Our best effort still SUCKS - Sketchy Heatsinks 3

"Top Gear: Ambitious But Rubbish"

I believe that's what this video set out to prove as it's mentality

Next up.... waterblock?

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

17 hours ago, Xerohumoris said:

Ask Alec Steele to forge you one. It can even look good from Damascus.

This would be some great content.

http://alecsteeleblacksmith.com/about/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWizIdwZdmr43zfxlCktmNw

Aluminium is at least 2.5 time better as a heat conductor. I'm guessing you just want to see LTT struggle to cut steel?

19 hours ago, Streetguru said:

So next up is visiting a metal 3D printing factory and just printing out a heatsink?

Sintered and cast aluminium both have reduced thermal conductivity. Even if this new technique keeps parts dimensionally stable, they'll be brittle and do a poor job transfering heat.

9 hours ago, biohazard918 said:

They already did a bong cooler two years ago.

huh ,, how did i miss that. Go figure.

Thanks for pointing that out.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

10 hours ago, Granular said:

The best heat sink is a huge chunk of metal

.......The best heatsink is an NH-D15, you need heatpipes.

48 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

.......The best heatsink is an NH-D15, you need heatpipes.

Then just build a heatsink out of heatpipes, only.

3 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

Then just build a heatsink out of heatpipes, only.

Heatpipes are really good at transferring heat from a hot spot to a cold spot, but really bad at actually dissipating heat, so that's why you need the aluminum sheets.

1 minute ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

Heatpipes are really good at transferring heat from a hot spot to a cold spot, but really bad at actually dissipating heat, so that's why you need the aluminum sheets.

Stop letting physics break your dreams

Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

On 7/17/2018 at 2:09 PM, AlexTheGreatish said:

Could you tell me where you got the heat pipes and the exact model?

On 7/17/2018 at 9:09 PM, AlexTheGreatish said:

Our last homemade heatsink was... terrible.  But can we get it right this time? 

you guys have a 3d printer but not thought of using a metalic filament to 3d print a heat-sink????

that is just hilarious :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

https://www.matterhackers.com/store/3d-printer-filament/colorfabb-copperfill-metal-filament-1.75mm-075-kg

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

Jesus this guy is an engineer? 

a) Buy some carbide burrs and stop using steel-working tools (angle grinder) on aluminum.  You need to treat aluminum like wood, not like steel.  Burrs would shape aluminum far faster than a hacksaw.

b) There's bits for centering a drill press on a hole.  Or just put a laser pointer in the chuck.

c) Why are you even bothering?  You spent more money and did a poorer job than going out and buying a heatsink.  I could have given you several far more interesting heatsink ideas to try.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

46 minutes ago, August Beck said:

Could you tell me where you got the heat pipes and the exact model?

https://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/advanced-thermal-solutions-inc/ATS-HP-D6L300G30W-006/ATS2146-ND/5049689

10 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Jesus this guy is an engineer? 

a) Buy some carbide burrs and stop using steel-working tools (angle grinder) on aluminum.  You need to treat aluminum like wood, not like steel.  Burrs would shape aluminum far faster than a hacksaw.

b) There's bits for centering a drill press on a hole.  Or just put a laser pointer in the chuck.

c) Why are you even bothering?  You spent more money and did a poorer job than going out and buying a heatsink.  I could have given you several far more interesting heatsink ideas to try.

a) An aluminum cutting disc was used to take out chunks, burrs would have been good to do a final shape but would have taken a lot longer for the initial removal.

b) The holes were center punched so good enough

c) Views I guess? To show that heatsinks are not all that simple to make?

51 minutes ago, darknessblade said:

you guys have a 3d printer but not thought of using a metalic filament to 3d print a heat-sink????

https://www.matterhackers.com/store/3d-printer-filament/colorfabb-copperfill-metal-filament-1.75mm-075-kg

@AlexTheGreatish Can we assume based on

We actually have some not so sketchy plans right now, they just take time to create.

