Do I need to get a new PSU for a 2400G system?

Wetpig

I have been saving money for a new PC ever since I was 16 (18 now) I have enough + some help from my parents to get a decent gaming system. But I would just feel scammed by the prices right now. Also as I grew I started to play fewer games, I basically don't play any right now and If I do they are old and even my GT 730 (which a friend gave to me) is enough for them.

I'm with an old Core 2 Duo 6750 so this would be an astronomical leap, I'm most excited about being able to just run multiple applications without having to wait 2 min for something to happen.

Enough blabbing. I have an old (Fortron?, FPS group PSU) from about 10 years ago. My father told me it used to be a decent PSU, but to me, it looks kinda shady. The thing is that I don't really want to shill any more money. I know the PSU is really important, but for such a low powered system should I do it?

Also how much would a system with a 2400G usually require to function?

And also I do plan to add a discrete GPU sometime down the line. Should I spend more now to get a 500-50W PSU now or can it wait, and if yes which PSU's are the best?

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600  /  Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk  /  GPU: PowerColor RED DEVIL RX480 / GT 730 [retired]  /  RAM: 16GB 3000Mhz Teamgroup T-Force Vulcan  /  PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold Plus 550W  /  HDD: 3TB Toshiba P300 + 320GB Seagate / Case: Phanteks P400A  / Sentimental value 2006 case [retired]..... Monitor: AOC 24G2U 144Hz

3 minutes ago, Wetpig said:

Snip

I wouldn't use it due to age.  You don't need a powerful PSU for a 2200G.  450 would be plenty.  Corsair and EVGA make good stuff if you are looking for a new one.

1 minute ago, TheGlenlivet said:

I wouldn't use it due to age.  You don't need a powerful PSU for a 2200G.  450 would be plenty.  Corsair and EVGA make good stuff if you are looking for a new one.

What he said. PSU parts wear out. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/FdRFf7/corsair-cx-2017-550w-80-bronze-certified-atx-power-supply-cp-9020121-na

Something like that is all you need.

5 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Yup, no matter how good it was, due to it's age I wouldn't use it. You can check how good it is by measuring the voltage while it is under load, if the 12v falls under 11.85v consider it useless, however, it should keep at around 12v at all times.

Any branded 450W PSU is more than enough for a 2200G.

56 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Corsair and EVGA make good stuff if you are looking for a new one.

Neither make any PSUs. They have OEMs doing it for them. 

Corsair has the grey CX/M and Vengeance, for the budget units, but which EVGA 450W PSUs are not crap?

:)

2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Neither make any PSUs. They have OEMs doing it for them. 

Corsair has the grey CX/M and Vengeance, for the budget units, but which EVGA 450W PSUs are not crap?

So EVGA ones are bad? I really don't understand which OEM's are good FPS, HEC....

For my system what power supply should I get (voltage wise)

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600  /  Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk  /  GPU: PowerColor RED DEVIL RX480 / GT 730 [retired]  /  RAM: 16GB 3000Mhz Teamgroup T-Force Vulcan  /  PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold Plus 550W  /  HDD: 3TB Toshiba P300 + 320GB Seagate / Case: Phanteks P400A  / Sentimental value 2006 case [retired]..... Monitor: AOC 24G2U 144Hz

53 minutes ago, Bogica said:

Yup, no matter how good it was, due to it's age I wouldn't use it. You can check how good it is by measuring the voltage while it is under load, if the 12v falls under 11.85v consider it useless, however, it should keep at around 12v at all times.

Any branded 450W PSU is more than enough for a 2200G.

The software readings are useless for that. He'd have to get out a multimeter. Also, the voltage isn't that big of a concern, as long as the voltage stays constant. And the big killer is ripple, whish you have to get an oscilloscope to measure. That's what really kills stuff. 

There are plenty of branded crappy 450W PSUs. EVGA has the B1, B3, Corsair has the VS etc. 

4 minutes ago, Wetpig said:

So EVGA ones are bad? I really don't understand which OEM's are good FPS, HEC....

For my system what power supply should I get (voltage wise)

All OEMs can make crappy and good PSUs, and that's what they do. Buy by product, not by brand. 

EVGA branded PSUs tend to be loud, and they have lots of crappy ones. Many of their PSUs perform well, and are good PSUs. 

All ATX PSUs supply the same 3,3V, 5V, 12V and -12V. For wattage, you will draw well under 200W, so just get a decent PSU. The cheapest PSUs that aren't crap are usually the CX450/M, Pure Power 10 400W and Vengeance 400W. For a bit more, there's often the Formula Gold 450W, and Focus Gold 450W. 

Edited by seon123
Something something

4 minutes ago, seon123 said:

here are plenty of branded crappy 450W PSUs. EVGA has the B1, B3, Corsair has the VS etc. 

Who actually makes the PSU was out of the scope of the original conversation, at least I thought.  For a 2200G and no GPU a VS or B1 will be fine.  I know they aren't 10 year warranty top of the line units, but they're better than the 10 year old unit the OP was considering.

8 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Who actually makes the PSU was out of the scope of the original conversation, at least I thought.  For a 2200G and no GPU a VS or B1 will be fine.  I know they aren't 10 year warranty top of the line units, but they're better than the 10 year old unit the OP was considering.

If he spends a little more for a CX450M, for example, he can use it for way longer, and with actually decent upgrades, though. The lowest end units don't really make much sense. 

59 minutes ago, seon123 said:

The software readings are useless for that. He'd have to get out a multimeter. Also, the voltage isn't that big of a concern, as long as the voltage stays constant. And the big killer is ripple, whish you have to get an oscilloscope to measure. That's what really kills stuff. 

There are plenty of branded crappy 450W PSUs. EVGA has the B1, B3, Corsair has the VS etc. 

At which point did I say that he should read the software readings? I said he should check it by MEASURING which indicates that I meant he should use a multimeter, it's standard equipment for any household, even cheap chinese ones are capable of reliably measuring low voltage DC. While I do have one, I'm guessing Oscilloscopes aren't that common outside of workshops? But, I agree on the ripple part, however, one of the first indicators of possible failure is voltage dropping under load. However, I don't know which brand that is, I have never even heard of them, so I'm not sure if they are reliable or not.