How do OEM's solder motherboards? Curious to find info

Hello guys, wondered more about this and was wondering if any of you know how motherboards are soldered together? Obviously you guys may not know all the trade secrets on how manufacturers solder their motherboards but I was wondering if you guys maybe know a in-depth article/video on how that whole process works? I want to know how do these OEM's take Nvidia cards and Intel chips and solder them together? I would like to know if these OEM's buy in bulk and then run them through the assembly line? 

I just want to know how that whole soldering process works? 

Something tells me that both Nvidia and Intel offer a variant version to these OEM's making it easier to chop up and solder the chips together but then again I don't know how that whole process works. I'm interested to learn and find out how this soldering(in regards to OEM's chopping up and soldering chips together) process works....

Reflow-ovens and wave-soldering, mostly.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

As @WereCatf mentioned, the parts are placed / put into place, and are all soldered simultaneously (or in stages).

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

Hmmm.. Didn't really learn much from you guys vague answers and the video didn't help much. I wanted to learn how (more specifically speaking) mobile motherboards are soldered together. I wanted to (specifically) understand how these OEM's get their parts to solder together. I more-or-so wanted to know if the manufacturers literally buy Nvidia graphics cards and literally disassemble them and take them apart and then solder them to the motherboard.

Like I had mentioned in my original post, I have a feeling that these OEM's receive a more (for lack of better words) "NAKED" version of these parts before soldering them together.

For example, I would like to know (more specifically) how a laptop mobile motherboard is made and put together. Like for instance how does these OEM's integrate an Intel chip with a GTX 1070 max q? I want to know how that whole process works. I want to know if these OEM's literally buy Nvidia graphics cards in bulk and disassemble them and literally melt them and solder them together. Basically I want to know why consumers (like me and you) cannot buy or purchase an Nvidia GTX 1070 max q graphics card or an Intel 8750h cpu SEPARATELY?

3 minutes ago, Jason Greene said:

Hmmm.. Didn't really learn much from you guys vague answers and the video didn't help much. I wanted to learn how (more specifically speaking) mobile motherboards are soldered together. I wanted to (specifically) understand how these OEM's get their parts to solder together. I more-or-so wanted to know if the manufacturers literally buy Nvidia graphics cards and literally disassemble them and take them apart and then solder them to the motherboard.

Like I had mentioned in my original post, I have a feeling that these OEM's receive a more (for lack of better words) "NAKED" version of these parts before soldering them together.

For example, I would like to know (more specifically) how a laptop mobile motherboard is made and put together. Like for instance how does these OEM's integrate an Intel chip with a GTX 1070 max q? I want to know how that whole process works. I want to know if these OEM's literally buy Nvidia graphics cards in bulk and disassemble them and literally melt them and solder them together. Basically I want to know why consumers (like me and you) cannot buy or purchase an Nvidia GTX 1070 max q graphics card or an Intel 8750h cpu SEPARATELY?

They get the GPU itself and the CPU itself straight from the distributers, before then using the ovens and soldering methods to get them soldered to the motherboard. If they do graphics switching, they do it in firmware. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 hour ago, Jason Greene said:

Hmmm.. Didn't really learn much from you guys vague answers and the video didn't help much. I wanted to learn how (more specifically speaking) mobile motherboards are soldered together.

The exact same way as the non-mobile ones. Literally no difference.

I wanted to (specifically) understand how these OEM's get their parts to solder together. I more-or-so wanted to know if the manufacturers literally buy Nvidia graphics cards and literally disassemble them and take them apart and then solder them to the motherboard.

That would be idiotic. Obviously NVIDIA, Intel, AMD etc. just sell the manufacturers the bare chips and the schematics for a reference board using the chip, then the manufacturers modify the schematic to suit their own needs/wants.

Basically I want to know why consumers (like me and you) cannot buy or purchase an Nvidia GTX 1070 max q graphics card or an Intel 8750h cpu SEPARATELY?

You'd have to take that up with NVIDIA and Intel, they decide who they sell to and what the chips they sell are allowed to be used for.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 hour ago, Jason Greene said:

Oh, I can help here.

Generally, they will go to a supplier looking for parts. The supplier could be either a middle man company that stocks a lot of parts, or the actual manufacturer, and buy the parts they want. Sometimes they will specify the exact part, sometimes they'll just give a list of specs and what ever the supplier thinks is best, or best matches what they want, will be supplied. 

