Whea uncorrectable blue screen error

I tried overclocking my CPU, i5 8600k, using Asus' EZ tuner. It made some changes to my CPU settings. After that, I ran Aida64 for about 40 minutes and my temperature never went higher than 65. I thought I got a stable OC so I played Battlefield 1 at Ultra and 1440p to see if it really was stable. After 15 minutes of gameplay, my computer froze so I hit the reset button on my computer case. After booting up to the desktop, I would get an WHEA Uncorrectable blue screen error. I tried resetting my bios settings to remove the overclock but I would still get the error. Increasing the CPU's core voltage to 1.2 seemed to help but it would still give me the error but after around 30 minutes of use. I tried monitoring my CPU's temp and it never went higher than 50 before it crashed. Does this sound like a hardware problem? Could it be my PSU or CPU? My PSU has 650w and is bronze. I've never had this problem before. 

3 minutes ago, makz3l said:

I tried overclocking my CPU, i5 8600k, using Asus' EZ tuner. It made some changes to my CPU settings. After that, I ran Aida64 for about 40 minutes and my temperature never went higher than 65. I thought I got a stable OC so I played Battlefield 1 at Ultra and 1440p to see if it really was stable. After 15 minutes of gameplay, my computer froze so I hit the reset button on my computer case. After booting up to the desktop, I would get an WHEA Uncorrectable blue screen error. I tried resetting my bios settings to remove the overclock but I would still get the error. Increasing the CPU's core voltage to 1.2 seemed to help but it would still give me the error but after around 30 minutes of use. I tried monitoring my CPU's temp and it never went higher than 50 before it crashed. Does this sound like a hardware problem? Could it be my PSU or CPU? My PSU has 650w and is bronze. I've never had this problem before. 

This sounds like an unstable OC.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

1 minute ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

This sounds like an unstable OC.

I would still get the error after removing the overclock.

3 minutes ago, makz3l said:

If you still get it after removing the OC, then next logical step is the RAM. Go download Memtest86 and run a few passes on it (It will take between 1-2hrs per pass on average so this is a time consuming task)

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, makz3l said:

Did you mess around at all with any other components clock speeds, such as the RAM? If the answer is no then I would reinstall windows to rule out any corrupted programs, and unstable setting and then reattempt. To diagnose and recommend any other issues we would need more data, such as specs of the entire PC, altered settings and etc. 

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

@Skiiwee29 I'll try that and get back with you. Thanks.

@Wh0_Am_1 I actually just re-installed Windows 10 and it would still give me the error. I didn't mess with my other component's settings.

PC specs.

i5-8600k

2x8 DDR4 RAM

630w bronze PSU

Sandisk Plus SSD

GTX 1080

Z370i motherboard

Edited by makz3l

Reset CMOS maybe?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

So I just checked the dump file and found out that hal.dll, pshed.dll, and ntoskrnl.dll are causing the problems. I did the Intel Processor Diagnostic Test and it passed everything. Tried running Prime95 for a couple hours and the temp never went higher than 80c. 

22 hours ago, makz3l said:

So I just checked the dump file and found out that hal.dll, pshed.dll, and ntoskrnl.dll are causing the problems. I did the Intel Processor Diagnostic Test and it passed everything. Tried running Prime95 for a couple hours and the temp never went higher than 80c. 

Did you try clearing the CMOS like Jurrunio suggested?

This will make absolutely sure you're resetting everything to stock settings.

Just shut down your computer, unplug it, pull that little watch battery out of the motherboard, wait about 30 seconds and put it back in,

Then plug in and boot up again.

FYI, 40 minutes of Aida64 is not enough. I wouldn't trust anything less than a 24 hour stress test with Aida. Even then it may not turn up everything like unexpected shutdown errors that'll happen. I usually find myself increasing the voltage for my overclocks by about 0.005 to 0.01 even after passing a 24 hour Aida64 stress test to get perfect stability.

On 7/10/2018 at 10:18 AM, stateofpsychosis said:

Did you try clearing the CMOS like Jurrunio suggested?

This will make absolutely sure you're resetting everything to stock settings.

Just shut down your computer, unplug it, pull that little watch battery out of the motherboard, wait about 30 seconds and put it back in,

Then plug in and boot up again.

FYI, 40 minutes of Aida64 is not enough. I wouldn't trust anything less than a 24 hour stress test with Aida. Even then it may not turn up everything like unexpected shutdown errors that'll happen. I usually find myself increasing the voltage for my overclocks by about 0.005 to 0.01 even after passing a 24 hour Aida64 stress test to get perfect stability.

I cleared my CMOS. Was able to play Diablo 3 for about an hour and do some other tasks until it crashed again. I guess I have to replace my CPU.

14 hours ago, makz3l said:

I cleared my CMOS. Was able to play Diablo 3 for about an hour and do some other tasks until it crashed again. I guess I have to replace my CPU.

Don't assume that yet.

Since your temps are still far away from 80 degrees, try increasing your CPU vcore voltage a bit more.

Increasing it the first time improved things a little so let's see where we can get with that.

Keep increasing it by tiny amounts like 0.01 or 0.005 at a time and testing/checking temps.

Don't exceed 80 degrees and make sure you're testing for at least 20 minutes with Aida64 after each increase.