Apple is addressing the 2018 Macbook Pro Throttling problem

Hunter259
9 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

I haven’t mentioned it until now, but ever since Oreo, my Note8 has a weird issue.

It’s really slow to wake up from sleep at times. I have the iris sensor enabled and it would fire up but the screen would take several seconds to fire up after the iris sensor. I haven’t asked if S8 and other Note8 owners have it but I did do a factory reset after the upgrade.

Holy shit yeah I have had that issue too! I have an iPhone X now and my S8 is currently with someone else but if you want, when I get it back I can try wipe it and see if that fixes it or if its to do with the iris scanner for sure?

I think it’s a bit too soon to tell.

We don’t know exactly what they did until someone can do a deeper analysis.

I still think that it’s a tweak in either the scheduler or the part of the firmware which governs power management, which means a voltage tweak.

A voltage tweak would actually help the VRMs a bit since they wouldn’t be as likely to be overloaded immensely because pre-patch and especially before tweaks, the CPU would be forced to power-throttle due to the VRMs heating up to very high levels in particular due to the high power demands that it cannot cope with especially since the cooling solution doesn’t account for VRM temperatures. 

It’s still a flawed design, but knowing Apple, we won’t see a major redesign of another MBP in at least 2 more years. Maybe by then, we would actually get a MBP that is capable of high performance without being overly massive (while also being thick enough to house a good cooler)

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 hour ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

I don’t think there’s a ton of people here who dislike Rossmann.

Of course, there’s a number who don’t like him for whatever reason, maybe they dislike his character, maybe they think he comes across as a bit of a dick, etc.

But at least for me, I like him because I like what he does, which is doing board-level repairs and even keeping some machines running when officially authorized service centers couldn’t do so (even if they wanted to). I’m just bummed that he doesn’t carry parts for a 2009 MBP

i don't have any love for Apple, but even i can't stand the dude, all he does is badmouth Apple non stop. I mean it's all negative videos. Made for clicks and views.

3 minutes ago, TechGod said:

Holy shit yeah I have had that issue too! I have an iPhone X now and my S8 is currently with someone else but if you want, when I get it back I can try wipe it and see if that fixes it or if its to do with the iris scanner for sure?

If you could, that’d be awesome.

It’s not a massive issue for me but it’s really annoying. I don’t know why I haven’t heard much of it 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 minute ago, asus killer said:

i don't have any love for Apple, but even i can't stand the dude, all he does is badmouth Apple non stop. I mean it's all negative videos. Made for clicks and views.

Well he definitely does the channel for self promotion, that was the point of the whole thing. He says it was to educate people but at the end of the day it is to attract people to Store.RossmannGroup.com, lol. 

And yes, he does have a negative disposition to Apple because all he sees are the product that fail. He doesn't see all the products that don't end up in his shop because they work perfectly fine, all he sees are the products that have failed and naturally his views are shaped by that. 

As for his character he can be hit or miss. One video he can seem like a genuine guy and the next he could be a total jerk who is talking out of his a*s with very little to back him up. 

I'm indifferent to him, I watch his videos and if they are good I like and move on. If they are bad I dislike and leave my thoughts in the comments. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

3 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

It’s not a massive issue for me but it’s really annoying. I don’t know why I haven’t heard much of it 

What issue? 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

10 minutes ago, asus killer said:

i don't have any love for Apple, but even i can't stand the dude,

I think I’d rather have something be liked and disliked fairly with opinions than something that’s either universally loved like some sort of cult or disliked universally.

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

What issue? 

Note8 being very slow to wake up from sleep at times 

Never happened with Nougat. Only since Oreo

4 minutes ago, asus killer said:

That's not true at all.  If you watch them you'll see he's perfectly willing to call out when they do something right.  His main point is to point out when they do something wrong because there seems to be a distinct lack of that compared with when other companies do wrong, and ignoring or suppressing problems is bad for the consumer, and for the market as a whole, and capitalism in general.  He's also not one of those people who just blindly and stupidly bashes apple for no reason because it's trendy or something, he points that behaviour out as stupid and discourages it.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

That's not true at all.  If you watch them you'll see he's perfectly willing to call out when they do something right.  His main point is to point out when they do something wrong because there seems to be a distinct lack of that compared with when other companies do wrong, and ignoring or suppressing problems is bad for the consumer, and for the market as a whole, and capitalism in general.  He's also not one of those people who just blindly and stupidly bashes apple for no reason because it's trendy or something, he points that behaviour out as stupid and discourages it.

I remember in his recent videos that Rossmann mentioned that Macs are actually very suitable for creative work.

