Can a Secondary mini PC be utilized using teamviewer to access my home NAS over the internet?

So I have a unraid NAS (https://pcpartpicker.com/user/-dudeomfgstufx-/saved/RHRZxr) that I want to be able to access over the internet from anywhere. I don't trust my security to open the ports on my router, because other people us the same internet router at home. I want to use a this mini pc(https://www.ebay.com/itm/ECS-Liva-Mini-PC-Celeron-N2807-2GB-64GB-x64-Why-Intel-Compute-Stick-Unbuntu/123228028182?hash=item1cb0f67d16:g:p0EAAOSwRhNbK-Sp) and download teamviewer on it. That the only thing that will be on it and that's the main reason to have it. 

My plan is to be able to log into the Mini PC using Teamviewer from work so I can access the files from the home network server. 

I know can also do a VM on the NAS (I have a spare 4790K) but then would that require me to open the ports on my router to access the VM?

thank you 

Well teamviewer goes through your router and firewall so it uses a port, 5938 to be exact.

You can use Teamviewer to get access to your local network, but if your work allows it you might want to go the VPN route, or SFTP if you only need fiels.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

4 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

-snip-

@samcool55 

1) So my method will work?

2) I "trust" Teamvier's encryption.

3) But how will SFTP work? 

3 hours ago, iPolymer said:

@samcool55 

1) So my method will work?

2) I "trust" Teamvier's encryption.

3) But how will SFTP work? 

Yes it will work.

Don't know what encryption teamviewer uses and how good it is, but it should be decent enough.

SFTP needs a server and a client, the server would run on your server at home and the client wherever you want. You just point the client to the server, authenticate and after that a connection will be established that allows encrypted file transfer. It's not as easy as teamviewer but it has less overhead and gives you more control over the whole system.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

A VPN server is more practical, also shouldn't lag much if at all, whereas Teamviewer IMO lags like hell. OpenVPN server can run on a lot of things, then on your system you want to access "home", you install the OpenVPN client and copy in 3-4 files that you are told about when setting up the OpenVPN server... some routers have the capability to run OpenVPN server too, mine does and works excellently. I access it from my phone most often, but have it set up on almost all my devices that leave the house.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

10 hours ago, iPolymer said:

So I have a unraid NAS (https://pcpartpicker.com/user/-dudeomfgstufx-/saved/RHRZxr) that I want to be able to access over the internet from anywhere. I don't trust my security to open the ports on my router, because other people us the same internet router at home. I want to use a this mini pc(https://www.ebay.com/itm/ECS-Liva-Mini-PC-Celeron-N2807-2GB-64GB-x64-Why-Intel-Compute-Stick-Unbuntu/123228028182?hash=item1cb0f67d16:g:p0EAAOSwRhNbK-Sp) and download teamviewer on it. That the only thing that will be on it and that's the main reason to have it. 

My plan is to be able to log into the Mini PC using Teamviewer from work so I can access the files from the home network server. 

I know can also do a VM on the NAS (I have a spare 4790K) but then would that require me to open the ports on my router to access the VM?

thank you 

All of this is a pretty ghetto way of doing things TBH.

Why would you need or even want a VM to do a network connection? You have a security / access problem, you don't need to throw computers and programs at it hoping it gets better you need to fix your firewall so you can just use ssh.

"Only proprietary software vendors want proprietary software." - Dexter's Law

21 hours ago, samcool55 said:

Yes it will work.

Don't know what encryption teamviewer uses and how good it is, but it should be decent enough.

SFTP needs a server and a client, the server would run on your server at home and the client wherever you want. You just point the client to the server, authenticate and after that a connection will be established that allows encrypted file transfer. It's not as easy as teamviewer but it has less overhead and gives you more control over the whole system.

Is there a built in feature for windows 10 and unraid? I see the option for TFTP client for windows 10, would that be any better?  

20 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

A VPN server is more practical, also shouldn't lag much if at all, whereas Teamviewer IMO lags like hell. OpenVPN server can run on a lot of things, then on your system you want to access "home", you install the OpenVPN client and copy in 3-4 files that you are told about when setting up the OpenVPN server... some routers have the capability to run OpenVPN server too, mine does and works excellently. I access it from my phone most often, but have it set up on almost all my devices that leave the house.

