GTX 1060 6gb performing like a GTX 650

MrCheesecake

This didn't happen to me, but I was looking through messages in a Discord server and somebody said their friend's brand new GTX 1060, that they bought in person from a store, is performing similarly to a GTX 650. I asked him if maybe it was an older card with a GTX 1060s BIOS to make it appear as one in windows, but no, it's a legit 1060, but it's performing horribly. Any help would be great and I'll dm him with any questions you guys have since I know it'll most likely take a lot more information to figure this out. 

11 minutes ago, J-Z said:

What CPU does he have?

i5-2500k

I hope he's got his video cables plugged in correctly and his drivers downloaded.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

If he bought it from a computer store the chances of it being one of the eBay knock offs is so, so low.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 hour ago, fasauceome said:

I hope he's got his video cables plugged in correctly and his drivers downloaded.

He does, and he has the latest drivers

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

If he bought it from a computer store the chances of it being one of the eBay knock offs is so, so low.

Yeah, that's why I ruled it out, and it was also brand new so it's pretty much impossible for that to be it

2 minutes ago, MrCheesecake said:

Yeah, that's why I ruled it out, and it was also brand new so it's pretty much impossible for that to be it

has he tried overclocking the card? there might be something wrong with the frequencies and possibly tweaking the voltage or something by a tiny bit will set it right. not a 100MHz OC or anything, something tiny to make sure it's actually operating properly.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

20 minutes ago, MrCheesecake said:

This didn't happen to me, but I was looking through messages in a Discord server and somebody said their friend's brand new GTX 1060, that they bought in person from a store, is performing similarly to a GTX 650. I asked him if maybe it was an older card with a GTX 1060s BIOS to make it appear as one in windows, but no, it's a legit 1060, but it's performing horribly. Any help would be great and I'll dm him with any questions you guys have since I know it'll most likely take a lot more information to figure this out. 

Just saying, disassemble any thing on ur gpu , check out if the core name is started with gp (GeForce pascal) ,if it isn't, than it is a fake card. But if it is, try to plug ur graphic card into other pci express slot, try that

Asus NUC: CPU:i7-4600u | ram: ddr3l 4GB x 2 | ssd: 256GB | Network: RJ45 port, wifi 802.1 ac | usb: USB Gen3 x 4 | SD: SD port x1 | Display: HDMI x1, DP x1| GPU: Intel Graphics 4400 @ 1100Mhz |

How does he know how GTX 650 performs?

3 minutes ago, J-Z said:

maybe that was his previous card. one hell of an upgrade.

Primary PC:

59 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

has he tried overclocking the card? there might be something wrong with the frequencies and possibly tweaking the voltage or something by a tiny bit will set it right. not a 100MHz OC or anything, something tiny to make sure it's actually operating properly.

No, hasn't tried overclocking it, but right now he's trying to underclock it to see if that helps and if not he'll try to overclock it a bit like you suggested

56 minutes ago, J-Z said:

He has a 660 previously and the 1060 is performing worse than it

Tell him to take the cooler off, clean thermal paste off of the GPU die and put the number on it into Google. That should give him an idea of what he actually has.

hi.

1 minute ago, MrCheesecake said:

He has a 660 previously and the 1060 is performing worse than it

ay i was almost right

Primary PC:

7 minutes ago, Barry~~ said:

Just saying, disassemble any thing on ur gpu , check out if the core name is started with gp (GeForce pascal) ,if it isn't, than it is a fake card. But if it is, try to plug ur graphic card into other pci express slot, try that

2 minutes ago, AskTJ said:

Tell him to take the cooler off, clean thermal paste off of the GPU die and put the number on it into Google. That should give him an idea of what he actually has.

He doesn't want to disassemble it since it's still under warranty

has he sought aid from the AIB that he got it under? (asus, evga, etc.) Has he checked task manager while gaming?

If the GPU usage is at 100% while gaming with that awful performance, something's fishy.

Primary PC:

Might try running DDU (Display driver uninstaller) to remove the current driver and reinstall it.

Else, see if something is causing a bottleneck. I doubt it's the 2500K...even at stock it should show a pretty fair amount of gain in fps.

2 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Might try running DDU (Display driver uninstaller) to remove the current driver and reinstall it.

Else, see if something is causing a bottleneck. I doubt it's the 2500K...even at stock it should show a pretty fair amount of gain in fps.

Maybe there is is a heat issue with is 2500K causing thermal throttling

48 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

has he sought aid from the AIB that he got it under? (asus, evga, etc.) Has he checked task manager while gaming?

If the GPU usage is at 100% while gaming with that awful performance, something's fishy.

after the underclock it's around %70-%80 and is running significantly better, but not as good as it should be 

44 minutes ago, J-Z said:

Maybe there is is a heat issue with is 2500K causing thermal throttling

No, it's not throttling at all

after the underclock it's around %70-%80 and is running significantly better, but not as good as it should be 

is that only with underclocking because he doesn't want to void his warranty, or does a tiny overclock reduce performance?

Primary PC:

No, it's not throttling at all

What is his clock speed while gaming?

41 minutes ago, J-Z said:

What is his clock speed while gaming?

3.3 Ghz

41 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

is that only with underclocking because he doesn't want to void his warranty, or does a tiny overclock reduce performance?

He's about to try overclocking it 

39 minutes ago, andyme said:

what psu do you have

Cooler Master 750W 80+ gold

3.3 Ghz

Weird, at stock, turbo boost should be running at 3.7GHz for a 2500K (Unless all cores are loaded)

might have something to do with spectre and meltdown patches you loose 30% CPU because of this update

i have 3570k lost 30% cpu because of patches 

2 minutes ago, andyme said:

i have 3570k lost 30% cpu because of patches 

the number may have been taken at idle, switching between games or something.

Primary PC: