school it educations advice?

the school offer me computer repair technician certification's but is this just certification A+  i could just do it at home study as i ready work doing with friends repairing there computers and not pay the school 5000 dollars with i could do cad or some computer langues classes?

Can i just study certification A+ at home and count as computer repair technician and will any difference school credits vs taking the test my self at home test study practices and going to the test room where i can do it and same day certification pass?

CAD or computer langues how many of this do i need school before i can just study it home or pass certifications?

school.PNG

51 minutes ago, patriciadiaz1919 said:

the school offer me computer repair technician certification's but is this just certification A+  i could just do it at home study as i ready work doing with friends repairing there computers and not pay the school 5000 dollars with i could do cad or some computer langues classes?

Can i just study certification A+ at home and count as computer repair technician and will any difference school credits vs taking the test my self at home test study practices and going to the test room where i can do it and same day certification pass?

CAD or computer langues how many of this do i need school before i can just study it home or pass certifications?

school.PNG

Education has been free since the invention of the internet, credential however is not. You can self taught yourself many things but until you pay for a piece of paper that says you are indeed competent at these things, not many will take you seriously.  

At universities, you are paying for an expensive piece of paper, not the education(speaking from personal experience, University doesn't teach shit) and at trade school, you are paying for the certificate, skills are pick up majorly in apprenticeships. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

2 hours ago, wasab said:

Education has been free since the invention of the internet, credential however is not. You can self taught yourself many things but until you pay for a piece of paper that says you are indeed competent at these things, not many will take you seriously.  

At universities, you are paying for an expensive piece of paper, not the education(speaking from personal experience, University doesn't teach shit) and at trade school, you are paying for the certificate, skills are pick up majorly in apprenticeships. 

Saying that universities dont teach shit is a bit of an overstatement .  Universities teach you a lot more than just the field your studying.  In my field there is no way I would trust someone who doesnt have a degree.  I dont care how smart they think they are.  

For general IT I agree that school is not necessary.  There is also a huge difference between a university and a certificate program.

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

i self studied for a+ but it took a while. does that include the cost of the test?

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

18 minutes ago, rmac52 said:

Saying that universities dont teach shit is a bit of an overstatement .  Universities teach you a lot more than just the field your studying.  In my field there is no way I would trust someone who doesnt have a degree.  I dont care how smart they think they are.  

For general IT I agree that school is not necessary.  There is also a huge difference between a university and a certificate program.

Whenever someone hates on schooling, I like to remind them that you wouldn't want a self taught doctor operating on you. Sure schooling is silly for a few fields, but many fields you need it.

doctor and computer it different things as computer it not alive as you need prove official testing to enter the company and trail of companys hires you as doctor are real humans not the same thing?

allot of computer people are self taught and allot of work from school you still need experiences out side school as you only read books in school?

2 hours ago, patriciadiaz1919 said:

allot of computer people are self taught and allot of work from school you still need experiences out side school as you only read books in school?

In a decent school you should do a lot more than just read books.  I got plenty of real world experiance during the course of my university education.  

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

4 hours ago, rmac52 said:

Would you trust bill gates or Steve job? Neither of the two has a degree. 

Mark Zuckerberg majored in psychology btw. More you know 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

13 minutes ago, wasab said:

Mark Zuckerberg majored in psychology btw. More you know 

Depends on what they where doing.

Would I trust Bill Gates to write a program for me; sure.  Would I trust Bill Gates to run a bioreactor; absolutly not.

Also Bill Gates and Steve Jobs are one in a million individuals.  

4 hours ago, EPENEX said:

Whenever someone hates on schooling, I like to remind them that you wouldn't want a self taught doctor operating on you. Sure schooling is silly for a few fields, but many fields you need it.

This is a bad counter argument I shouldn't make but my mom knows more than all the doctors by just paying attention and googling things. 
Now she's certified & studied the crap out of her thing so I can't say she doesn't have qualifications but she's better than many bachelor degree med students. 

However yes, the degree is most worth it. If I had a business, it's the only way to really tell they did the work themselves. You CAN study for the A+ yourself, but I found teachers are really good guides and help when you really can't figure out wtf something is or means. If you're going for IT, I think A+ is the main "I'm a computer technician" paper out there. Programming is more for software development if I'm not mistaken. It's not a bad thing but knowing how a for loop works doesn't help you get windows to recognize the projector for the presentation they need to do in 10 minutes. (I don't know much about IT. They kinda fix computers and fix the wifi from what I know. Also other more technical stuff I don't understand.) 

@wasab

As a hiring manager I cant assume that an applicant is the next Bill Gates.  I need some kind of proof that they know what they are doing.

