Overview of World of tanks

Erik4boss
wot_logo_metal_wite_bg.png

What is World of tanks?

World of tanks is a Multiplayer Action strategy game. The game is being developed by Wargaming, a Belarusian game company. Wargaming has created two big free to play games, World of tanks and World of warplanes. They are currently working on World of warships and there is a lot of excitement about it. Ok lets get back on the World of tanks subject.  World of tanks is a free to play games offering in game purchases such as the

Premium account.

The premium account gives the user 50% more exp and credits. The annual price is 81€

Gold

Gold can be spent in a lot of situaltions of the game, everything from buying premium account to buying in game credits that you can earn by playing.

Credits

The credit system is the in-game currency that you get without paying a single dime. This should be enough for you to enjoy the game and no invest is needed to play for fun. You can always buy credits with gold

Premium tanks

The Premium tanks can be bought using gold and sometimes in the giftshop on world of tanks website. These machines earns 50% more exp and credits but are worse than normal tanks.

Consumables

Consumables are very handy once you get up in the tiers, they could sometimes save your life, and sometimes they can be a real pain when you waste credits or gold for them. The price of a cheap consumables is 3k, and it is 10k for the "premium" consumables.

Crew upgrades

When buying a new tank, there are three types of crews to choose from. The 100% The 75% and the 50% training crews. These come on different prices, as the 50% crew is free of charge, the 75% crew is often about 80k and the 100% often costs around 1000 gold. The crew can be deadly important in battle, that is why I recommend you always buy 75% crews or over once you reach tier 5. The better training of the crew, the better they will perform in battle. Lets take the loader for example on my KV2. When I bough the tank the reload speed per shot was 25 seconds. Just by playing it my crew skill has gone up and it is 92%. My reload speed is not 22-23 seconds. This may not sound like a lot to you but it really is.

Once you reach 100% (should be able to do that in 200 battles with the tank) you can train the crew skills. There are both perk skills and skills that work directly. A good example of a skill that works directly is "mentor". This skill is on the commander and lets everyone in the tank level up their skills faster. There are also skills that everybody needs to know to 100% before they work, a example for this is brother in arms that makes everything 2.5% better.

Free exp

When you play a battle, you get credits and experience for what you do. So the better you perform the more you get. You can also get free exp on premium tanks and tanks that are "elite". A elite tanks is when it has everything unlocked on it and the next tank in the tech tree is unlocked. When your tank is elite you can choose "accelerated crew training" or you can save up free exp with it. The free exp is stored and can be converted with gold to real free exp that can be used on other tanks. For every one gold, you can get 25 free exp so the rates are pretty bad.

What nations can I play?

Currently there are 6 nations in the game. But the developers are currently working on a tech tree for Japan. The nations in the game are:

USSR

The second biggest tech tree in the game, often filled with noobs because the tanks are easy to play and have big guns early on. This tech tree is considered op by many.

Britain

Britain is a middle size tech tree and comes at 3 place. Many tanks in this line are considered bad.

USA

The third biggest tech tree, most tanks has got very bad hull armor but awesome turret armor.

China

The smallest tech tree in the game with only 1 line branching out to three lines later that after that becomes two lines. All tanks in the chine tech tree has bad gun depression.

Germany

The biggest tech tree and hard to play. Often set on fire in the lower plate.

France

The second smallest tech tree. Most tanks has almost no armor and most of the tanks in this tech tree are under powered.

Forgot about the japanese tanks, won't go into detail of them since they are basicly Chinese tanks with less armor but with gun depression.

Are there any possibilities for clans or just group of friends that want to play?

Yes there is! Wargaming has got a pretty good clan system, not the best but not bad either. On their homepage you have the ability to click on "Clan wars" where your clan can battle around the globe for different towns and stuff, For example if you win yellowstone national park, your clan will be earning 1200 gold per 24 hours. The clan leaders can split this money up to the ones that contributes. If you want to create your own clan, you will have to buy it for 2500 gold on their website.