Nvidia, Intel and AMD will sell bulk (thousands and thousands) of chips in a tape and real for soldering to suppliers and OEMs alike, but they will only sell to actual confirmed businesses, and generally it's done through third party suppliers for smaller companies. 

Yours faithfully

Ahhhh okay I see, so in-conclusion a "Nvidia GTX 1070 max q" doesn't really exist at all and is technically a bare raw "NAKED" chip without the fan? Is that right?

Hmmm.. For a tech forum, it is sort-of silent when it comes to technical questions. 

12 hours ago, Jason Greene said:

in-conclusion a "Nvidia GTX 1070 max q" doesn't really exist at all

It does exist. They are tuned 1070 chips that have their power ceilings limited so that they do not produce the typical heat that a 1070 produces at the cost of performance. This is done either through software or hardware. Source: https://pcmag.com/article/359907/what-is-nvidia-max-q

12 hours ago, Jason Greene said:

is technically a bare raw "NAKED" chip without the fan?

No chip has a fan directly soldered on it. All chips are simply in contact with the heat spreader to distribute heat through heat pipes in the case of a laptop.

Lots of standardized automated equipment. Same thing applies for pretty much any sized pcb.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

This whole pcb and motherboard business doesn't make sense to me. It just all sounds shady and it smells really bad. I don't understand this whole soldering thing and why only a select few companies(like foxconn) are doing this. It doesn't make sense at all, and the more I dig into this topic the more I realize that both Nvidia and Intel have been controlling businesses for decades.

Nobody here(on this forum), seems to fully grasp the inner-workings of how mobile motherboards are made and when I ask questions I get these vague responses that doesn't make any sense. 

The whole idea about mobile motherboards being expensive to make sounds absurd and it doesn't make sense (unless Intel has complete control over the market). I have studied how motherboards are soldered together and from what I've seen they're really isn't that much complications to it, you just remove the components not needed and glue all the components needed and activate through firmware and WHALLAH, you just built your own mobile laptop. 

I want to know why a pc building company like "Cyber Power Pc"(for example) won't do custom built laptops from the ground up. From my understanding, if you take apart a "GTX 1070" and solder it to a motherboard, that GPU would now be referred to as "GTX 1070 max q". So my question is why are only popular brands building laptops and not just anyone. Something isn't right here, either some type of monopoly is going on or some shady business between Intel and Nvidia. This whole thing just doesn't make any sense at all.

• 5 years later...

Mate the best people I could recommend are either Louis Rossman or Tronicsfix, Louis Rossman repairs mostly apple stuff and Tronicsfix repairs almost anything.

On 7/11/2018 at 1:00 PM, Joey Kapish said:

This whole pcb and motherboard business doesn't make sense to me. It just all sounds shady and it smells really bad. I don't understand this whole soldering thing and why only a select few companies(like foxconn) are doing this. It doesn't make sense at all, and the more I dig into this topic the more I realize that both Nvidia and Intel have been controlling businesses for decades.

Nobody here(on this forum), seems to fully grasp the inner-workings of how mobile motherboards are made and when I ask questions I get these vague responses that doesn't make any sense. 

The whole idea about mobile motherboards being expensive to make sounds absurd and it doesn't make sense (unless Intel has complete control over the market). I have studied how motherboards are soldered together and from what I've seen they're really isn't that much complications to it, you just remove the components not needed and glue all the components needed and activate through firmware and WHALLAH, you just built your own mobile laptop. 

I want to know why a pc building company like "Cyber Power Pc"(for example) won't do custom built laptops from the ground up. From my understanding, if you take apart a "GTX 1070" and solder it to a motherboard, that GPU would now be referred to as "GTX 1070 max q". So my question is why are only popular brands building laptops and not just anyone. Something isn't right here, either some type of monopoly is going on or some shady business between Intel and Nvidia. This whole thing just doesn't make any sense at all.

Build that conspiracy brick by brick...

It's not a complex thing, there are pcbs and components and soldered traces.   

The videos outline how it works at scale.  If you do not understand them, go more granular and research the exact soldering method they use, for example .  If you do not understand,it's not them. It's you..

It's not shady or smells bad. You're not some investigative reporter uncovering the scandal of the decade.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi