Good virtualization software?

Hello, I'm looking for a Virtualization program to mess around with (just 1 VM, I only have 4c/8t), I've already used VirtualBox, and while nice, it is very limited by the 256MB VRAM cap, and the apparent inability to have a 16:9 screen with it.

I know what you mean, I have the same issue. I know this doesn't quite answer your question but you can fix the screen issue in the settings to make it more bearable. My friend uses VMware Workstation Player, its expensive for a license but he somehow got a student edition of it. Its meant to be used by large companies for IT purposes so it's very customizable. 

Why do you need more than 256mb of vram? 

What host os?

For virtualbox, don't use the viewer, use remotedesktop or ssh for remote sessicons. You can also set a custom res if you want. 

VMware workstation player or hyper-v (windows) if you're wanting type 2 hypervisor options. If you want to turn your computer into a tier 1 hypervisor there a quite a few options out there.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

What host OS? What kind of VM are you trying to run and what are you hoping to achieve?

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

Since when has virtualbox limited vram to 256MB?

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

And I'm here running a full system @ 1080p with 16MB (yes MB) of VRAM on the built in GPU...

VRAM is not your limitation,  If you are running a Windows host use Remote Desktop connection, or try some VNC software.

2 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Why do you need more than 256mb of vram? 

What host os?

For virtualbox, don't use the viewer, use remotedesktop or ssh for remote sessicons. You can also set a custom res if you want. 

For messing with, I may only have 2 gigs of VRAM but 256MB isn't enough for anything at this point.

I'm using Windows 8.1 Pro (64-bit, of course)

Idk what either remotedesktop or ssh are...  But thanks for the advice.

2 hours ago, Snipergod87 said:

And I'm here running a full system @ 1080p with 16MB (yes MB) of VRAM on the built in GPU...

VRAM is not your limitation,  If you are running a Windows host use Remote Desktop connection, or try some VNC software.

Is it such an outlandish idea that I want to run Crysis on a VM just because I can?

7 minutes ago, ZcanKal said:

For messing with, I may only have 2 gigs of VRAM but 256MB isn't enough for anything at this point.

I'm using Windows 8.1 Pro (64-bit, of course)

Idk what either remotedesktop or ssh are...  But thanks for the advice.

Vms like this aren't made for gpu power, the virtual gpu is just so you can configure stuff with a gui. If you want graphics performance you need anouther solution

Look into remotefx in hyper-v(enable it in windows)

6 minutes ago, ZcanKal said:

Is it such an outlandish idea that I want to run Crysis on a VM just because I can?

Yea, vms aren't made for gaming like this, esp without a good hardware solution like vgpu or gpu passthough.

On 7/4/2018 at 1:34 AM, ZcanKal said:

Like @Electronics Wizardy said, VM is not designed for running games.  The virtual GPU in the VM is no where at the capacity to run any modern games.  A VM is more designed to run as a server or running desktop applications.

If you want to host VM on a Windows host, typically you have 3 options

If you want to turn your PC to a dedicated VM server aka bare-metal hypervisor aka type 1 hypervisor then you typically have 3 options (there's more options available but these are just the common choices).

None of these options would satisfy your need to run a modern game on a VM though.  :(

7 hours ago, beyonddc said:

If you want to host VM on a Windows host, typically you have 3 options

dont forget hyper-v ,included in windows 10 pro and above and works well.

7 hours ago, beyonddc said:

If you want to turn your PC to a dedicated VM server aka bare-metal hypervisor aka type 1 hypervisor then you typically have 3 options (there's more options available but these are just the common choices).

how about kvm on linux? used in proxmox and ovirt and others(like unraid)

3 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

how about kvm on linux? used in proxmox and ovirt and others(like unraid)

I was just listing out common choices for bare-metal hypervisor.  My common choices probably going to be different than your common choices.  I personally prefer ESXI since that's what I am most familiar with.

11 hours ago, beyonddc said:

I was just listing out common choices for bare-metal hypervisor.  My common choices probably going to be different than your common choices.  I personally prefer ESXI since that's what I am most familiar with.

is there a free license version of ESXi? Right now im using xenserver but always wanted to try ESXi

37 minutes ago, Fleetscut said:

is there a free license version of ESXi? Right now im using xenserver but always wanted to try ESXi

ESXi has had a free option since 6.0 iirc, yes.

15 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Hyper-V is actually part of Windows since Windows 7 as long as you have Pro or higher :)

On 7/4/2018 at 7:34 AM, ZcanKal said:

Yep. It defeats the purpose of a VM. Crysis runs fine on Windows XP through 10, so there's no need for virtualization for that ;) 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro