Static IP Assignment

So my ISP is Spectrum and they have provided me with an Arris TG1682G as my router. I am a learning student and like to explore with networking and such so I decided to subnet my network and divide the wired and wireless. I purchased a  TP-Link TL-ER5120 V2, Netgear GS724T, and a Netgear GS748TPS. The network is addressed as so: Arris TG1682G - 192.168.1.1, TP-Link - 192.168.0.1. I have a physical connection going from LAN1 on the Arris to the WAN port on the TP-Link. I then have a physical connection on LAN1 on the TP-Link connecting to the Netgear GS724T switch, from there I connect the two switches with another physical connection. So the TP-Link Router has a static IP route going to the 192.168.1.1 subnet so the wired clients can see the wireless. But now my issue is getting a static route to my TP-Link from the Arris. I cannot find out a way to do so on the GUI of the Arris Router and I've looked on other forums. No luck. Any suggestions will help! and yes I want to keep the network subnetted to that's not an option to get rid of. 

network.png

Why not get your own modem from the store as well as another router to replace the TG1862. I would personally invest in some enterprise hardware as well, you can pick up a Cisco router on eBay for about $65 (depending on the model).

Here is what the topology would look like:

-> AP 1

ISP -> Modem -> Router -> Switch |

-> AP 2

On 7/20/2018 at 4:58 PM, droidrzrlover said:

Why not get your own modem from the store as well as another router to replace the TG1862. I would personally invest in some enterprise hardware as well, you can pick up a Cisco router on eBay for about $65 (depending on the model).

Here is what the topology would look like:

-> AP 1

ISP -> Modem -> Router -> Switch |

-> AP 2

If I were to buy a new Modem and Router I would have to get it approved with my ISP correct? Since it's getting the WAN connection from Spectrum? Also I'm assuming the benefit from buying my own router would be better options with networking?

Not necessarily, it depends on the ISP.  You also may be able to switch the current router into bridge mode, in which case you can use a plain ethernet router connected into it, avoiding needing to remove the ISPs router.

Personally though, I wouldn't mess with different networks.  It just causes problems if for some reason you need a wired and wireless device to talk to each other.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

14 hours ago, Shiaprise said:

If I were to buy a new Modem and Router I would have to get it approved with my ISP correct? Since it's getting the WAN connection from Spectrum? Also I'm assuming the benefit from buying my own router would be better options with networking?

You are correct, you will need to give Spectrum the HFC MAC address and the serial number of the modem. The router doesn't have to get approved by the ISP. 

8 hours ago, droidrzrlover said:

You are correct, you will need to give Spectrum the HFC MAC address and the serial number of the modem. The router doesn't have to get approved by the ISP. 

So I would set the ISP router into bridged mode and get another modem to provide WIFI and also be able to have a static IP route to the other segment of the network?

14 hours ago, Shiaprise said:

So I would set the ISP router into bridged mode and get another modem to provide WIFI and also be able to have a static IP route to the other segment of the network?

I would get a standalone cable modem and if you want to go with enterprise equipment, I would recommend Cisco equipment. If not, then get a consumer router that can create static routes.

How I have my network set up is Cable Modem -> Edge Router (Cisco 2951) -> Cisco ASA 5510 x2 -> Cisco Catalyst 3560-X -> Cisco Meraki MR33