If you just want to play with your friends, there are two modes. You can play in a platoon that allows up to three members to play together. You invite your friends to join your platoon, they accept it and they pick a tank and press ready. Then you as the leader presses "battle" and your platoon will get matched together.

You can also create a tank company, a tank company creates a new match that people will have to join in a queue and you put them in a team and you can play 1 vs 1 for example or you could play 15 vs 15.

How long is a battle and how many players are there in one?

A battle can get up to 15 minutes, this will only happen if all people are not dead or the base has not been captured. This will create a draw. The usual time of a battle though is 5 minutes in lower tiers and sometimes 10 minutes when you get up into the high tiers. In a battle there are 30 people, 15 on each team. But wargaming is soon to release a new gamemode that allows you to play 7 vs 7

How many tiers are there in the game and how do I reach them?

In the game there are 10 tiers. You start of at tier 1 and get your first tank, you play with this tank to reach a certain amount of experience needed to unlock the next tank that you buy and play with until you get the next and it goes on like this. Once you reach tier 10 you can't get any further so sometimes these are quite boring to play since it is much more fun to play when you are  grinding* for something. 

(* Grinding is when you play a tank to get the exp to reach the next tank.)

Does wargaming offer any promotions or deals?

Yes, almost every weekend there is a bonus in something, it could be everything from  more exp for first win of the day in the tank. To discount on premium tanks and extra income and discounts on some tanks. Wargaming also offers stuff in the giftshop. A shop where you buy stuff for your currency in your country and with a small discount instead of buying it with gold. You can also buy this for a friend.

How do I get to play this game?

It is very easy, you go to world of tanks homepage for your region.

Press on the download and it will download the world of tanks downloader. This will download the file for world of tanks that is about six gigabytes packed together. When your game is installed it should be around ten gigabytes.

The game is also possible to get for xbox 360,

"If violence does not work, try more violence"

This isn't a review. This is an overview which is probably on their website somewhere

I wrote this myself.

I smell post farming...

Sniff as much as you want, there is none.

I wrote this myself.

Sniff as much as you want, there is none.

It seems like something the game dev's or a strategy guide would write to me

Maybe he's just a passionate player who wants to grow the community of players for the game?

Either way this post is in my opinion an essential read for anyone wanting to play this game, was an awesome post.

Search as much as you want to find this. You will only find this written by "Erik4boss"

Maybe he's just a passionate player who wants to grow the community of players for the game?

Either way this post is in my opinion an essential read for anyone wanting to play this game, was an awesome post.

Thank you.

As I play plenty of WoT, I can say this "overview" is quite biased. No, plenty Soviet tanks are not OP, French tanks UP? Sure. French have some of the best tanks. Like foch 155(which WG plans to nerf), Batchat, 50 100, 13 90, two last mentioned used very often in ESL...

Most OP tanks imho are obj 268 and T57 heavy, 

Average battle time on server between all tank levels is 6 minutes. 

7vs7 mode is already released and there are lot of problems with it, for example the tank level is analysed client-side, which causes cheating.

"The clan leaders can split this money up to the ones that contributes." Only in the most honest clans, mostly clan leaders divide the gold among themselves.

As I play plenty of WoT, I can say this "overview" is quite biased. No, plenty Soviet tanks are not OP, French tanks UP? Sure. French have some of the best tanks. Like foch 155(which WG plans to nerf), Batchat, 50 100, 13 90, two last mentioned used very often in ESL...

Most OP tanks imho are obj 268 and T57 heavy, 

Average battle time on server between all tank levels is 6 minutes. 

7vs7 mode is already released and there are lot of problems with it, for example the tank level is analysed client-side, which causes cheating.

"The clan leaders can split this money up to the ones that contributes." Only in the most honest clans, mostly clan leaders divide the gold among themselves.

Sure. So the BDR G1B is good compared to KV-1? Ok french arty is probably the best and AMX 50 100, AMX 50 120, AMX 50B, Batchat 25 t, AMX 13 90 I can say these tanks are good. But the rest in my opinion is pretty shit. I've played all heavy tanks in the french line on test server and I'm at the ARL 44 on the normal server. And I must say, KV-1S is a better tank.