Of which I agree. There’s something appealing about them when it comes for creative work. Not saying that Windows PCs can’t do them as well, but the Mac just looks more appealing probably due to their calibrated displays out of the box or software like Final Cut

2 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

I remember in his recent videos that Rossmann mentioned that Macs are actually very suitable for creative work.

Of which I agree. There’s something appealing about them when it comes for creative work. Not saying that Windows PCs can’t do them as well, but the Mac just looks more appealing probably due to their calibrated displays out of the box or software like Final Cut

Their software is great for it, the kernel/OS is even better suited for it (lower audio latency when recording), the displays are great for visual work - yeah it all comes together.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

But it is. While sure, he may have recently said a few good things about Apple products it is definitely overwhelmingly negative

15 minutes ago, TechGod said:

Wut?

Amazing logic. 

15 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

There, you answered your own question. 

So does something have to be perfect the first time for you to like it/recommend it? Doesn't seem very practical. 

When the first time has a flaw showing grave negligence in quality control, then yes a fix shouldn't magically be recommended when a fix is proposed.

For all we know it could be a new flaw waiting to happen because the fix creates another problem.

And @TechGod if you want to be taken seriously  as a non pro Apple chill, try not to dismiss valid arguments with sarcastic remarks. It shows you have a critical thinking blind spot.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Their software is great for it, the kernel/OS is even better suited for it (lower audio latency when recording), the displays are great for visual work - yeah it all comes together.

Yep. I feel that Apple, like all companies, deserve credit where it is due.

But I also wish that people aren’t afraid to acknowledge legitimate issues for the sake of improvement, not for the sake of hate 

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Hell, they're amazing machines for programming too IMO. Or just general use case too.

Just now, TechGod said:

But it is. While sure, he may have recently said a few good things about Apple products it is definitely overwhelmingly negative

Well, yes it is overwhelmingly negative but again, his main goal is to bring the problems to light so that's to be expected.  It's not to give an ongoing continuous review of the company as a whole.

2 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

When the first time has a flaw showing grave negligence in quality control, then yes a fix shouldn't magically be recommended when a fix is proposed.

For all we know it could be a new flaw waiting to happen because the fix creates another problem.

And @TechGod if you want to be taken seriously  as a non pro Apple chill, try not to dismiss valid arguments with sarcastic remarks. It shows you have a critical thinking blind spot.

I don't see your point as valid though. 

So say a product has an issue and then it gets fixed it shouldn't be purchased at all? Despite the fact that Apple has a mostly good track record?

Well, yes it is overwhelmingly negative but again, his main goal is to bring the problems to light so that's to be expected.  It's not to give an ongoing continuous review of the company as a whole.

It’s probably because of what he does.

He runs a repair shop that specializes in repairs on Apple products, down to the board-level. He’s exposed to more broken products than many people normally are.

That's a very fair point. 

10 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Note8 being very slow to wake up from sleep at times 

Never happened with Nougat. Only since Oreo

Hmm, idk Android. If it was iOS I would say disable raise to wake but I don't think the Note 8 has that, lol. 

Must be something with the power management that changed in Oreo. 

Just now, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

It’s probably because of what he does.

He runs a repair shop that specializes in repairs on Apple products, down to the board-level. He’s exposed to more broken products than many people normally are.

Due to this he makes issues seem much worse or widespread than they are.

The keyboard issues were of course a  massive problem but it seems every other day he comes up with more reasons Apple is shit.  

17 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

I'll try it when I get it. Should get it back end of this week. 

4 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Hmm, idk Android. If it was iOS I would say disable raise to wake but I don't think the Note 8 has that, lol. 

Nah, it doesn’t have raise-to-wake xD

3 minutes ago, TechGod said:

Due to this he makes issues seem much worse or widespread than they are.

The keyboard issues were of course a  massive problem but it seems every other day he comes up with more reasons Apple is shit.  

I think Rossmann focuses more on the “what” and “why”. Keep in mind that he’s from a repair guy’s perspective, so it’s different from what an end-user or exec would have.

It’s up to the consumer to decide if it’s a valid concern or overblown. 

1 minute ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Nah, it doesn’t have raise-to-wake xD

Well assuming Android behaves like every other OS, when you press the home/power button you are giving the SoC a command to ramp up and give power to all the things that need it. Something in the version you updated to must be causing some conflicts which result in the delay. 

Sorry that all I can do is state the obvious uwu

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

Well assuming Android behaves like every other OS, when you press the home/power button you are giving the SoC a command to ramp up and give power to all the things that need it. Something in the version you updated to must be causing some conflicts which result in the delay. 

Sorry that all I can do is state the obvious uwu

Still trying to know why.

The only other device in my possession with Oreo is a Huawei, and that phone didn’t have much of an issue with waking. I think it’s another one of those odd quirks with Samsung ‘software’