4790K high temps - again :/

Hey everyone,

Yes I’m having the same issue again if you saw my previous topics on the same issue but there’s two things that are now happening.

1. Even though the previous solution with the Cooler Master 212 Evo worked, the heatsink is absolutely, not cold, but not warm/hot either, even though my temperature are practically hitting between 45-53 C now.

2. I tried overclocking, from 4.4GHz to 4.5GHz, with additional 0.025v (1.175v, originally was 1.155) added to VCore, this drastically increased the temperature. 

Idle: 50-55 C. While gaming or using CPU intensive apps would potentially cause it to reach 100C, it doesn’t shut down but throttles.

Here’s my full PC specs:

Intel Core i7 4790K (4.4GHz @ 1.15V VCore)

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming

Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 3 Rev 1.0 Motherboard

G-Skull & Corsair Vengeance 2200MHz 32GB DDR3

(I’m not sure exactly the PSU but it’s Aerocool Xpredator 80 Plus Gold 1000w)

Edited by XxRaPiDK3LLERxX

Uhm, 45-53c is still pretty cold for a CPU. The heatsink should feel about neutral to lukewarm. Once a heatsink becomes super hot, it's saturated and the CPU should be near throttling at that point.

So what are the temps like when stressing? How is the airflow situation and ambient temperature?

The 4790K is a handful and the stupid toothpaste underneath the IHS doesn't help.... a 212 is also too weak for overclocking it tbh.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Well with noctua nh-d15 temps are like god with my 4790k 

Playing rainbow6 at high/ultra 1440p 120-165fps almost 4,6 :D 

On idle is like ambient temperature ? (32º now on summer like 27 on winter)IMG-20180623-WA0015.jpg.b7025360f082ab98161a211adf566de4.jpg

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

I had same temps as you when my nox h212 was in but for bad mounting brackets (pull brackets like am3 socket that wasnt doing the correct preassure , like 1 bracket touching the mobo heatspreader and that making like 50-70º on idle 100º full throttle on aida) so i think 212 is like stock coolers?, lock the mounting check all the "screws".

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

This is your mobo?
Check if your cooler touches the red heatspreaders or anything in between (capacitors or somethink like that, left and top side of cpu socket)
My problem was with another mobo but in the left side  
A1yQgzSy8OL._SY550_.jpg

40 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Uhm, 45-53c is still pretty cold for a CPU. The heatsink should feel about neutral to lukewarm. Once a heatsink becomes super hot, it's saturated and the CPU should be near throttling at that point.

So what are the temps like when stressing? How is the airflow situation and ambient temperature?

The 4790K is a handful and the stupid toothpaste underneath the IHS doesn't help.... a 212 is also too weak for overclocking it tbh.

Hmmm that’s interesting... and yeah I heard about that “stupid toothpaste” I would’ve delidded it but I’m worried about completely messing it up. Previously when I had 4790 without K, it ran way cooler even with Intel stock cooler.

Stressing it out causes the CPU temperature to fluctuate between 80C - 87C.

39 minutes ago, Peskanova said:

Well with noctua nh-d15 temps are like god with my 4790k 

Playing rainbow6 at high/ultra 1440p 120-165fps almost 4,6 :D 

On idle is like ambient temperature ? (32º now on summer like 27 on winter)IMG-20180623-WA0015.jpg.b7025360f082ab98161a211adf566de4.jpg

Those temperatures are great tbh, that results, I would say, are perfect, and that there’s nothing wrong.

With mine the temperature jumps a bit, the temperature skyrockets a lot when the cpu usage increases.

36 minutes ago, Peskanova said:

I had same temps as you when my nox h212 was in but for bad mounting brackets (pull brackets like am3 socket that wasnt doing the correct preassure , like 1 bracket touching the mobo heatspreader and that making like 50-70º on idle 100º full throttle on aida) so i think 212 is like stock coolers?, lock the mounting check all the "screws".

You are somewhat correct with the mounting checks of the screws, the screw basically needs to be tightened, but at the same time there is a bracket that needs to be pressed down while screwing to make it contact with the CPU better. I’m not sure how I’m able to explain it.

Simple way of saying it that the brackets needs to be pressed down, the screw needs to be tightened.

33 minutes ago, Peskanova said:

This is your mobo?
Check if your cooler touches the red heatspreaders or anything in between (capacitors or somethink like that, left and top side of cpu socket)
My problem was with another mobo but in the left side  
A1yQgzSy8OL._SY550_.jpg

Yes that’s my mobo and it doesn’t seemed to be touching any of those capacitors or heatspreaders

DD740F7A-BE6A-4F98-AEF8-2941AF3DB54E.thumb.jpeg.75d550f77ca9a326b74bfeb6d5b7d70d.jpeg

1572B2A9-D097-40D3-A1E4-BD47FB665F0D.thumb.jpeg.2c3dc0d554f2d983c495a8945b757daf.jpeg

These are are just two quick pictures, I’m at the moment trying to sort some space out to take the computer out to do some things with it.

that 212 mount , on my girlfriend pc it slides a bit so try to put vertical and do some force to check if its that (it can be that is not making good contact because it slides like my gf's and when you put that way it slides a bit to the bottom (gravity wise) and gives you that temps , try to put it rested on the other panel and check if it can slide a bit to the top or side-to side 

19 minutes ago, Peskanova said:

that 212 mount , on my girlfriend pc it slides a bit so try to put vertical and do some force to check if its that (it can be that is not making good contact because it slides like my gf's and when you put that way it slides a bit to the bottom (gravity wise) and gives you that temps , try to put it rested on the other panel and check if it can slide a bit to the top or side-to side 

You mean place the PC vertical? And I see what you mean by the heatsink sliding. Alright I’ll try that, thanks

Edit: I decided to also reapply the thermal paste, the heatsink and the CPU has quite some thermal paste left. 

I used Artic Silver 5 by the way and shall I do a vertical line or pea/dot method?

Edited by XxRaPiDK3LLERxX

I use pea method but be generous (better have a little more than have ihs without ) 

1 hour ago, Peskanova said:

I use pea method but be generous (better have a little more than have ihs without ) 

I’m not sure wth I did but now my PC wouldn’t boot up at all, when I turn it on, my NXZT Hue+ LED strips flashes when it shouldn’t, the fans turn on and off repeatedly.

It cant be thermal compound. 

50 minutes ago, Peskanova said:

It cant be thermal compound. 

I just fixed it, took me several hours :/

But I just re-attaches the wires, PSU, CPU heatsink and the processor itself and it worked (including clearing the CMOS)

I’m going to put everything I took out back in the PC and I’ll let you know if the temps dropped

It seemed to be better, I’m getting 44C in BIOS. Although now I’m getting issues with RAM & setting manual VCore. 

Seems like putting RAM sticks in the first and second lane causes the PC to go in endless reboots.

Setting manual VCore voltage now causes boot failures according to the motherboard BIOS, although for some odd reason, automatic VCore voltage has became somewhat better as it isn’t giving a lot of voltage than it used to :/

Still need help. I played few games such as Rise Of The Tomb Raider, COD WWII, GTA V but the temps skyrockets...

The temps seems to do good when idle but when the CPU usage rises it seems to have an issue.

10 hours ago, XxRaPiDK3LLERxX said:

Still need help. I played few games such as Rise Of The Tomb Raider, COD WWII, GTA V but the temps skyrockets...

The temps seems to do good when idle but when the CPU usage rises it seems to have an issue.

That sounds like bad mount. But I also think that you may have just very bad luck with CPU.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Make sure to tighten the screws evenly in an X-pattern as opposed to one side before the other to ensure a good mount. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

16 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

That sounds like bad mount. But I also think that you may have just very bad luck with CPU.

Yeah that’s what I’m thinking but I mounted this heatsink 2-3 times today again. Still the same issue :/ 

before I did RMA the CPU twice. They didn’t told me what was the issue with the previous ones.

5 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Make sure to tighten the screws evenly in an X-pattern as opposed to one side before the other to ensure a good mount. 

Hmmm I’ll give that a shot, I only screwed the screws tight but not very tight as it stopped the RAM slot 1 working properly. 

3 hours ago, XxRaPiDK3LLERxX said:

Yeah that’s what I’m thinking but I mounted this heatsink 2-3 times today again. Still the same issue :/ 

before I did RMA the CPU twice. They didn’t told me what was the issue with the previous ones.

Hmmm I’ll give that a shot, I only screwed the screws tight but not very tight as it stopped the RAM slot 1 working properly. 

Can you mount the fan on the other side of the cooler?

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

56 minutes ago, Gix7Fifty said:

Can you mount the on the other side of the cooler?

I’m sorry but I don’t quite understand what you meant. Did you mean put the CPU heatsink fan on the other side?

I can do that yeah.

And about tightening the screws evening didn’t help at all. Still same results.

Sorry for the late reply.

I tried mounting the fan on the other side of the heatsink but it does not affect to the temperature at all. Although it does stop being in contact with the first RAM stick.

3 hours ago, XxRaPiDK3LLERxX said:

Sorry for the late reply.

I tried mounting the fan on the other side of the heatsink but it does not affect to the temperature at all. Although it does stop being in contact with the first RAM stick.

Ofc it doesn't. Thats the point. It just adds more room for RAM.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv