Student in 3D engineering need quadro with 4gb or should go bigger?

KrYpToCiD

Hello. I want to make a workstation for heavy work in Solidworks (in free time) and pretty light work in Maya and even UE and CryEngine and I want to switch from my old 780TI that i have for quite few years (5 I think).

Now, I'm a student ( in my country you do more than your specialization in university in the early years and in the final ones you start the specializaton) and I would like to know if is it worth to buy an older K2200 with 4GB or double the budget and go for M4000 (sadly this and P4000 are the only option I have (without selling my kidney :) ) with more than 2 GB VRAM available in my country). I might go with future proofing tactic and buy a new one, having the opportunity to sell it if I want, without loosing to much money. If I'm buying the K2200 I won't be able to sell it for a decent amount on money in the case of a new upgrade, while with the M4000 i can take almost half of the current price and and the money I would invest for upgrade will be fewer than selling K2200 for nothing. Please keep in mind that my budget is kinda limited :)  I'm a freshman :))

P.S. I try to avoid buying used components, but this time is a friend's father offer and saw how it was used for the past 2 years or so. I can tell that it was used only for working at home on time critical projects that were quite rare. 

P.P.S. I want to apologize if I'm making spelling mistakes :) I didn't practiced my English for a while xD 

So sad i can't delete messages

Edited by 17030644

3 minutes ago, 17030644 said:

Well

OK that is very helpful :))) 

3 minutes ago, KrYpToCiD said:

Hello. I want to make a workstation for heavy work in Solidworks (in free time) and pretty light work in Maya and even UE and CryEngine and I want to switch from my old 780TI that i have for quite few years (5 I think).

Now, I'm a student ( in my country you do more than your specialization in university in the early years and in the final ones you start the specializaton) and I would like to know if is it worth to buy an older K2200 with 4GB or double the budget and go for M4000 (sadly this and P4000 are the only option I have (without selling my kidney :) ) with more than 2 GB VRAM available in my country). I might go with future proofing tactic and buy a new one, having the opportunity to sell it if I want, without loosing to much money. If I'm buying the K2200 I won't be able to sell it for a decent amount on money in the case of a new upgrade, while with the M4000 i can take almost half of the current price and and the money I would invest for upgrade will be fewer than selling K2200 for nothing. Please keep in mind that my budget is kinda limited :)  I'm a freshman :))

P.S. I try to avoid buying used components, but this time is a friend's father offer and saw how it was used for the past 2 years or so. I can tell that it was used only for working at home on time critical projects that were quite rare. 

P.P.S. I want to apologize if I'm making spelling mistakes :) I didn't practiced my English for a while xD 

The M4000 and the P4000 are significantly more powerful than the K2200, but that only matters if the software you're using really leverages the cores available. I dont believe Solidworks benefits significantly from powerful GPU's but Maya might, especially since many of the recommendations suggest you'd want more VRAM for extra intensive modeling. I have no experiences or knowledge of UE or CryEngine, but if this is you career path (as it is mine) then the M4000 or P400 might be a worthy investment :)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Now, I'm a student ( in my country you do more than your specialization in university in the early years and in the final ones you start the specializaton) and I would like to know if is it worth to buy an older K2200 with 4GB or double the budget and go for M4000

VRAM usage varies per program, per project, per resolution I'd go with the newer Pxxxx cards not because of more VRAM but due to the fact that newer cards perform better, have more and newer ports, usually draw less power and are better optimized to work because when software developers optimize their stuff they thing of the newest card first

Now if you are a student YOU DON'T NEED A QUADRO CARD, I am pretty sure more students can afford a top-of-the-machine so don't worry you can go GEFORCE and that will give you the GPU acceleration you need. Quadro is just a geforce with some validation process and extra features that you don't always benefit from. Although, solidworks is known to work better on quadro cards so if that program is more important to you quadro is not a bad choice at all

(sadly this and P4000 are the only option I have (without selling my kidney :) ) with more than 2 GB VRAM available in my country). I might go with future proofing tactic and buy a new one, having the opportunity to sell it if I want, without loosing to much money. If I'm buying the K2200 I won't be able to sell it for a decent amount on money in the case of a new upgrade, while with the M4000 i can take almost half of the current price and and the money I would invest for upgrade will be fewer than selling K2200 for nothing. Please keep in mind that my budget is kinda limited :)  I'm a freshman :))

It'd be nice if you mentioned your actual budget and the country you are from. We can't try to understand you if you just say "my budget is limited and things are expensive here" everyone has a different conception of that

11 minutes ago, KrYpToCiD said:

Don't worry. I'm sure many people here including me aren't native speakers and even native speakers don't have perfect english so don't take it so seriously :)

6 minutes ago, KrYpToCiD said:

OK that is very helpful :))) 

I pressed submit by mistake it is edited now

12 minutes ago, 17030644 said:

Although, solidworks is known to work better on quadro cards so if that program is more important to you quadro is not a bad choice at all

Can confirm this, Solidworks likes workstation GPU's over consumer grade. Autodesk Inventor doesnt care, and I dont believe Maya does either from what I've seen online.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 minute ago, TVwazhere said:

Can confirm this, Solidworks likes workstation GPU's over consumer grade. Autodesk Inventor doesnt care, and I dont believe Maya does either from what I've seen online.

Yep very few programs actually benefit from quadro at the end of the day just like I said quadros and geforce share the same architecture and even specs so you're looking at more polished drivers or an FP64 performance increase at best as far as power goes

1 minute ago, 17030644 said:

Yep very few programs actually benefit from quadro at the end of the day just like I said quadros and geforce share the same architecture and even specs so you're looking at more polished drivers or an FP64 performance increase at best as far as power goes

Do you know if Radeon and FirePro share a similar relationship? I'll admit I'm not familiar with the FirePro lineup or it's relationship to the mainstream GPU's. I would assume it's the same but I've done 0 research.

