GPU's in Monitors

GS Caden

I was wondering, why hasn't there been any high-end monitors with built in graphics cards to ease the strain on computer systems? 
Is it simply not possible to code that into windows, or maybe not able to be done cheap enough to apply in the market?
After recently watching Linus's video about the "ULTIMATE Gaming Monitor!" this idea has been crossing my mind quite a lot recently.

This is also my first post on the forum so feel free to say hi. xD

The GPU needs to communicate with the CPU and so putting it in the monitor means you need some kind of high-speed connection between the monitor and PC. That would get expensive and probably clunky.

To add, people already have a hard time spending more than 350$ on a monitor, while decent non-gaming monitor floats in the 500-700$ for the same size.

Adding a GPU or some sort of co-processor, will add additional cost to the monitor that is quite significant.

I can see this being possible now with eGPUs being a thing. However, I can see a few problems that don't make it worthwhile:

• Cost. Adding a GPU and a power supply to handle it will easily add at least $400 to the cost.
  • Support. You'll need Thunderbolt 3, which not every computer has
  • Relevancy and value over time. The GPU is likely not going to be upgradeable. Monitors are also things that people often keep around for as long as they can. So imagine having a five year old monitor with a GPU in it that you can't upgrade. Unless there's some way to bypass the GPU and use the monitor as is, you'll be stuck with that performance for as long as you have the monitor.

Cost of upgrades. Imagine having a high-end 1280x720 for Doom and then needing to buy another for Witcher 3 because the GPU can't handle rendering the latter at 720. 

@M.Yurizaki mentioned everything I was going to write. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

9 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I can see this being possible now with eGPUs being a thing. However, I can see a few problems that don't make it worthwhile:

• Cost. Adding a GPU and a power supply to handle it will easily add at least $400 to the cost.
  • Support. You'll need Thunderbolt 3, which not every computer has
  • Relevancy and value over time. The GPU is likely not going to be upgradeable. Monitors are also things that people often keep around for as long as they can. So imagine having a five year old monitor with a GPU in it that you can't upgrade. Unless there's some way to bypass the GPU and use the monitor as is, you'll be stuck with that performance for as long as you have the monitor.

What about an application, similar but not to Gsync?

The most important point is that it WOULDN'T take any strain off the PC, it would merely replace the GPU in the PC only with far less flexibility for upgrading it.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7