??? EVGA SuperNOVA 550W Gold PSU for $39 @ B&H

stellarshy

RRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ITS A G3 ITZ GON TO SPLODE RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

/s

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

8 minutes ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

RRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ITS A G3 ITZ GON TO SPLODE RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

/s

In seriousness to anyone wondering about this, I think the general consensus is that the G3 series is exceptional with the potential concern about the OPP protection being slow to kick in. So if you get a 550 W power supply and load it up to 800 W, it might not automatically shut down until it's way too hot.

More info:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-supernova-650-g3-psu,5533-12.html

http://www.coolermaster.com/power-supply-calculator/

2 minutes ago, stellarshy said:

In seriousness to anyone wondering about this, I think the general consensus is that the G3 series is exceptional with the potential concern about the OPP protection being slow to kick in. So if you get a 550 W power supply and load it up to 800 W, it might not automatically shut down until it's way too hot.

More info:

Good idea, although I believe OTP is also a concern, no? @STRMfrmXMN @Stefan Payne @LienusLateTips

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

She/they 

2 minutes ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Good idea, although I believe OTP is also a concern, no? @STRMfrmXMN @Stefan Payne @LienusLateTips

Yes, here is the information from Tom's review:

Protection Features

Check out our PSUs 101 article to learn more about PSU protection features. Our protection features evaluation methodology is described in detail here.

Protection Features
OCP 12V: 77.82A (143.8%), 11.069V
5V: 30.25A (137.5%), 5.15V
3.3V: 30.5A (127.1%), 3.23V
5VSB: 5A (166.67%), 4.919V
OPP 915.48W (140.8%)
OTP ✓ (180°C @ secondary side)
SCP 12V: ✓
5V: ✓
3.3V: ✓
5VSB: ✓
-12V: ✓
PWR_OK Operates properly
NLO
SIP Surge: MOV
Inrush: NTC thermistor & bypass relay

The PSU shuts down with 77.82A on its +12V rail. We suspect that this is not because of over-current protection on this rail, but due to under-voltage protection.

In our opinion, this PSU's over-power protection is set too high; it should kick in at around 120-125% of the maximum-rated capacity to keep the +12V rail within spec.

Over-temperature protection has a pretty high triggering point, too. This is something we've encountered in plenty of semi-passive PSUs.

2 minutes ago, stellarshy said:

-snippity snip snip-

So you just have to be careful about not overloading the PSU is all

She/they 

17 minutes ago, stellarshy said:

I think the general consensus is that the G3 series is exceptional with the potential concern about the OPP protection being slow to kick in.

It can't be exceptional (at least not in the way you mean) and be a safety concern. xD

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

59 minutes ago, stellarshy said:

More info:

For one, please no power supply calculators until someone kicks their heads in and they make something even remotely accurate...

Two, yes, OTP and OPP are issues the G3 faces. It's fine for 99% of people who don't put their PC inside of a sandbag and load it up with dual Titans, but it's something worth noting.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

12 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Two, yes, OTP and OPP are issues the G3 faces. It's fine for 99% of people who don't put their PC inside of a sandbag and load it up with dual Titans, but it's something worth noting.

That's my understanding as well.

55 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

It can't be exceptional (at least not in the way you mean) and be a safety concern. xD

Y I think the issues are worth noting, but even the Tom's reviewer who identified those potential concerns concludes that it is an excellent unit.