Power supply replacement

I am using a Rosewill photon or something in my system, an 80+ bronze non modular thing I got from a friend a while ago. My brother uses some 80+ bronze rosewill thing a friend of mine donated after I cheaped out and got a $20 apevia unit from amazon (learned the hard way not to skimp on a PSU.) We've been using these units for a while and I was wondering what kind of upgrades would be ideal, since power supplies don't last forever. I really like the idea of the EVGA supernova G3 650W. The modular cables will make my messy case a lot easier. My brother uses an i5 and a gtx 970, so what should he consider? He isn't a hardcore gamer, so an i5 and a mid end GPU is his future in gaming. I am getting an 8086k, so I know 650W is where I should be at.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

650W G3 is a pretty good unit.

Personally, I wouldn't get the 8086K. It's basically a higher clocked 8700K.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

650W G3 is a pretty good unit.

Personally, I wouldn't get the 8086K. It's basically a higher clocked 8700K.

i won the giveaway so I decided to go with it.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

650W is more than you need, just by-the-way. An 8086K at 5 GHz will use about 200W. A GTX 970 uses a bit less than that with OC. My 1700X and GTX 970, both OC'd, use about 335W from the PSU and 370W from the wall.

An EVGA G3 is alright, but has some issues with protections. For your system I don't think it'll be a worry. The 550W version of the unit will be more than enough for your needs.

If you want to look at other units, the Seasonic Focus Plus Gold, Corsair TX550M, Bitfenix Whisper/Formula Gold, and EVGA G2 would be good and cheaper.

EDIT: just found a great price for a Bitfenix Whisper. Would recommend.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/CZvZxr/bitfenix-whisper-m-550w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-bp-wg550umag-7fm

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

3 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Congratulations on your win! ??? The Supernova 650W is a great choice, as well as the CX650M.

hi.

3 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

650W is more than you need, just by-the-way. An 8086K at 5 GHz will use about 200W. A GTX 970 uses a bit less than that with OC. My 1700X and GTX 970, both OC'd, use about 335W from the PSU and 370W from the wall.

An EVGA G3 is alright, but has some issues with protections. For your system I don't think it'll be a worry. The 550W version of the unit will be more than enough for your needs.

If you want to look at other units, the Seasonic Focus Plus Gold, Corsair TX550M, Bitfenix Whisper/Formula Gold, and EVGA G2 would be good and cheaper.

EDIT: just found a great price for a Bitfenix Whisper. Would recommend.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/CZvZxr/bitfenix-whisper-m-550w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-bp-wg550umag-7fm

The G3 was actually the cheapest 80+ gold, fully modular unit at the time of selection. I can probably sell my current one quick for $30, and I hope I can catch one of your recommendations on sale.

Primary PC:

4 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Oh, congrats! I had thought you were planning on buying it.

GG

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Oh, congrats! I had thought you were planning on buying it.

GG

I've been running my 4790k at 4.7 with ~1.2V, so I wanted to make sure the new CPU wasn't too much for the old PSU to handle. A somewhat recent problem is that my computer turns itself on and comes out of sleep by itself, unless I turn off my computer and power cycle my PSU. That's when I figured it was time for an upgrade.

Primary PC:

1 hour ago, fasauceome said:

The G3 was actually the cheapest 80+ gold, fully modular unit at the time of selection. I can probably sell my current one quick for $30, and I hope I can catch one of your recommendations on sale.

Oh naw, keep the G3 if you already have it

What exactly was the point of your question then?

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

28 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Oh naw, keep the G3 if you already have it

What exactly was the point of your question then?

didn't buy it yet it's just on my pcpartpicker list. also my bro's pc for when he eventually needs one.

Primary PC:

31 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

didn't buy it yet it's just on my pcpartpicker list. also my bro's pc for when he eventually needs one.

OK, so for your brother's GTX 970 system, a Cooler Master MasterWatt or Corsair CX/CXM would be fine. 450W is plenty for that system. If you aren't that tight on the budget, then get two of the Bitfenix Whisper 550W units I linked above, one for you and one for him ;)

I use the G3 and no complaints so far, but there are some folks that wouldn't recommend them. 

And you didn't wanna take AMD up on their offer to trade your won 8086K for a 1950X? 

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

3 minutes ago, nick name said:

I use the G3 and no complaints so far, but there are some folks that wouldn't recommend them. 

And you didn't wanna take AMD up on their offer to trade your won 8086K for a 1950X? 

i like gaming so nah. not a content creator either

Primary PC:

8 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

i like gaming so nah. not a content creator either

I can understand that. I would have taken the trade and then sold it and bought the CPU AND motherboard that better suited my needs.

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

12 minutes ago, nick name said:

I can understand that. I would have taken the trade and then sold it and bought the CPU AND motherboard that better suited my needs.

Someone suggested that, but since the cpu arrives mid october, I don't want to wait any longer.

Primary PC:

3 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Someone suggested that, but since the cpu arrives mid october, I don't want to wait any longer.

Jesus that would kill me.