2 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Do you know if Radeon and FirePro share a similar relationship? I'll admit I'm not familiar with the FirePro lineup or it's relationship to the mainstream GPU's. I would assume it's the same but I've done 0 research.

I actually don't know. I don't see many people using firepro cards this days it should be the same as they are for the same usecases but I am not 100% certain

2 hours ago, 17030644 said:

Now if you are a student YOU DON'T NEED A QUADRO CARD, I am pretty sure more students can afford a top-of-the-machine so don't worry you can go GEFORCE and that will give you the GPU acceleration you need. Quadro is just a geforce with some validation process and extra features that you don't always benefit from. Although, solidworks is known to work better on quadro cards so if that program is more important to you quadro is not a bad choice at all

It'd be nice if you mentioned your actual budget and the country you are from. We can't try to understand you if you just say "my budget is limited and things are expensive here" everyone has a different conception of that

Ok. I'll go on your advice. I'm not really sure about how it will perform better, with quadro or GTX card and where. On puget System's site there were different GPUs proposed for CAD and Content Creation.  

My budget will be around 400-450$ but I jumped to 800$ only for that 8GB of VRAM (my other upgrades that I wanted to do were postponed). And by expensive I mean I live in a kinda poor country (the minimal income is around 400/month and from that you loose around 32% to taxes and retirement plan) and the taxes are 20% of brute value of the product and the vendors are adding a quite high profit for them. I've found out that, even with offer sale the pice here is with 25$ higher than the normal price on NewEgg. and normal price here is arount 100$ over NewEgg. even the purchase from another country on internet is not an option due that 20% tax i need to pay to get the product thru custom. xD  that is what i mean by pricey :) 

Right while writing this I've got a newsletter where I've found a P2000 at 400$ and also some GTX 1060 6GB from Asus, GB and MSI and 1070 8GB from some unknown brands. 

2 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

The M4000 and the P4000 are significantly more powerful than the K2200, but that only matters if the software you're using really leverages the cores available. I dont believe Solidworks benefits significantly from powerful GPU's but Maya might, especially since many of the recommendations suggest you'd want more VRAM for extra intensive modeling. I have no experiences or knowledge of UE or CryEngine, but if this is you career path (as it is mine) then the M4000 or P400 might be a worthy investment :)

I have a side question for you :)  What monitor do you use for 3D stuff? I can't quite understand how you manage on that 23" Asus that you have layed at Blue Build ( I wanted to avoit this question and I tried to take a peak at it xD ) I have 22" DELL and I can say that I want to go with something bigger :)

16 minutes ago, KrYpToCiD said:

I have a side question for you :)  What monitor do you use for 3D stuff? I can't quite understand how you manage on that 23" Asus that you have layed at Blue Build ( I wanted to avoit this question and I tried to take a peak at it xD ) I have 22" DELL and I can say that I want to go with something bigger :)

The Blue build isnt my personal rig, that was done for my friend over a year ago :P Same thing for the Purple Build

My personal computer and my Work PC are also two different PCs as well (the build listed in my signature is my personal PC) My work PC is a custom spec HP Z240 with an I7-7700k and a P1000 for Autodesk inventor. I have a triple wide monitor setup (all 16:9 ratio), the two outside ones are 22 or 23" 1080p 60hz TN panels, the middle is a 27" 4k 60hz IPS panel. I personally dont do any super large part models (1000+) so this config works great for me. None of them are "CAD Grade" but the middle is IPS for better color accuracy and high res to help me determine if my lines are straight ;) 

20171115_142247.jpg

8 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

The Blue build isnt my personal rig, that was done for my friend over a year ago :P Same thing for the Purple Build

My personal computer and my Work PC are also two different PCs as well (the build listed in my signature is my personal PC) My work PC is a custom spec HP Z240 with an I7-7700k and a P1000 for Autodesk inventor. I have a triple wide monitor setup (all 16:9 ratio), the two outside ones are 22 or 23" 1080p 60hz TN panels, the middle is a 27" 4k 60hz IPS panel. I personally dont do any super large part models (1000+) so this config works great for me. None of them are "CAD Grade" but the middle is IPS for better color accuracy and high res to help me determine if my lines are straight ;) 

20171115_142247.jpg

Oh, mi bad :) Yeah, I was thinking about dual 27" again with nice IPS but only 2K . In the future, when I gather some budget again, I'll add a 4k one, maybe slighty bigger like 30" or 32. The current monitor will be reused as 3rd monitor in portrait mode. I've found this mode to be more pleasing for reading texts and emails :))

• 3 weeks later...

Hi KrYpToCiD. It's really importnatn question in present days. It's really great that you are interested in 3d engineering. it's commendable that you care about your future and think ahead about good experience. But if they want to get a good education you should engage in self-development and maybe ask for help professionals like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_modeling or https://pro-papers.com/gb/engineering-writing-service and then you will definitely can make a workstation for heavy work in Solidworks and pretty light work in Maya and even UE and CryEngine.

On 7/12/2018 at 5:04 PM, Amy90 said:

Hi KrYpToCiD. It's really importnatn question in present days. It's really great that you are interested in 3d engineering. it's commendable that you care about your future and think ahead about good experience. But if they want to get a good education you should engage in self-development and maybe ask for help professionals like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_modeling or https://pro-papers.com/gb/engineering-writing-service and then you will definitely can make a workstation for heavy work in Solidworks and pretty light work in Maya and even UE and CryEngine.

Hi. Sorry for the delayed reply but I'd a tight schedule. I'll do some research on the link you provided. Thank you for your input =)