is luck real?

aezakmi

Poll title  

35 members have voted

1. 1. does luck exist?

DVZiAONXkAAVjdv.jpgA lot of people say "that's bad luck" when something bad happens or "good luck" to show support or wish good stuff to someone.

but what is luck? does good/bad luck exist? I think facts and probability are more real

Last month I just had 10 exams and passed all of them with decent scores, and everyone told me how lucky I was, because guess... I didn't study for any of those exams, literally, I just went to some classes and even skipped a few to hang with friends, then I heard some guys studied even for A WEEK and still didn't managed to pass or got 0/10 points (you pass with at least a 5/10) my lowest one was 7.75/10 because I skipped two questions

I'm currently in the 3rd year of aeronautical engineering and a lot already dropped out of it because of the exams being too hard, I've been doing this since high school and it's been working so far lol

I'm not a nerd btw I like to hang out and don't like card or board games

Fo4_Luck.png

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

I have a friend that if he sticks money into a lottery machine, he WILL win a small payout, like 100+. And hell buy more with the winnings (like 10$ worth, not the whole winnings), and win again. This has happened to him multiple times. 

He will do something like ask for a raise that I know is not in the companies budget, doenst match the position, in a job he could be replaced in easily and get it. Anything he does that is irresponsible, equivalent to dousing his life in gasoline and lighting a match just works out for him. 

Im not saying luck exists, I'm saying life is bullshit. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Luck is just a concept that excuses incompetence, either one's own or that of a third party.

You'd say it's bad luck that I'm going to wait more than two weeks for a shotgun that should have gotten to me in one.

I'd say I'm not buying jack shit online from Cabela's again.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

If by luck you mean random events that seem too improbable but in reality are very probably due to cognitive bias then sure,  luck exists.  I know lots of people who have not studied and passed, and a few that have studied and failed and even some who did middle ground.  Hell I even know one person who didn't even attend the exam or hand in the final assessment and still got a distinction.   9/10 it just comes down to what mood the assessor is in as to whether you pass or fail etc.    That's just life, it'll continue to happen in the work place too, you'll forget to hand something in and the boss will call you into the office and either due the fact someone else got the blame or he got a decent blowy that morning,  instead of getting punished you'll get promoted.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

51 minutes ago, mr moose said:

9/10 it just comes down to what mood the assessor is in as to whether you pass or fail

they must be in a twisted mood when it comes to exams, I've seen a dude who wrote 4 pages fail because what he wrote "wasn't requested"

53 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Luck is just a concept that excuses incompetence, either one's own or that of a third party.

agree, wouldn't say that's "bad luck"

have you ever felt like you're surrounded of a bunch of incompetent a**hats? I did, in school, working, university, hell it even looks like some people is doing it on purpose because they don't have anything else to do but ruin others life

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Luck is like a math equation cluttered with variables that we don't know the values of so we just put fancy letters in their place like X or Y. That's one way I've often looked at it.

I don't really think so, it's just a word used to describe something that seems unlikely, happening, maybe multiple times in a row.

maybe something like, you are doing something really important, and nothing unimportant comes up to distract you, but when you're not doing something important you are surrounded by distractions, and this happens every day for two weeks.

† 

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.

Cry havoc and let slip the Togs of war.  (Signature V3)

If you want me to reply, tag me @Tog Driver, Or quote me.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭13:14

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

Luck is just a concept that excuses incompetence,

well i wouldn't say it was incompetence that i survived a car crash that i absolutely should not have. walking away with very minor injuries (few scratches) from a 180km/h (combined) head on (other guys fault) and only spending about 2 hours in hospital is pretty damn lucky

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

22 minutes ago, Arika S said:

well i wouldn't say it was incompetence that i survived a car crash that i absolutely should not have. walking away with very minor injuries (few scratches) from a 180km/h (combined) head on (other guys fault) and only spending about 2 hours in hospital is pretty damn lucky

Wow you fucking suck at dying. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

12 minutes ago, theninja35 said:

What is winning the lottery to you? If it's not luck, then what is it?

Statistics.

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

That's not a luck thing. It's a science, engineering, and mathematics thing. Lots of angles, Newtons, G forces. In short, and in the words of one of my new favorite YouTubers - It's god damn terrifying.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Statistics.

That's not a luck thing. It's a science, engineering, and mathematics thing. Lots of angles, Newtons, G forces. In short, and in the words of one of my new favorite YouTubers - It's god damn terrifying.

Statistics isn't the process of getting there, it's analyzing what already happened. The first lottery winner didn't win because of statistics, they win based on probability and were lucky enough to get the correct numbers (unless they cheated).

Statistics is a branch of mathematics dealing with the collection, organization, analysis, interpretation and presentation of data.

From Wikipedia.

For me, luck is just a random event that is based on our favors....

I just passed my diploma with quite satisfying score, and I didn't really study because I was being pessimistic after looking at my prediction grade (it was close to failing).

But during my final exam, somehow the questions just looked familiar to me, some questions were really hard but out-of-the-blue something just clicked in my head and I could answer the questions during last minutes (like around 5 minutes remaining).

I do believe luck is real, but I do not rely on it. If you want something done right, do it yourself with motivation, not just luck.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

I consider luck to now be “the chance of circumstances to have fallen in your favor.” 

So whenever you’re lucky or on a hot streak, it’s that everything happened to fall in place in such a way that you benefit extensively. 

Not that there’s a ritual or something that occurred. 

Free will doesn't exist.

