is luck real?

aezakmi

Poll title  

35 members have voted

1. 1. does luck exist?

21 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

No, it's not.

That's human decency, an oxymoron if ever there was one.

No, the universe just flatout hates all of us. The only "lucky" ones are those that work for their "luck."

I’m telling my opinion i’m not telling you to believe.

Luck exists, PERIOD. What people are discussing here are semantics and language.

You can misuse the word luck: "Im lucky because I studied for 5 minutes and got a 10" - that is not inherently lucky, you can be smart, the test can be easy, anyway.

Saying "I did ONE question from the 400 available on the book, and that question was on the test, with the same numbers" - then that is a lucky strike. Something unnusual happening, making your life better somehow is kinda the definition of luck,

Getting hit by a stray bullet is unnusual but BAD for you, so it is the opposite of luck: unluck.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

13 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

No, the universe just flatout hates all of us. The only "lucky" ones are those that work for their "luck."

Yes, because "work" is what allowed the vast majority of lottery winners to gain millions of dollars over night. Or allowed someone like you or myself to be born to loving, caring families. Or allowed that stage 4 cancer patient to miraculously survive. 

Free will is an illusion. It does not exist in a scientific context. The notion that anyone can "work" toward anything (meritocracy), then, is also an illusion. You can't expect effort or "hard work" to solve every problem, or anything close to that, for that matter. I would say that the majority of factors that contribute to our "success" or well-being are completely out of the influence of our conscious selves. 

Luck is just chance. That's all it is. We have "bad luck" if an asteroid suddenly hits our planet and kills all of us because none of us (at least according to our current knowledge) can cause that to happen. 

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-6500 / Cryorig H7 / Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H / Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz / EVGA GTX 1070 SC / Fractal Design Define R5 / Adata SP550 240GB / WD Blue 500GB / WD Blue 1TB / EVGA 750GQ 

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

Google Pixel XL 128GB / Jaybird Bluebuds X3 / Logitech MX Master / Sennheiser HD 598 / 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luck

Luck is the experience of notably positive, negative, or improbable events. The naturalistic interpretation is that positive and negative events happen all the time in human lives, both due to random and non-random natural and artificial processes, and that even improbable events can happen by random chance. In this view, being "lucky" or "unlucky" is simply a descriptive label that points out an event's positivity, negativity, or improbability.

As it says, luck is just a way to describe something's positivity, negativity, or improbability. So if something good happens, you could call yourself "lucky" or if something rare occurs like winning the lottery, you could call yourself "lucky". It's just a superficial way to describe an event.