New SSD Windows 10

Br3tt96

So I've got an ssd with the old free windows 10 assistive technologies time-frame install. Through my college I can get a Windows 10 student upgrade for $5. Could I get that and upgrade my current os, grab the product key somehow, and then install a fresh OS with the product key on the new ssd?

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

Do you even know what the difference is between home and student?

Unless you're going to use those special features it comes with there's literally no point, it just bloats up the OS more.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

5 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Do you even know what the difference is between home and student?

Unless you're going to use those special features it comes with there's literally no point, it just bloats up the OS more.

I know the difference, but I wasn't sure if my copy of 10 was like a normal product key. I did get the copy after the free upgrade for 7/8/8.1 time-frame. So you're basically saying I could probably just re-install it on the new ssd and use my current product key? 

Spoiler

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

So, you have win10 already with legal serial and you want to upgrade other os and paid extra for that?

If you have win10 upgraded for free from win7/8 then it's yours forever.

8 minutes ago, Br3tt96 said:

I know the difference, but I wasn't sure if my copy of 10 was like a normal product key. I did get the copy after the free upgrade for 7/8/8.1 time-frame. So you're basically saying I could probably just re-install it on the new ssd and use my current product key? 

Yes it's a valid windows license now, you can just reinstall and it will activate itself.
If you want to be extra safe or if you're changing motherboards then do this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Then just log in with your microsoft account after installing.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

The only thing is bothering me is how old that SSD is? You wrote that you get it from someone with win10 already installed. Personally I don't trust used drives or graphics cars, but if you trust it - use it, clone your system (or made fresh install, as you prefer) and good luck. I hope it will last for some time. :)

11 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

The only thing is bothering me is how old that SSD is? You wrote that you get it from someone with win10 already installed. Personally I don't trust used drives or graphics cars, but if you trust it - use it, clone your system (or made fresh install, as you prefer) and good luck. I hope it will last for some time. :)

I've got the ssd in my signature, and am about to buy an 860 evo 500gb to replace it. Probably throw the 120gb in my laptop for a boot drive since it can have 2 in the laptop. 

Spoiler

Main Rig

Plex Server WIP

Lenovo Legion Laptop

840 EVO has bad reputation. I have one and is still working, but this serie may degrade over time, so check if firmware is up to date.

It's still pretty good SSD if you use it every day with new firmware (moves old files automatically for prevent degradation - it's kind of workaround Samsung made for that serie).

So if now you move from HDD to SSD and then you'll move from SSD to bigger SSD, you may consider cloning instead of fresh install. Follow advices from this post and use Macrium Reflect for creating disk images and restore them to new disk.