I never understood why a lot of people who say that luck doesn't exist say that it's because everything happens by chance...that's exactly what luck is...

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-6500 / Cryorig H7 / Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H / Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz / EVGA GTX 1070 SC / Fractal Design Define R5 / Adata SP550 240GB / WD Blue 500GB / WD Blue 1TB / EVGA 750GQ 

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

Google Pixel XL 128GB / Jaybird Bluebuds X3 / Logitech MX Master / Sennheiser HD 598 / 

12 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Statistics.

Luck isn't just some completely superstitious thing that is based on leprechauns and rabbit feet. It's just anything that happens from chance rather that isn't controlled by you. If you were driving on a road just under the speed limit and some boulder fell off the side of a cliff and onto your car, that has absolutely nothing to do with your own incompetence. It has everything to do with chance, and the environment - like you said, stats - that's precisely what luck is. 

In other words, luck isn't the opposite of chance or probability - they are one and the same. 

Really, you are a slave to biochemistry and therefore can't control any of your actions. Everything, really, then, is up to luck. 

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-6500 / Cryorig H7 / Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H / Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz / EVGA GTX 1070 SC / Fractal Design Define R5 / Adata SP550 240GB / WD Blue 500GB / WD Blue 1TB / EVGA 750GQ 

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

Google Pixel XL 128GB / Jaybird Bluebuds X3 / Logitech MX Master / Sennheiser HD 598 / 

I think superstition is shallow and arbitrary, unlike religion it doesn't aim to teach or explain anything and what supposedly brings luck or misfortune seems to be based on nothing other than hear say. There's no point in me believing that an exam, which was written 3 days ago, would suddenly be about things I'm more uncertain about because a random black cat crossed my path this morning.

If you don't mean superstition but, instead, the possibility that some random event will go in your favour, then yes, obviously luck exists. I just don't think it's influenced by specific arbitrary conditions.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Depends on what your definition of "Luck" is.

I would rather call it happenstance.

I believe that i can come across fortune or misfortune in life as a result of the actions of a third party.

I do not believe that i can come across fortune or misfortune in life as a result of being lucky or unlucky.

In my book, If someone wins the lottery 5 times, they aren't inherently "lucky" by superstition or supernatural causes. They just so happened to win something despite inconceivably low odds.

What pisses me off is when someone considers something good or bad luck when it was the result of THEIR OWN actions. Things like getting a job that you applied for, receiving a pay raise. Getting in a car accident while texting and driving.

Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

Luck is not real, but some people are considered luckier than others. Some people make their own luck some people are born into it through no fault of their own. 

Karma is definitely real. If you are nice to people they are nice to you back. Always treat others how you want to be treated and good luck will come to you. 

I am pretty religious and I know some of you not so much, but I believe God has a large role to play in luck. He's always there for me anyway. Believe if you want, it is your choice. 

19 hours ago, aezakmi said:

but what is luck?

No such thing.

What you're referring to are the results of strong kung fu.

Kung fu is not a fighting style, it is an attribute available to anyone in any endeavor.

Kung fu fighting style utilizes this attribute.

A baker or artist or athlete can have strong kung fu.

It requires a focused intent and a strong will.

CPU-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / CPU Cooler-Noctua NH-D15S / Motherboard-MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-WD WDBSLA0040HNC-NRSN 4TB 3.5" 7200 RPM / Storage-WD Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM--Crucial P3 4TB 3.0X4 NVME--Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Corsair MP600 CORE 2TB 4.0X4 NVME / Video Card-XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / PSU-SeaSonic PRIME 1000 W 80+ Gold / Sound Card-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z w/Shield / Monitor-BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560 x 1440 60 Hz / Monitor-Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz / Keyboard-Logitech G Pro / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / UPS-CyberPower GX1325U / Fan Controller-Corsair Commander Pro

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / CPU Cooler-Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX / Motherboard-Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) / MemoryG.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Western Digital Black SN750 SE 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB 3.0X4 NVME--Seagate Barracuda Compute 3 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM / Video Card-Asus KO Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3070 / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / Case-LIAN LI PCI-E 16 X 4.0 Black Riser / PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ Gold / Monitor-LG 22BK430H-B 21.5" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz / Monitor-MSI Optix 271CQP 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Curved / Keyboard-Logitech G413 TKL SE / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD / Fan Controller-Corsair  Commander Pro / Sony HT-S200F Soundbar

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700X / CPU Cooler-Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition / Motherboard-MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--PNY CS900 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB NVME/ Video Card-EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 / Case-Cooler NR200P / PSU-Cooler Master V750 SFX GOLD / Keyboard-HyperX Alloy Origins Core / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower LE1000DG-FC / Fan Controller-NZXT RGB & Fan Controller

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700G / CPU Cooler-Scythe Shuriken 2 / Motherboard-Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI / Memory-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3800 CL18 / Storage-WD Blue 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--Patriot P310 1.92TB 3.0X4 NVME / Case-InWin B1 Mesh / Keyboard-Logitech K380 / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / Monitor-ViewSonic VX1755 17" 1080p Portable IPS Gaming Monitor 144Hz / Speakers-Creative Muvo Go (Black)

11 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Karma is definitely real

No, it's not.

11 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

If you are nice to people they are nice to you back.

That's human decency, an oxymoron if ever there was one.

12 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Always treat others how you want to be treated and good luck will come to you. 

No, the universe just flatout hates all of us. The only "lucky" ones are those that work for their "luck."

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.