That you might be planning a 3d printed build with really high quality? And if so and if it worked well, that you might sell it on the store with LTT logo/stamp on it?

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

I wonder if LMG would be able to do a collaboration with AvE? He is a Canadian YouTuber who does all sort of tinkering and machining work... 

Maybe sketchy heatsinks part 4 could be the grand finale

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

1 hour ago, darknessblade said:

That garbage you linked is only 1/3 copper by weight. You would have a heatsink that performed only marginally better that plastic :/

33 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

@AlexTheGreatish Can we assume based on

That you might be planning a 3d printed build with really high quality? And if so and if it worked well, that you might sell it on the store with LTT logo/stamp on it?

It's mostly PLA, and 3D printing takes so long and is so expensive/finicky/terrible that I wouldn't want to make more than 5. 

25 minutes ago, Razor Blade said:

I wonder if LMG would be able to do a collaboration with AvE? He is a Canadian YouTuber who does all sort of tinkering and machining work... 

Maybe sketchy heatsinks part 4 could be the grand finale

Big fan of AvE so I'd be down

That was pretty amusing to watch. Much better than last time for sure.

@AlexTheGreatish

ever thought souping up Linus Bong Cooler design... by making it like a Frankenstein's Monster born out of Whole Room water cooling Reservoir and the Zalman V1 Reserators? 

it would basically kill anyone's budget but the comparison would probably be interesting.

but can you make your own Zalman V1 Reserator? basically adding Fins to Metal Pipes. 

or how about literally copying what Intel did at computex... how effective is an Aquarium chiller compared to Linus Phase Freezer coil cooling his water loop?

that said intel probably used a top of the line in-line water chiller.

but a decently sized unit does cost as much as an EK L360 Kit.

Although this episode of sketching heatsink is more successful, the previous episode is so much professionally made in my opinion and much more enjoyable to watch, i honestly enjoy the narrative style ltt video more than recent ones.

11 hours ago, JTrevail said:

That garbage you linked is only 1/3 copper by weight. You would have a heatsink that performed only marginally better that plastic :/

if you say that this is garbage why did you not give a link to better copper/metalic filament???

but yes i do agree that the thermal conductivity of PLA is not that great:  

PLA: 0.075 BTU/h-ft-°F

BRICK: 0.15 BTU/h-ft-°F

Water (direct contact): 0.6 BTU/h-ft-°F

11 hours ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

It's mostly PLA, and 3D printing takes so long and is so expensive/finicky/terrible that I wouldn't want to make more than 5. 

Big fan of AvE so I'd be down

yes im aware that 3d printing takes long.

but if you make a design, turn the printer on during the night have it print the thing you want, then it does not take long, or is it just me. (and yes i do create my own things with a 3d printer)

like: my mini- TRI DIMENSIONAL CHESS board (star-trek) (and its no joke the banana is for scale)

FX6NSQIJ5MQWOGY.LARGE.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

ps: how much infill did you use for that 3d printed heat-sink mold??

since you could also use the 3d printed item as a mold, so printing it with 0% infill, cut of the bottom, then fill the 3d print with aluminium,

like this: (image used chocolate, but the idea is the same)

based on the design you guys used i assume that with worst resolution it would take less than 2 hours to print. (since its a mold high resolution would mean that its harder for the aluminium to melt it)

hqdefault.jpg

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

Hello , back some time ago i also has some thought on home made heatsinks so i also did made one model myself plz give thoughts on it 

Rough desing if like it tell i draw iso view as well

IMG_20180719_150001.jpg

On Wed Jul 18 2018 at 4:06 AM, IntrepidChuck said:

I just drew up a heatsink design I'd like to see LTT try out. It uses a copper wire mesh and aluminum bar to hold it together. The idea is the air would flow through the mesh. Not sure how well it would transfer heat. Perhaps you could remove one of the aluminum bar layers to add a heatpipe.

heatsink concept.png

Cooper wire through  feel like will work great but they dont heat spread not conduct so for sending heat from one point to another need maximum area of contact on both side so thats why meash wire wont be as effective as normal thin plate