i7 8700k or Ryzen 7 2700X?

I am upgrading a system that is about 4 intel generations old. But checking the new releases of the new AMD Processors, i've been doubting a lot. I use my system for heavy gaming (Witcher 3, Destiny 2, Battlefield 1/4, Fortnite and up comming games), as well as some light video editing and some heavy 3D rendering as I'm an architecture student. So I wanted to know, which CPU fits best my needs. I want a future proof system that might last for atleast 3-4 years. I am currently on a GTX970 but waiting for new nvidia gpus to release, so ill be pairing the to be chosen cpu with the 1-80 GPU of the new architecture. Please help me decide wether should I get the i7 8700k or the Ryzen 7 2700X, I have been doubting for over a week and I really need to know which is better.

I would suggest that you go for a i7 8700K becuase it is a really good CPU and it's really future-proof so you wouldn't have to upgrade your CPU for atleast 5 years then!

Have a great day! 

Corsair iCUE 4000X RGB

ASUS ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING

Ryzen 5900X

Corsair Hydro H150i Pro 360mm AIO

Ballistix 32GB (4x8GB) 3600MHz CL16 RGB

Samsung 980 PRO 1TB

Samsung 970 EVO 1TB

Gigabyte RTX 3060 Ti GAMING OC

Corsair RM850X

Predator XB273UGS QHD IPS 165 Hz

iPhone 13 Pro 128GB Graphite

Both are good cpus. The 2700x is the better value but the 8700k is a better performance cpu when overlooked to 5ghz. So either get the 2700x and run it at stock with it's stock cooler or get the 8700k and get a nice beefy cooler or aio and crank it up to 5ghz. Those are the only 2 options that make sense. I love my 2700x and it is a great value cpu and will suit your needs well. The 8700k is really good for high single threaded performance but at a premium. 

On 7/19/2018 at 4:07 PM, ne0tic said:

I would suggest that you go for a i7 8700K becuase it is a really good CPU and it's really future-proof so you wouldn't have to upgrade your CPU for atleast 5 years then!

Have a great day! 

I would say both cpus are going to be relevant for a long time tbh. I wouldn't say the 8700k has any advantage over the 2700x when it comes to being future proof. 

11 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Both are good cpus. The 2700x is the better value but the 8700k is a better performance cpu when overlooked to 5ghz. So either get the 2700x and run it at stock with it's stock cooler or get the 8700k and get a nice beefy cooler or aio and crank it up to 5ghz. Those are the only 2 options that make sense. I love my 2700x and it is a great value cpu and will suit your needs well. The 8700k is really good for high single threaded performance but at a premium. 

How is the gaming side on your R7? I've been thinking a lot on getting the R7, also which GPU do you have? Just want to know the gaming side on AMD

I really hate the term "future proof". X series of Ryzen processors also don't make sense unless the price difference is under 20 bucks since they don't really clock any different.

As far as Intel, I dislike how awful the cooling situation is with the goop below the IHS. A consumer shouldn't have to delid to get decent temperature.

17 minutes ago, NovaTronG said:

How is the gaming side on your R7? I've been thinking a lot on getting the R7, also which GPU do you have? Just want to know the gaming side on AMD

Having used both a Ryzen 5 1600 and an 8700K (which I currently use) I can say you'll be better off with the higher IPC and clocks of the 8700K than the extra cores, especially as 6 cores is still... more than 4

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

On 7/19/2018 at 4:22 PM, NovaTronG said:

I have the 1080ti. What resolution are you going to be playing at? The gaming on it is great. It plays everything I want at quite high fps. What games do you plan on playing?

On 7/19/2018 at 4:40 PM, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

Having used both a Ryzen 5 1600 and an 8700K (which I currently use) I can say you'll be better off with the higher IPC and clocks of the 8700K than the extra cores, especially as 6 cores is still... more than 4

Honestly the improvement between the 2700x and the 1700 was quite big for me especially with it allowing me to have higher clocked ram actually working. The 8700k is going to give you more fps but honestly with the fps I get I doubt I would notice the difference. 

2 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Honestly the improvement between the 2700x and the 1700 was quite big for me especially with it allowing me to have higher clocked ram actually working. The 8700k is going to give you more fps but honestly with the fps I get I doubt I would notice the difference. 

