Air Conditioning and Dust Prevention

Go to solution Solved by Syntaxvgm,
28 minutes ago, Hiro Hamada said:

1. Size of my room as shown. Its a top view and you may get the idea of my room. Its really small

2. Idk about what unit of AC/idk anything about AC though

3. No sunlight at all here

4. My place - Southern India

5. Temp - 35° - 45° approx

IMG_20180720_204134.jpg

IMG_20180720_204130.jpg

Typically, you'd only need a 5000 btu ( the smallest) window unit for that size of room. But given you see such high temps, I'd go for the 8,000 btu range. Over sizing ac units ins't great and reduces the effectiveness of the humidity reduction, which is the difference between being hot and being miserable and hot. 

Here, btu ratings are typically used for small ac unis, and we only measure in tonnes for central units. But apparently in India you guys measure window units in tonnes, probably because it's really fucking hot. 1 Tonne is 12,000 BTU
I stuck a 10ftx10ft room with no windows not on the ground floor with floors above it into a calculator and picking some southern city, Bangalore I think, as a location, I got  .75 tonne, which is about 9,000 btu I think, so I wasn't far off. Again, you dont want to oversize them, itll be more humid if you do. 
I think thats about as small as you can get there, and it should be enough. If you're interested, the calc is here 
https://www.bluestarindia.com/roomacs/tonnage-requirement.asp

When it asks for tube light and people, those add heat. 400 BTU person and about 340 btu per 100 watts. Remember, whatever wattage a light consumes is what it produces in heat. 
I wouldn't get any bigger unless you plan to cool more than that room ,but with window units it can be hard to get the air to circulate to other rooms. 

If you dont have a window, you'll have to get a portable unit (less efficient, generally suck) and pipe the heat elsewhere or get a ductless mini-split installed, which are more expensive but fairly popular there. These will require professional help to install. 

Image result for ductless mini split

Hello I don't wanna be ridiculous but I gotta clear a few things. I got a closed room and I got heavy dust accumulation in my room and I got no idea how to reduce or stop the dust coming from the main door of my room. 

1. Does installing an AC would stop dust?

2. Suggest me a good quality blower please in INR

3. Idk about vaccuum cleaners because the sucktion may be less effective than the blower that blows the dust from small corners

4. Also I my room is small and what kinda AC should I use? What capacity...1 tonne of 2 tonne? Would VOLTAS/BLUESTAR be a best choice?

Please drop your best sugessions. It would be a great help

16 minutes ago, Hiro Hamada said:

Hello I don't wanna be ridiculous but I gotta clear a few things. I got a closed room and I got heavy dust accumulation in my room and I got no idea how to reduce or stop the dust coming from the main door of my room. 

1. Does installing an AC would stop dust?

2. Suggest me a good quality blower please in INR

3. Idk about vaccuum cleaners because the sucktion may be less effective than the blower that blows the dust from small corners

4. Also I my room is small and what kinda AC should I use? What capacity...1 tonne of 2 tonne? Would VOLTAS/BLUESTAR be a best choice?

Please drop your best sugessions. It would be a great help

One suggestion I would drop is to take a 20 inch box fan, had for about 15$ us, and tape a 20x20 furnace filter to the back of it using duct tape. This is a cheap and very effective air filter, and new filters can be had from as low as 5$. And with more expensive filters, they'll even get smell out. 
Image result for box fan with filter

Unlike this picture, you should cover the entire border with duct tape. 

For the AC, they have a filter, but the filter is meant to stop dust for the ac unit itself and is very porous if that's the right word. Meant to not restric air flow too much 

For sizing, what type of unit are you buying and what are the dimensions of the room, how mcuh sunlight does it get, how well insulated and where do you live/what temps 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

21 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

One suggestion I would drop is to take a 20 inch box fan, had for about 15$ us, and tape a 20x20 furnace filter to the back of it using duct tape. This is a cheap and very effective air filter, and new filters can be had from as low as 5$. And with more expensive filters, they'll even get smell out. 
Image result for box fan with filter

Unlike this picture, you should cover the entire border with duct tape. 

