Thermaltake PSU Good?

Hi, I was wondering if Thermaltake PSU's are good? I've read some reviews on the internet and I'm getting mixed answers - some say they're good and others, bad. This is my first time building a PC and I do have somewhat of a big budget for a first time builder. I was considering buying the Thermaltake Toughpower DPS G RGB 850W Digital 80+ Fully Modular PSU. If this PSU is not recommended for my build, please also leave a suggestion. Thanks!

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700K 8th Gen

GPU: EVGA 1080 Superclocked SC

Motherboard: MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 16GB (8x2) 3600Mhz

Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 4TB Pro SATA HDD 7200RPM

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SATA SSD

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 Hydro Series

12 minutes ago, Hypernox said:

Hi, I was wondering if Thermaltake PSU's are good?

Are GeForce cards fast? 

Toughpower DPS G RGB 850W is good, but I don't know why you want to buy it for a computer that consumes 320W under load. Power supplies like Corsair RM550x, Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 550W, Bitfenix Whisper M 550W would be good. 

32 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

Are GeForce cards fast? 

Toughpower DPS G RGB 850W is good, but I don't know why you want to buy it for a computer that consumes 320W under load. Power supplies like Corsair RM550x, Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 550W, Bitfenix Whisper M 550W would be good. 

Were you using a power supply calculator? If so, they are inaccurate. An EVGA supernova 550 - 650, or a CX550 - CX650.

The system wont use that much power under load, but it gives you headroom to overclock and add another GPU.

hi.

I calculated my wattage on a seasonic wattage calculator. It says that my load wattage is 460 watts. I'd probably go with a 650 or 750W from EVGA.

2 minutes ago, Hypernox said:

I calculated my wattage on a seasonic wattage calculator. It says that my load wattage is 460 watts. I'd probably go with a 650 or 750W from EVGA.

If it says the load wattage will be 460W, but actual testing with an X79 platform puts it at under 300W. The "PSU calculators" are crap and overestimate by a ton. 

Getting a 650W or 750W PSU would be pointless, unless you have money and want a louder fan. EVGA in particular likes selling noisy PSUs. 

If you want a quiet PSU with plenty of wattage for overclocking the system, get a Straight Power 11, Whisper M or RMx, in the 450W version, 550W for the RMx. 

:)

19 hours ago, Hypernox said:

Hi, I was wondering if Thermaltake PSU's are good? I've read some reviews on the internet and I'm getting mixed answers - some say they're good and others, bad. This is my first time building a PC and I do have somewhat of a big budget for a first time builder. I was considering buying the Thermaltake Toughpower DPS G RGB 850W Digital 80+ Fully Modular PSU. If this PSU is not recommended for my build, please also leave a suggestion. Thanks!

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700K 8th Gen

GPU: EVGA 1080 Superclocked SC

Motherboard: MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 16GB (8x2) 3600Mhz

Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 4TB Pro SATA HDD 7200RPM

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SATA SSD

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 Hydro Series

That PSU isn't that great nor does it make sense to buy an 850W unit for your system.

I don't know what case you chose, but most negate the RGB effect of PSUs if you get a unit with such capabilities, so it doesn't make sense to go for an RGB unit unless your case supports it, and 99% of cases these days have PSU shrouds.

Currently the EVGA 550G3 can be purchased for under 50 dollars if you count MIRs, so get that.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

• 1 year later...

I been using a Thermaltake PSU for awhile now a 500W non modular smart series! This PSU is quite and has lasted a good while now, I know it's a Cheap PSU but it wasn't light weight when I unboxed it, like some really cheap PSU's I have felt and the casings on the wire seemed enough for the power usage and draw of the PSU and good quality, it looks decently made and if someone was on a super tight budget or just rebuilding an old PC like I was, it could work in a pinch! I'll keep you guys updated as to how long this thing actually last! Right now it rocks a HP Memphis 2 uATX motherboard with an i5 4690, 16 GB HP Hynix DDR3 1600, GTX 1070 and I added a 240 GB PNY SSD to the 1TB WD Blue! I put all this in a cheap yet decent glass case called a Matrixx 30 from Deepcool it's really cheap but even so worlds above that extremely cheap HP case and it fits a 3 fan GPU if you bend the SSD tray thing down out of the way! LOL The whole build is an HP 550-153W I bought for 50 bucks then gutted and I bought upgrade parts for on ebay ( CPU and 1 8-GB HP hynix Dimm to match) and the GPU as well I got that on an Auction I won. I added three Noctua fans to it as the case really needs airflow, 2 in front one in back! And not it's only designed for one but if your willing to run them with three screws you can mount two up front in it by putting one screw in and turning one fan out of the way to install the top screw for the outside fan, that wasn't easy!! LMAO  It's nothing great and most of these guys would probably laugh at it, but it's well wired, looks decent and does game! Thus proving that even a poor pizza delivery guy can build something that games from watching LTT build guide video's!! :)