Well I mostly play CPU-heavy strategy/RTS type games so maybe I'm crazy

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

56 minutes ago, NovaTronG said:

I am upgrading a system that is about 4 intel generations old. But checking the new releases of the new AMD Processors, i've been doubting a lot. I use my system for heavy gaming (Witcher 3, Destiny 2, Battlefield 1/4, Fortnite and up comming games), as well as some light video editing and some heavy 3D rendering as I'm an architecture student. So I wanted to know, which CPU fits best my needs. I want a future proof system that might last for atleast 3-4 years. I am currently on a GTX970 but waiting for new nvidia gpus to release, so ill be pairing the to be chosen cpu with the 1-80 GPU of the new architecture. Please help me decide wether should I get the i7 8700k or the Ryzen 7 2700X, I have been doubting for over a week and I really need to know which is better.

I’d say 8700(k) it will demolish every game and keep up really wel with all rendering and stuff because it has 6 cores.

PC specs:

I7 8700

1x 8gb Ballistix Elite 3200MHZ

MSI Gaming Trio RTX 2080

G650M PSU

120gb Kingston SSD

3TB of HDD

NZXT S340 elite Black/Red

9 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I have the 1080ti. What resolution are you going to be playing at? The gaming on it is great. It plays everything I want at quite high fps. What games do you plan on playing?

I might go for 1440p, 4k is just to much for me. And im waiting for the new 1180 GPU. I play Witcher 3, destiny 2, Fortnite, GTA V, Farcry... quite demanding games. But the thing is that I dont game that much, just ocasionally, sometimes I dont even game for months, sometimes I game daily. Meanwhile, I do work for my studies daily, doing structural blueprints and then 3D Modelling them.

7 minutes ago, NovaTronG said:

I might go for 1440p, 4k is just to much for me. And im waiting for the new 1180 GPU. I play Witcher 3, destiny 2, Fortnite, GTA V, Farcry... quite demanding games. But the thing is that I dont game that much, just ocasionally, sometimes I dont even game for months, sometimes I game daily. Meanwhile, I do work for my studies daily, doing structural blueprints and then 3D Modelling them.

I7 8700k whould still demolish all those tasks and would perform way better in gaming.

PC specs:

I7 8700

1x 8gb Ballistix Elite 3200MHZ

MSI Gaming Trio RTX 2080

G650M PSU

120gb Kingston SSD

3TB of HDD

NZXT S340 elite Black/Red

I would go Intel too. Only thing the Ryzen has over it is probably a little bit better multi tasking and workstation skills like editing and rendering. Overall Intel would be pretty good in all subjects, gaming, desktop usage, etc. Also Intel would be better long term since they are more reliable 

Main PC

------------

i5-9400f @2.9GHz | Corsair H100i Elite Capellix |Gigabyte RGB GTX1060 6GB | Corsair CX650M | Island Professional 120GB SSD | Toshiba 2TB HDD | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x16 DDR4 3200MHz  | Corsair iCUE 220T | Windows 10 Pro | CPU R20 Cinebench Score -  pts | OpenGL FPS -  FPS | Novabench Score (OC) -  Base - 

Keyboard and Mouse

------------

Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry Mx Red | Corsair Glaive RGB

Streaming PC (HP Compaq 8100 SFF)

------------

Xeon X3440 @2.53GHz | Radeon HD 6450 | HP Compaq 240watt PSU | Toshiba 1TB HDD | Samsung 2x4 DDR3 1333MHz | HP Compaq 8100 SFF | Windows 10 Pro | CPU Cinebench Score - 409 cb | OpenGL FPS - 16.77 FPS | Novabench Score (OC) - 991 Base - 938

Keyboard and Mouse

------------

Logitech G413 Silver White LED Romer-G Switch | Old Gateway Mouse

Monitors

------------

AOC - 21.5" IPS LED FHD Model - l2279VWHE | AOC - 24" TN Panel FHD 144hz 1ms Response - Model G2460PF

1 hour ago, AirSocial said:

I would go Intel too. Only thing the Ryzen has over it is probably a little bit better multi tasking and workstation skills like editing and rendering. Overall Intel would be pretty good in all subjects, gaming, desktop usage, etc. Also Intel would be better long term since they are more reliable 

Thats exactly what I need, editing and rendering... and both are reliable, I even believe Ryzen is more reliable, they have much better user friendly products, better service and higher quality (intel toothpaste between IHS and CPU die). Not sure tho 

If you need it for that then, I would say get the ryzen. Ryzen is good for gaming, but is focused on workstation. Intel is spread out to be good in every way.