For the AC, they have a filter, but the filter is meant to stop dust for the ac unit itself and is very porous if that's the right word. Meant to not restric air flow too much 

For sizing, what type of unit are you buying and what are the dimensions of the room, how mcuh sunlight does it get, how well insulated and where do you live/what temps 

1. Size of my room as shown. Its a top view and you may get the idea of my room. Its really small

IMG_20180720_204134.jpg

IMG_20180720_204130.jpg

28 minutes ago, Hiro Hamada said:

IMG_20180720_204134.jpg

IMG_20180720_204130.jpg

Typically, you'd only need a 5000 btu ( the smallest) window unit for that size of room. But given you see such high temps, I'd go for the 8,000 btu range. Over sizing ac units ins't great and reduces the effectiveness of the humidity reduction, which is the difference between being hot and being miserable and hot. 

Here, btu ratings are typically used for small ac unis, and we only measure in tonnes for central units. But apparently in India you guys measure window units in tonnes, probably because it's really fucking hot. 1 Tonne is 12,000 BTU
I stuck a 10ftx10ft room with no windows not on the ground floor with floors above it into a calculator and picking some southern city, Bangalore I think, as a location, I got  .75 tonne, which is about 9,000 btu I think, so I wasn't far off. Again, you dont want to oversize them, itll be more humid if you do. 
I think thats about as small as you can get there, and it should be enough. If you're interested, the calc is here 

When it asks for tube light and people, those add heat. 400 BTU person and about 340 btu per 100 watts. Remember, whatever wattage a light consumes is what it produces in heat. 
I wouldn't get any bigger unless you plan to cool more than that room ,but with window units it can be hard to get the air to circulate to other rooms. 

If you dont have a window, you'll have to get a portable unit (less efficient, generally suck) and pipe the heat elsewhere or get a ductless mini-split installed, which are more expensive but fairly popular there. These will require professional help to install. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

41 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Oh my! I learnt a lot of things about AC today. Great thanks! Well I got one question though. Does decreasing room temperature decrease dust accumulation since I've heard that dust accumulates mostly on dry weather and not on cold weather. Maybe if so then I gotta install a decent split AC of 1 tonne will do good for me. I've just asked a guy here and he said 1 tonne AC is the minimum config that AC machines are equipped with right now. There is no half tonne or quarter tonne available here lol. 

If the temperature here that is responsible for the high amt of dust here, I'm definitely gonna install an AC here

7 hours ago, Hiro Hamada said:

Oh my! I learnt a lot of things about AC today. Great thanks! Well I got one question though. Does decreasing room temperature decrease dust accumulation since I've heard that dust accumulates mostly on dry weather and not on cold weather. Maybe if so then I gotta install a decent split AC of 1 tonne will do good for me. I've just asked a guy here and he said 1 tonne AC is the minimum config that AC machines are equipped with right now. There is no half tonne or quarter tonne available here lol. 

If the temperature here that is responsible for the high amt of dust here, I'm definitely gonna install an AC here

I'm not sure. I think with less relative humidity there would be a higher chance of dust collection, but either way if you have a dust problem I'd really go for that cheap box fan and filter method. If you live in a dusty environment, you may want to check your ac filter and clean it often. 

muh specs 

All parts black

22 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

I'm not sure. I think with less relative humidity there would be a higher chance of dust collection, but either way if you have a dust problem I'd really go for that cheap box fan and filter method. If you live in a dusty environment, you may want to check your ac filter and clean it often. 

Many thanks. I'm sure I'll use a dust filter when I install my AC in my room

unnamed.png

7 hours ago, Amazonsucks said:

In addition to the dust filter in the AC(make sure you chajge it reguluarly) you could get a small HEPA filter.

https://www.honeywellstore.com/store/category/air-purifiers.htm

yah that was my suggestion with the box fan, it basically does the same thing but cheaper. Those are an option as well. 

muh specs 

All parts black

1 hour ago, Syntaxvgm said:

yah that was my suggestion with the box fan, it basically does the same thing but cheaper. Those are an option as well. 

The charcoal filter on the HEPAs help with air quality as well. The UV sterilization ones are good for keeping the unit germ free but i personally have one of the big cylindrical ones since the AC has the built in UV light.