Shared fans for CPU and GPU - can it be done?

My current setup:

Strix X99 motherboard

Strix 1080Ti

AIO cooling my CPU

All Noctua fans

I'm looking to watercool my GPU so that it runs quieter when gaming, so I've been looking at the EK Phoenix 280 to replace my Corsair H115i and so I can waterblock the GPU.

My current setup in my Enthoo case is H115i at the front with 2x 140mm fans pulling air in when the CPU gets warm.

The on-board GPU fans are controlled by MSi Afterburner and I also have a couple of fans in the top of the case connected to the extra GPU headers to pull cool air in when the card needs it.

+ 1 regular 140mm fan exhausting at the rear of the case

The mod I'd like to do to my PC is to:

Fit the EK Phoenix 280 to both GPU and CPU.

Front mount the Radiator to replace the H115i

Reuse my current AIO fans plus the extra fans in the top of the case and make put them on the EK block in push/pull.

Take the fans that come with the EK rad and put them in the top to act as low RPM airflow for the RAM and chipset (and aid in positive pressure).

The question I have is how to set it so that when either the CPU and/or the GPU gets hot, the radiator fans ramp up to cool the loop.

At the moment the CPU is controlled by the BIOS and GPU by MSi.

Is this something that SpeedFan could do?

If yes, I've seen that you can set up different Fan Controllers (under the top tab: Fan Control | Advanced Fan Control) where you can control fans based on different parameters, but if CPU temps are low and GPU high, could the low CPU temp override the high GPU and prevent the fans from spinning up?

If you've done this already and it works, would you be willing to share your config and settings?

Ta

Edited by WeeemRCB
Typos
----------------------------
        Weem

SpeedFan could do that, but that software is a pain to configure (for the first time) and since it is not updated it might not even work with your hardware.
Maybe consider controling the fans based on the water temperature? A Aquacomputer Quadro would do the job (with water temperature sensors).

If you mobo supports external temp sensors, you can connect the water temp sensor to the mobo and configure one of the fan headers (in bios) on the mobo to be controlled by this external water temp sensor. This way if either your cpu or gpu or both under load the water temp will rise and cause the fans to speed up

CPU: i7 8700K OC 5.0 gHz, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero (Z170), RAM: 32gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Asus Strix OC gtx 1080ti, Storage: Samsung 950pro 500gb, samsung 860evo 500gb, 2x2Tb + 6Tb HDD,Case: Lian Li PC O11 dynamic, Cooling: Very custom loop.

CPU: i7 8700K, Motherboard Asus z390i, RAM:32gb g.skill RGB 3200, GPU: EVGA Gtx 1080ti SC Black, Storage: samsung 960evo 500gb, samsung 860evo 1tb (M.2) Case: lian li q37. Cooling: on the way to get watercooled (EKWB, HWlabs, Noctua, Barrow)

CPU: i7 9400F, Motherboard: Z170i pro gaming, RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Sapphire Vega56 pulse with Bykski waterblock, Storage: wd blue 500gb (windows) Samsung 860evo 500Gb (MacOS), PSU Corsair sf600 Case: Motif Monument aluminium replica, Cooling: Custom water cooling loop

I'd keep the 115i on the CPU and get one of those NZXT graphics card brackets and a corsair H90 or 110 for the card

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

On 22/07/2018 at 9:11 PM, aezakmi said:

I'd keep the 115i on the CPU and get one of those NZXT graphics card brackets and a corsair H90 or 110 for the card

I had thought about that, but I heard a couple of people had troubles cooling the v-ram and I remember Jayz2Cents had issues with the backplate or adapter needing modification to allow the AIO to sit on the GPU die.

Plus ... this looks sexier with the clear GPU block on there :) (yea yea, I know)

What I might end up doing is keeping the H115i for the cpu and move it to the top of the case.

Then use the EK Phoenix with only the GPU block. That way each has its own radiator and the CPU rad has the least favorable position as I game waay more than I render video and streaming doesn't use that much load.

It also means I can leave the CPU running with the PWM settings in the BIOS (which I think is safer for it) and run just the GPU from SpeedFan or MSi (if possible)

It arrived today, so I just need to figure out how to wire the other pump up the the board now...

Weem

On 22/07/2018 at 9:05 PM, MaratM said:

If you mobo supports external temp sensors, you can connect the water temp sensor to the mobo and configure one of the fan headers (in bios) on the mobo to be controlled by this external water temp sensor. This way if either your cpu or gpu or both under load the water temp will rise and cause the fans to speed up

I think it does.

From the Strix X99 manual:

Thermal Sensor connector (2-pin T_SENSOR1)
This connector is for the thermistor cable that monitors the temperature of the devices and the critical components inside the motherboard. Connect the thermistor cable and place the sensor on the device or the motherboard’s component to detect its temperature.

Weem

Ok, so in the end I went back to my original idea :)

I now have the Predator front mounted for best airflow with 4x 140mm fans in push/pull.

It's all wired up and ready to test.

Kinda annoying that EK don't include the power jumper in the box so you can test the system for leaks (they say to test for 24hrs).

tbc...

Weem

On 25.07.2018 at 6:04 PM, WeeemRCB said:

Ok, so in the end I went back to my original idea :)

I now have the Predator front mounted for best airflow with 4x 140mm fans in push/pull.

It's all wired up and ready to test.

Kinda annoying that EK don't include the power jumper in the box so you can test the system for leaks (they say to test for 24hrs).

tbc...

A paper clip does the job nicely)

CPU: i7 8700K OC 5.0 gHz, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero (Z170), RAM: 32gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Asus Strix OC gtx 1080ti, Storage: Samsung 950pro 500gb, samsung 860evo 500gb, 2x2Tb + 6Tb HDD,Case: Lian Li PC O11 dynamic, Cooling: Very custom loop.

CPU: i7 8700K, Motherboard Asus z390i, RAM:32gb g.skill RGB 3200, GPU: EVGA Gtx 1080ti SC Black, Storage: samsung 960evo 500gb, samsung 860evo 1tb (M.2) Case: lian li q37. Cooling: on the way to get watercooled (EKWB, HWlabs, Noctua, Barrow)

CPU: i7 9400F, Motherboard: Z170i pro gaming, RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Sapphire Vega56 pulse with Bykski waterblock, Storage: wd blue 500gb (windows) Samsung 860evo 500Gb (MacOS), PSU Corsair sf600 Case: Motif Monument aluminium replica, Cooling: Custom water cooling loop