How to force 1440x900 resolution on Windows XP?

Nathan cole

Hey everyone

I have this toshiba p20 with Windows XP pro installed, the display has not got the native resolution option for 1440x900 and I use 1024x768 but Iooks terrible.

Has anyone got any ideas how to force a resolution or any tool, I have used the Regedit thing but that doesnt work, has anyone got any ideas?

also I have tried to change the resolution in the set but there is no option for 1440x900

3 minutes ago, Nathan cole said:

Hey everyone

I have this toshiba p20 with Windows XP pro installed, the display has not got the native resolution option for 1440x900 and I use 1024x768 but Iooks terrible.

Has anyone got any ideas how to force a resolution or any tool, I have used the Regedit thing but that doesnt work, has anyone got any ideas?

And... did you install the graphics driver? Does Toshiba perhaps have a specific driver for the display itself? If not, does it say Generic PnP monitor in device manager or Generic NON PnP monitor? If the latter, update the monitor driver and force the Generic PnP monitor driver over it and reboot.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

It likely doesn't show up because the machine is missing graphics drivers. Install those first.

Snappy driver installer might be of some help as well. https://sdi-tool.org/download/

1 hour ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

It likely doesn't show up because the machine is missing graphics drivers. Install those first.

Snappy driver installer might be of some help as well. https://sdi-tool.org/download/

Holy balls, 15.5GB of drivers. I hope that software has an updater because downloading 15 gigs every few months would be rather insane, lol.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

5 hours ago, NelizMastr said:

Holy balls, 15.5GB of drivers. I hope that software has an updater because downloading 15 gigs every few months would be rather insane, lol.

That's the offline pack. If the machine is networked, then the program will fetch what it needs instead of needing the whole driver pack

2 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

That's the offline pack. If the machine is networked, then the program will fetch what it needs instead of needing the whole driver pack

Ah, pretty nice. Good to know :) 

8 hours ago, NelizMastr said:

And... did you install the graphics driver? Does Toshiba perhaps have a specific driver for the display itself? If not, does it say Generic PnP monitor in device manager or Generic NON PnP monitor? If the latter, update the monitor driver and force the Generic PnP monitor driver over it and reboot.

no, Toshiba  doesn't have any drivers for the display, and nvidia doesnt have any to as it has nvidia fx graphics.

Also it doesn't have any pnp or display, or anything else like that in device manager, all it says is "video controller (VGA compatible)"

9 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

unfortunately snappy driver detects that the driver is missing, but cant find any drivers for the graphics.....

4 minutes ago, Nathan cole said:

no, Toshiba  doesn't have any drivers for the display, and nvidia doesnt have any to as it has nvidia fx graphics.

Also it doesn't have any pnp or display, or anything else like that in device manager, all it says is "video controller (VGA compatible)"

You should be able to find it here: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx

If you don't know the exact gpu you have, check windows dxdiag (if that comes up as generic vga, you may need to try gpuz or bios).

14 hours ago, Nathan cole said:

Ah Nvidia FX Go series. Yeah, for those chips Toshiba needs to supply drivers.

14 hours ago, Nathan cole said:

unfortunately snappy driver detects that the driver is missing, but cant find any drivers for the graphics.....

I did some digging and the closest I could find for a 5200 Go driver was on a sketchy driver website that had a driver for a presumably similar Lenovo laptop: http://www.driverscape.com/files/notebook/Lenovo_E600_Vga_XP_V1.exe. IDK, give it a shot, it may or may not work.

here are the rest of the drivers too in case you're interested: http://www.driverscape.com/manufacturers/toshiba/laptops-desktops/satellite-p20/2056.

Spoiler

My main desktop, "Rufus":

Spoiler

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 120

RAM: 2x8gb Corsair Vengence DDR4 Red LED @ 3066mt/s

Motherboard: MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon

GPU: XFX RX 580 GTR XXX White 

Storage: Mushkin ECO3 256GB SATA3 SSD + Some hitachi thing

PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650W

Case: Corsair Crystal 460X

Retro machine:

Spoiler

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550

CPU Cooler: Stock heatsink

RAM: GSkill 4gb DDR2 1066mt/s

Motherboard: Asus P5n-e SLI

GPU: 8800 GTS 640mb, I swap between that and my 8800 GTS 512mb

Storage: Seagate 320gb right from 2006

PSU: Ultra 600W 

Case: Deepcool Tesseract SW

OS: Windows XP SP3 32-bit, Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon 64-bit, Manjaro Deepin x64 (sorta)

Mac Pro Early 2008: Dual Xeon X5482s w/ 32GB RAM & HD 5770 running macOS High Sierra

More PC's

11 minutes ago, panther420 said:

I did some digging and the closest I could find for a 5200 Go driver was on a sketchy driver website that had a driver for a presumably similar Lenovo laptop: http://www.driverscape.com/files/notebook/Lenovo_E600_Vga_XP_V1.exe. IDK, give it a shot, it may or may not work.

here are the rest of the drivers too in case you're interested: http://www.driverscape.com/manufacturers/toshiba/laptops-desktops/satellite-p20/2056.

Driverscape's actually pretty good. Just don't download the crappy driver update tool

Uncheck "hide resolutions not supported on this monitor" option.

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64