Screenshot_8.png

Main PC

------------

i5-9400f @2.9GHz | Corsair H100i Elite Capellix |Gigabyte RGB GTX1060 6GB | Corsair CX650M | Island Professional 120GB SSD | Toshiba 2TB HDD | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x16 DDR4 3200MHz  | Corsair iCUE 220T | Windows 10 Pro | CPU R20 Cinebench Score -  pts | OpenGL FPS -  FPS | Novabench Score (OC) -  Base - 

Keyboard and Mouse

------------

Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry Mx Red | Corsair Glaive RGB

Streaming PC (HP Compaq 8100 SFF)

------------

Xeon X3440 @2.53GHz | Radeon HD 6450 | HP Compaq 240watt PSU | Toshiba 1TB HDD | Samsung 2x4 DDR3 1333MHz | HP Compaq 8100 SFF | Windows 10 Pro | CPU Cinebench Score - 409 cb | OpenGL FPS - 16.77 FPS | Novabench Score (OC) - 991 Base - 938

Keyboard and Mouse

------------

Logitech G413 Silver White LED Romer-G Switch | Old Gateway Mouse

Monitors

------------

AOC - 21.5" IPS LED FHD Model - l2279VWHE | AOC - 24" TN Panel FHD 144hz 1ms Response - Model G2460PF

Gamers nexus just did a video of rendering and the 8700k does better with premier video editing then Ryzen. Go Ryzen only if your on a budget. You want better performance and have the money go intel. 

Firestrike 
i7-8700k @5.0GHz w/ 1.30v, Corsair h100iv2, Gigabye Aorus gaming 7, 16GB(8x2) 2666MHz ddr4, Dual RX470's OC'd to 1390mhz(atm) in corssfire - liguid cooled with corsair h60's, 3.25 TB in Samsung SSD's, anidees white crystal cube case 

Retired:
i5-4440k @3.2GHz, gigabyte ga-z87x-ud5h z87, 24GB DDR3, 3x1TB Seagate Baracuda HDD.

Ok let's just get this straight. In basically all usecases, 8700k is bettter than the 2700x.

That said, what's the name of the software you use for 3D rendering?

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

5 hours ago, NovaTronG said:

Honestly either option would work. I wouldn't really worry about which one you choose. 

21 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

this is very important

he is only person here to ask so I'd listen to him

give you rough estimate here but not comparing to 8700k mce but that would be added cost to cool too

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Ryzen_7_2700X/20.html

On 7/20/2018 at 12:43 PM, SparkzMan9 said:

-snip-

There is a diffrence between saying I prefer Intel or saying I think Intel is better and saying Intel is the best. The first two statements clearly indicate that it's an opinion and not a fact while the latter implies it's a fact. If you want to state your opinion with no reasoning behind it then that's fine but you should try and convey that it's an opinion. I believe this is the root of why people dont like your comment and not that you have an opinion that differs from them. 

I think both of em are working quite fine but as soon as you're using your pc more as a workstatiln than as a gaming platform i think you should go for the ryzen cause of its higher thread count (which makes it more effective in tasks like rendering stuff) and its lower price. 

In my opinion you could also use it for gaming because i don't know any games which are not running completly smoothly on a ryzen 7 2700x :D 

Anyway this is already a long comment and i hope it helped you. 

P.s.: This is only my opinion on this and i could be not right so please dont hate me for giving advices! xD 

On 19/7/2018 at 10:08 PM, NoRomanBatmansAllowed said:

Ok let's just get this straight. In basically all usecases, 8700k is bettter than the 2700x.

That said, what's the name of the software you use for 3D rendering?

SketchUp, Maya, Blender, Cinema and AutoCAD.

1 hour ago, NovaTronG said:

SketchUp, Maya, Blender, Cinema and AutoCAD.

For sure just go with the 8700k.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

On 20/07/2018 at 8:02 PM, Brooksie359 said:

There is a diffrence between saying I prefer Intel or saying I think Intel is better and saying Intel is the best. The first two statements clearly indicate that it's an opinion and not a fact while the latter implies it's a fact. If you want to state your opinion with no reasoning behind it then that's fine but you should try and convey that it's an opinion. I believe this is the root of why people dont like your comment and not that you have an opinion that differs from them. 

Indeed, i agree but doesn't justify hate speech.