Help! Fast internet but downloads are slow!

verysmall
Go to solution Solved by Tartandy,
2 minutes ago, Anghammarad said:

again as I said above, you having a 1 gbit connection at home doesn't mean you got the internet for your own... 

Gonna agree with anghammarad here, I know there are videos of people with insane download speeds on steam, but that doesn't mean that every steam server is able to do so. For you to get download speeds anywhere near your network connection a lot things need to be working fast as hell. Perhaps the steam servers you download from are very busy, or far away.

Now I understand that because you have 900+ downlaods you'd want that as much as possible, but just because you can get it, doesn't mean steam can always push data that fast. Chains are only as strong as the weakest link, and just because you're not necessarily the weakest link, doesn't mean that the chain is as strong as your bit the entire way.

I get around 900mbps down!!! but while downloading things say on steam for instance, games will only download at around 9-23mbps. Ive tried changing my download region, clearing the cache, everything that i can think of! Help please!

Screenshot (2).png

Having such a big Internet line at home doesn't guarantee you that every site you want to download from has the same size and that you won't have to share the server with other people who might want to download something too... 

so calm down, make a coffee/tea, get some bisquits and watch some series/yt videos until the download finishes...

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

1 minute ago, verysmall said:

Games will only download at around 9-23mbps.

Are you perhaps mistaking steams downloads as showing mbps instead of MB/s? As a side note I am also insanely jealous of your connection speed.

CPU: R7 1700 @ 3.7GHz - GPU: Asus 1080 Ti STRIX - RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz - MB: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero - Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 2x140mm AIO - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD - Case: Phanteks P400s Tempered Glass - Monitor: LG - 34UM88C 34.0" 3440x1440 KEYBOARD: Leopold FC660M ISO (MX blues) & Tai Hao Cement/Lavender keycaps

Having such a big Internet line at home doesn't guarantee you that every site you want to download from has the same size and that you won't have to share the server with other people who might want to download something too... 

so calm down, make a coffee/tea, get some bisquits and watch some series/yt videos until the download finishes...

yes but ive seen planty of videos and things of people downloading things from steam at ATLEAST 60 mbps

5 minutes ago, Anghammarad said:

Well I mean, my connection is 250mbps and I get around 20MB/s on steam, so....

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

6 minutes ago, Tartandy said:

Are you perhaps mistaking steams downloads as showing mbps instead of MB/s? As a side note I am also insanely jealous of your connection speed.

^

2 minutes ago, verysmall said:

yes but ive seen planty of videos and things of people downloading things from steam at ATLEAST 60 mbps

Depends what games and what download server youre connected to. There is many factors effecting your download speed. I mean personally if you can download update under 10minutes I am pretty happy.

If only i have that upload speed.

Magical Pineapples

5 minutes ago, Tartandy said:

they're downloading around 9-23 megaBYTES per second. which is still not as fast as it should be!

Are you downloading to a hard drive? I have a 200 Mbps line and in some downloads is the hard drive the bottle neck.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X

Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4-3200 DIMM CL16

GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3070 VENTUS 2X OC

Cooling: CORSAIR H100i v2

VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum

Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

Sound: Logitech G433 Camouflag

2 minutes ago, verysmall said:

they're downloading around 9-23 megaBYTES per second. which is still not as fast as it should be!

again as I said above, you having a 1 gbit connection at home doesn't mean you got the internet for your own... 

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

2 minutes ago, Merlin Sa said:

Are you downloading to a hard drive? I have a 200 Mbps line and in some downloads is the hard drive the bottle neck.

i am currently downloading to a hard drive but i have tried downloading it to my 250gb ssd and still same results!

I get it right, like around 25mbps isnt really that disgustingly awful! my biggest point is just that with speeds this high i should be downloading faster!

Otherwise, just look in the Task Manager if something else is bottleneck. (if you have Win 10)

If not it's because of Steam or your Provider.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X

Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4-3200 DIMM CL16

GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3070 VENTUS 2X OC

Cooling: CORSAIR H100i v2

VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum

Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

Sound: Logitech G433 Camouflag

6 minutes ago, verysmall said:

I get it right, like around 25mbps isnt really that disgustingly awful! my biggest point is just that with speeds this high i should be downloading faster!

That is just a theoretical max speed. You are never going to have your maxspeed all the time, especially if you live in a big city.

Lets break it down and make it more simple. You own a mustang that is capable of going 200mph and you start driving on the highway. But the highway is full of other cars so you have to slow down and drive 100mph. Unless the left lane is free you are not going reach your 200mph. I had the same issue with my LTE connection. The transmitter I was connecting to had so many people using it on prime times that I couldnt even hit 100KB/s though when I downloaded something over night, the transmitter had very little users so I had a way faster connection.

Gonna agree with anghammarad here, I know there are videos of people with insane download speeds on steam, but that doesn't mean that every steam server is able to do so. For you to get download speeds anywhere near your network connection a lot things need to be working fast as hell. Perhaps the steam servers you download from are very busy, or far away.

Now I understand that because you have 900+ downlaods you'd want that as much as possible, but just because you can get it, doesn't mean steam can always push data that fast. Chains are only as strong as the weakest link, and just because you're not necessarily the weakest link, doesn't mean that the chain is as strong as your bit the entire way.

CPU: R7 1700 @ 3.7GHz - GPU: Asus 1080 Ti STRIX - RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz - MB: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero - Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 2x140mm AIO - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD - Case: Phanteks P400s Tempered Glass - Monitor: LG - 34UM88C 34.0" 3440x1440 KEYBOARD: Leopold FC660M ISO (MX blues) & Tai Hao Cement/Lavender keycaps

I've got 400Mbit-ish broadband and sometimes steam downloads at 50mbytes/s sometimes it sits at 15 or so...luck of the draw really, plus it depends on the strain at the time on the servers.

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

What country are you in and what is your ISP?

It's possible for an ISP to throttle the data to certain traffic such as Steam. If they're delivering gigabit speeds to a lot of customers they may do this to ensure there isn't congestion on the network caused by just a few people downloading steam games.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

I think you overestimate steam's capacity. Right now the summer sale is happening, so there are millions of people buying and downloading from their servers. The bandwidth is shared and loadbalanced so everyone get's his or her share. If you want faster downloads, wait until after the summer sale.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro