Need help on deciding which laptop to get

Go to solution Solved by DrMacintosh,

I would not get the V330. The Intel HD 620 is next to useless. I'd take the hit of only having 1 SATA slot for having an objectively better computer. 

If you can't afford a large enough capacity SSD, you can always carry an external USB HDD with you. 

Hello!

I've been searching for the last few months for a new laptop. I've narrowed it down to 2 laptops from Lenovo. I did look at options from Dell, HP, etc. but they didn't have what I was looking for vs. the prices. I'm looking for some advice on what to do.

The 2 laptops I'm stuck on is the Lenovo Ideapad 330(15) or the Lenovo V330 (15).

They both have 15.6 inch 1080p screens, 4 core 8 thread processors of similar performance, 8GB RAM, 1TB 5400RPM HDDs.

The Ideapad 330 has a Ryzen 2500U with integrated Vega 8 GPU but only has one SATA drive slot.

The Lenovo V330 has an Intel i5-8250U with Intel HD 620 graphics but it has a SATA drive slot as well as an M.2 slot.

I'm leaning more towards the AMD model since it has better on board graphics but it's only got the once drive slot. Either way I'm replacing the hard drive with an SSD but I was thinking with the Intel model, I could boot from an M.2 SSD and use the HDD for storage.

My price range is around $500. For the interested, this is what I want on my laptop. At least a quad core, 4GB+ RAM, on board graphics that will be enough for day to day tasks and light video editing and a 1080P screen. I mainly use my laptop for working in Google Earth and some video editing, watching Youtube, etc.

Funny enough my old Dell Studio 1737 does these tasks without issue but the hinges are destroyed and the iGPU isn't up to the task of acceleration in today's programs.

I would not get the V330. The Intel HD 620 is next to useless. I'd take the hit of only having 1 SATA slot for having an objectively better computer. 

If you can't afford a large enough capacity SSD, you can always carry an external USB HDD with you. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

That was my thinking. I've got a 240GB SSD on my desktop and I think that a similar capacity drive would work just fine. Thanks!

Both models are mediocre. Don't just look at specs

I suggest you to increase your budget to around $600. If cannot, go used

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

8 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

Both models are mediocre. Don't just look at specs

I suggest you to increase your budget to around $600. If cannot, go used

What would you recommend for around $600?

11 hours ago, Jared_1 said:

What would you recommend for around $600?

Aspire 5

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128