Install drivers via usb on clean windows 7 install

Go to solution Solved by homeap5,

The best method is to remove hdd/ssd from your laptop, put into any desktop and install win7. Then, after installation, download usb drivers and unpack them into desktop. Then put your hard drive back to laptop. This only helps with installation, but you still may have problems with usb drivers. So after first boot on laptop wait for auto install new devices. Since it's laptop, keyboard and touchpad should works after that and you can install usb drivers then.

You may also clone any of your friends win7 if version is the same as your license code, then boot, wait for drivers install etc. Then just change license code (serial).

My laptop had windows 10 which made it work slow due to a slow processor. I had previously installed windowd 7 with little complications. This time around i did the same but now my usb ports, sd card port, lan port and wifi wont work. It doesnt have a cd/dvd drive and the only way to reinstall windows 7 is by downloading a usb 3.0 driver to actually get into the installation screen. Unfortunately, it does not read any usb so i cannot browse for the drivers. I am at a lost on what to do next. Any help would be greatly appreciated

If you disable secure boot in the BIOS, you should be able to just choose to boot from USB. Windows shouldn't affect that part.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

I need a way to get the usb 3.0 driver to install so it can continue the installation. With no means of copy and pasting files into the drive its basically useless

A fresh install of Windows should have all the files you need.

hi.

What make/model of the laptop?

I've had similar issues where Windows didn't properly have drivers for my previous laptop's built-in Renesas USB 3.0 controller and would not work with it without some messing about.

What part specifically are you stuck on? Did the installation succeed and you're at the Windows desktop? Or is the installation failing? (if it's a similar problem to mine, it would be repeatedly asking you to browse for the installation files)

Desktop: HP Z220 Workstation, 12 GB RAM, 2x500 GB HDD RAID0, + GTX 1060 3GB

Laptop: ThinkPad T430, 8 GB RAM, 1x120 GB SSD

The best method is to remove hdd/ssd from your laptop, put into any desktop and install win7. Then, after installation, download usb drivers and unpack them into desktop. Then put your hard drive back to laptop. This only helps with installation, but you still may have problems with usb drivers. So after first boot on laptop wait for auto install new devices. Since it's laptop, keyboard and touchpad should works after that and you can install usb drivers then.

You may also clone any of your friends win7 if version is the same as your license code, then boot, wait for drivers install etc. Then just change license code (serial).

On 7/13/2018 at 11:15 PM, TakataruMC said:

What make/model of the laptop?

I've had similar issues where Windows didn't properly have drivers for my previous laptop's built-in Renesas USB 3.0 controller and would not work with it without some messing about.

What part specifically are you stuck on? Did the installation succeed and you're at the Windows desktop? Or is the installation failing? (if it's a similar problem to mine, it would be repeatedly asking you to browse for the installation files)

It would repeatedly ask for browse for the installation files. Even so, after had been located, none of the usb ports would work. Along with sd card reader, ethernet, wifi or any means of dumpimg data in the laptop. The only solution i was able to get was to remove the hard drive, reconnect it to another laptop and use as external hdd the transfer the downloaded drivers into the extrrnal hard drive.