What CPU to buy

So I need to get a new PC for schoolwork and the occasional gaming. For school i normally need to use Microsoft word and multiple chrome windows/tabs open at the same time.

I also do the occasional video editing. 

Sometimes I might want to try play some Fortnite on the PC but was thinking of adding a GTX 1050ti later on. 

Would a Ryzen 3 2200G be good enough for my CPU and GPU needs or would I be best to get the Core i3-8100 and just get the 1050ti

2200G is lower overall investment than the other choice, and gives the potential option to move to a discrete GPU+higher performance processor later. And since AMD you're nearly guaranteed to be able to overclock at least a little.

Rawr.

I'd go with the 2200g and potentially a gpu upgrade to a 1050ti in the future. Although stock clocks are ever so slightly worse than the i3, the 2200g can be overclocked for higher performance while the i3 can't. 

print "Hello World!" ("Hello World!")

What's your budget? At lower price points it's often worth the hassle to buy used parts because you can get a much more powerful system

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

If possible get last gen ryzen and get the 1050 ti up front it will be way worth it

7 hours ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

What's your budget? At lower price points it's often worth the hassle to buy used parts because you can get a much more powerful system

My budget is around £550 but the used market is really broken where I live with people still thinking their components are worth what they paid for them

8 hours ago, Airdragonz said:

I'd go with the 2200g and potentially a gpu upgrade to a 1050ti in the future. Although stock clocks are ever so slightly worse than the i3, the 2200g can be overclocked for higher performance while the i3 can't. 

This is what I’ll probably go for thanks, I was just worried about the slightly worse CPU performance on the 2200G

15 minutes ago, ukpcneeded said:

My budget is around £550 but the used market is really broken where I live with people still thinking their components are worth what they paid for them

This is what I’ll probably go for thanks, I was just worried about the slightly worse CPU performance on the 2200G

There's also the 2400G, which is more expensive, but also has a better IGPU and 4C/8T instead of just 4C/4T. You could hold off on buying a GPU and go with the 2400 first. Get DDR4-3000 or 3200 if you can.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

2 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

There's also the 2400G, which is more expensive, but also has a better IGPU and 4C/8T instead of just 4C/4T. You could hold off on buying a GPU and go with the 2400 first. Get DDR4-3000 or 3200 if you can.

The 2400G is probably the best idea as I was looking at that as well. I wasn’t sure what RAM speed to get so thank you for that. Would slower RAM be an issue because I have heard of some incompatibilities with some types of RAM with Ryzen

2 minutes ago, ukpcneeded said:

The 2400G is probably the best idea as I was looking at that as well. I wasn’t sure what RAM speed to get so thank you for that. Would slower RAM be an issue because I have heard of some incompatibilities with some types of RAM with Ryzen

RAM compatibility is pretty decent these days. BIOS updates have fixed a lot. Slower memory will make your graphics run slower, so get  3000 or 3200. Price wise, it's also the sweet spot.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

2 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

RAM compatibility is pretty decent these days. BIOS updates have fixed a lot. Slower memory will make your graphics run slower, so get  3000 or 3200. Price wise, it's also the sweet spot.

Thanks for the advice there you’ve pretty much answered all my questions