A diploma from a good school proves that to me.  It's their reputation on the line of the applicant is incompetent.

23 minutes ago, wasab said:

Um... Bill Gates finished his degree "With an honorary doctorate."

In 2007, more than thirty years after he left Harvard, the co-founder of Microsoft would finally receive his degree (an honorary doctorate) from his alma mater.

http://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1988080_1988093_1988082,00.html

30 years difference owned. Also 11 year old news. :P 

EDIT:
He also founded his own company & wasn't hired. 

3 minutes ago, fpo said:

This is a bad counter argument I shouldn't make but my mom knows more than all the doctors by just paying attention and googling things. 
Now she's certified & studied the crap out of her thing so I can't say she doesn't have qualifications but she's better than many bachelor degree med students. 

However yes, the degree is most worth it. If I had a business, it's the only way to really tell they did the work themselves. You CAN study for the A+ yourself, but I found teachers are really good guides and help when you really can't figure out wtf something is or means. If you're going for IT, I think A+ is the main "I'm a computer technician" paper out there. Programming is more for software development if I'm not mistaken. It's not a bad thing but knowing how a for loop works doesn't help you get windows to recognize the projector for the presentation they need to do in 10 minutes. (I don't know much about IT. They kinda fix computers and fix the wifi from what I know. Also other more technical stuff I don't understand.) 

You're right that is a bad counter argument.  Your mother might know more than the average doctor about a few topics.  She does not know more than a doctor about all the things doctors know.

I know vastly more about certin things than the average doctor.  But doctors can Google things too.  They are not supposed to know every posible thing about every disease.  That's not practical.  They know how to find the information they need.  

1 minute ago, rmac52 said:

You're right that is a bad counter argument.  Your mother might know more than the average doctor about a few topics.  She does not know more than a doctor about all the things doctors know.

I know vastly more about certin things than the average doctor.  But doctors can Google things too.  They are not supposed to know every posible thing about every disease.  That's not practical.  They know how to find the information they need.  

I meant it wasn’t a good idea to share it. She can basically recognize anything and tell you what medicine you should have. She’s like the Erin Brokovitch of medicine haha. We took my Grandma to the hospital and the doctor or nurse meant to put the IV in failed like 4 times meanwhile my mom held the blood vessel in place to help him get it right as the guy didn’t understand why he couldn’t get the stick. 

I can spend all day explaining, I’m just saying that, you can have a degree and be worse than someone that has it, but no one will hire you without the degree as proof you can do what you say you can. 

That or I’m way too tired to figure out what I said & I’m about to get a beer anyway so I’m out of this conversation.

OP, get a degree! I dropped out of college and I’m basically fked in terms of getting a corporate job. Now I have to finish and all I did was waste time. I CAN start my own company, but with what money & what notoriety? 

3 hours ago, patriciadiaz1919 said:

If the university or community IT teachers are any good, you should get hands on with equipment and coding.

It usually not the latest stuff (at least the one I was at), but actually having to setup routers, switches, vlans, and then have a server setup to service clients definitely helps put what you read into practice.

3 minutes ago, fpo said:

Programming is more for software development if I'm not mistaken. It's not a bad thing but knowing how a for loop works doesn't help you get windows to recognize the projector for the presentation they need to do in 10 minutes. (I don't know much about IT. They kinda fix computers and fix the wifi from what I know. Also other more technical stuff I don't understand.) 

In the higher areas of sys admin and net admin, knowing how to script saves a whole lot of time and effort (powershell and batch can be darn powerful if you know how to leverage those).

A+ is basically viewed as bottom barrel cert (at least the IT jobs I am around).  At most, you get shoved onto tier 1 help desk and have to deal with the low level issues.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

37 minutes ago, rmac52 said:

@wasab

As a hiring manager I cant assume that an applicant is the next Bill Gates.  I need some kind of proof that they know what they are doing.

A diploma from a good school proves that to me.  It's their reputation on the line of the applicant is incompetent.

their worth is more than a piece of paper. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

41 minutes ago, rmac52 said:

last time i check the world's very first doctor did not learn medicine by attending school.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

44 minutes ago, rmac52 said:

@wasab

Do you check every applicants diploma? If so do you crosscheck it with the schools records? If not then why bother? There are fakes out there, and some damn good ones...

Besides having a diploma from a good school doesn't make you good, it just means you know how to follow a specific set of instructions to get a piece of paper.

5 hours ago, EPENEX said:

If I had a choice from a doctor fresh from a school with virtually no experience vs someone who apprenticed/studied in a hospital for the same amount of time watching and/or participating in operations during said time. I would trust the one who never went to school thanks.

Just because they know a book says don't insert eggbeater in brain doesn't mean they won't on the table...