OpenVPN has a lot of options for the unraid server, which one should I use? And will it be fine with my Pentium G3258? 

image.png.11568f038724cd6fb2b8e463d8d3936d.png

No no no..

SFTP isn't FTP. it's SSH.

TFTP is something different too. (It's used sometimes for PXE boot and router patching)

You want to use SSH. For Windows there are a few client programs to use. WinSCP is a good one. MobaX Terminal I think it's called is another. Putty is also a standard and includes tools to create ssh keys and has a authentication daemon so you only decrypt your key once.

Setup a private key on your client system and push your public key to the server. Set the server to not use a password but require a key and you can put it on the internet no problem.

15 hours ago, jde3 said:

All of this is a pretty ghetto way of doing things TBH.

Why would you need or even want a VM to do a network connection? You have a security / access problem, you don't need to throw computers and programs at it hoping it gets better you need to fix your firewall so you can just use ssh.

How can i fix my firewall then? Is the windows 1- SSH good enough? 

Your security depends on the server more than the client.. the threat vector is someone accessing your server, getting your password via brute forcing it, or exploiting some bad settings or vulnerability. SSH is quite secure but it like anything else has to be used properly to work well.

Microsoft added both ssh and sshd (the server).. but I've never used them. (I don't use windows often and when I do I just use putty)

We should write a full guide on SSH.. this question comes up a lot here and there is some misunderstanding about it.. It's basically the swiss army knife of networking and remote management.

3 minutes ago, jde3 said:

No no no..

SFTP isn't FTP. it's SSH.

TFTP is something different too. (It's used sometimes for PXE boot and router patching)

You want to use SSH. For Windows there are a few client programs to use. WinSCP is a good one. MobaX Terminal I think it's called is another. Putty is also a standard and includes tools to create ssh keys and has a authentication daemon so you only decrypt your key once.

Setup a private key on your client system and push your public key to the server. Set the server to not use a password but require a key and you can put it on the internet no problem.

First thanks for the quick response, even though it took me a day respond. 

So setting up the SSH I found this online: https://www.howtogeek.com/336775/how-to-enable-and-use-windows-10s-built-in-ssh-commands/

Or should I do like what @samcool55 said:

21 hours ago, samcool55 said:

[...]SFTP needs a server and a client, the server would run on your server at home and the client wherever you want. You just point the client to the server, authenticate and after that a connection will be established that allows encrypted file transfer....

Sorry getting kinda confused. Don't want it to be to be "ghetto"

1 hour ago, iPolymer said:

First thanks for the quick response, even though it took me a day respond. 

So setting up the SSH I found this online: https://www.howtogeek.com/336775/how-to-enable-and-use-windows-10s-built-in-ssh-commands/

Or should I do like what @samcool55 said:

Sorry getting kinda confused. Don't want it to be to be "ghetto"

The Microsoft tech guide looks fine.

Check these programs out you don't need them but you may find them useful on Windows:

Putty - Mainly used for the agent and key generation.

WinSCP - Commander style "FTP" like program for SSH.

MobaXTerm - Includes a lot of things (this is actually a full Cygwin environment. It gives you bash, unix userland tools and of course ssh it also has an agent if you don't want putty)

Ok so.. ssh is an encrypted replacement for rsh and rcp. It can do a lot of things such as network tunnels and file transfers.

SFTP - is SSH. (It's a sub program of SSH like SCP. This should have been called FISH "file over ssh" but..)

FTPS - is SSL wrapped FTP (like HTTPS is SSL wrapped HTTP)

TFTP - is Trivial FTP. No security at all.. it's for dumb devices on your lan basically.

Confused yet?

Some advanced things it can do?

You can send X11 graphic applications over it.

You can use rsync and zfs send and receive over it.

Tunnels.. it can open network sockets to other systems, or other systems via other systems, or reverse tunnels to punch out of restrictive firewalls.