1 Modem -> 1 Wireless Router -> 2 Managed Switches -> Devices?

Arcanum Luminarium

I am planing to Purchase these

Modem:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N6SKK1G/ref=psdc_284715_t1_B0723599RQ

Router:
https://www.amazon.com/Tri-band-AiProtection-Accelerator-Compatible-GT-AC5300/dp/B071DPCKQ6/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1529905567&sr=1-

3&keywords=asus+rog+router&dpID=51BxFVHLBXL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Switches:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K4DS5KU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Cat7 Cables:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GK6KCS8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?smid=A2FI1E57JSSMJ2&psc=1

I know this is overkill by a ton for my personal Business, Don't care about that. I want to know if my idea will work.

I want the Modem connected to the Router Obviously, then 2 lines from the router running to major areas of my place. Both of these will be connected to a Managed Switch. Then from each Managed Switch the devices in the local area of each managed switch will be connected. 

1)  Will I be able to still control both managed switches, and configure the traffic priority properly?

2)  Will everything work without an issue assuming proper setup.

3) Would I have to configure the QOS on both switches, or Just the Router?

4) Should I be using Unmanaged Switches Instead, and using the Routers QOS?
            In which case I would be using this Switch:
            https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A121WN6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1

Thanks for your help!

3 minutes ago, RobFRaschke said:

How many client connected devices?

Essential It is 2 People on this network. Not including Random Wifi Use. I am on one end of the place, and the other person is on the other. We both have PC's that need Ethernet, and both have a rendering box that needs ethernet, plus some misc things near like smart TV's and Video Game Consoles. If something has Ethernet Capabilities I plan to connect it via that. Also running a Plex server, and is connected to a NAS.

The two switches would be used so not so many cords are being strung such a long distance. But it is also important for QOS to work, so that if somebody is streaming and another decides to update an application. The application update doesn't over saturate the network preventing the stream.

41 minutes ago, Arcanum Luminarium said:

I know this is overkill by a ton for my personal Business

I wouldn't really call it overkill, it's more of a poor purchasing strategy.

To answer your questions:

1) sure, although I would only expect cos and not dscp from those switches

2) depends on your definition of without issue.  It should just work out of the box but issues might depend on other factors

3) depends what you're trying to do but there are separate layer 2 and layer 3 qos schemes.

4) if you don't need the features of a managed switch then /shrug.

Realistically what you purchased doesn't constitute a business network.  Usually you would consider something that can isolate network segments like vlan with appropriate filtering policies between segments. it looks like that router tanks pretty hard with adaptive qos enabled.  What kind of Internet connection speed are you pairing this with?

Also 'cat7' provides you zero benefit over cat5e for what you plan on doing.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

7 minutes ago, beersykins said:

I wouldn't really call it overkill, it's more of a poor purchasing strategy.

To answer your questions:

1) sure, although I would only expect cos and not dscp from those switches

2) depends on your definition of without issue.  It should just work out of the box but issues might depend on other factors

3) depends what you're trying to do but there are separate layer 2 and layer 3 qos schemes.

4) if you don't need the features of a managed switch then /shrug.

Realistically what you purchased doesn't constitute a business network.  Usually you would consider something that can isolate network segments like vlan with appropriate filtering policies between segments. it looks like that router tanks pretty hard with adaptive qos enabled.  What kind of Internet connection speed are you pairing this with?

Also 'cat7' provides you zero benefit over cat5e for what you plan on doing.

I used the words personal business cause we earn money either streaming or uploading video. Also I am running these cables thru the walls so installing future resistant cables is the goal. (again besides the point). Tthis should help clarify my use. 

26 minutes ago, Arcanum Luminarium said:

Essential It is 2 People on this network. Not including Random Wifi Use. I am on one end of the place, and the other person is on the other. We both have PC's that need Ethernet, and both have a rendering box that needs ethernet, plus some misc things near like smart TV's and Video Game Consoles. If something has Ethernet Capabilities I plan to connect it via that. Also running a Plex server, and is connected to a NAS.

The two switches would be used so not so many cords are being strung such a long distance. But it is also important for QOS to work, so that if somebody is streaming and another decides to update an application. The application update doesn't over saturate the network preventing the stream.

5 minutes ago, Arcanum Luminarium said:

I used the words personal business cause we earn money either streaming or uploading video

That's cool and all but it seems more like you're using that as a phrase to justify an overpriced purchase that doesn't offer you any real 'business' features.

5 minutes ago, Arcanum Luminarium said:

(again besides the point)

Just trying to help you, although there's little point in asking for help and then indicating received help is besides the point.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

14 minutes ago, beersykins said:

That's cool and all but it seems more like you're using that as a phrase to justify an overpriced purchase that doesn't offer you any real 'business' features.

Just trying to help you, although there's little point in asking for help and then indicating received help is besides the point.

Its OK, sorry if I seemed punchy. The main point of the question is to make sure everything will work, and whether I should be using an Unmanaged or Managed Switch based on my use case. I am new to Networking beyond a basic modem + router config. Thanks

17 hours ago, Arcanum Luminarium said:

Its OK, sorry if I seemed punchy. The main point of the question is to make sure everything will work, and whether I should be using an Unmanaged or Managed Switch based on my use case. I am new to Networking beyond a basic modem + router config. Thanks

Looks fine to me, but I'd personally go with a router that can run AdvancedTomato firmware, or any other kind of OpenWRT firmware, as you'll have much more control over the network. That being said, ASUS does use a custom MerlinWRT firmware, so they're the best consumer router manufacturer if you plan on staying stock.

I'd go with unmanaged switches and let the router handle QoS configuration, since there's really no point to managed switches for the type of setup you're describing, unless you simply want them to have so you can learn about VLANs and other goodies that managed switches can do.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)