Should I sell my 7th gen pc & rebuild OR upgrade my current one?

So I built my pc about 9 months ago mainly for work with the idea of keeping room for upgrades. I upgraded with a GPU about 1 month ago, a 6gb GTX 1060. Initially I was using it for a light work load, mostly web & office docs. Now I do some light gaming on it - nothing too heavy.

I've gotten the modding bug and I am just obsessed with keeping up with hardware trends, and having the best. I want to build a new PC - but when it came down to it, I thought "Do I really even NEED a new pc?"

Budget is not really a concern, although I don't want to spend a huge amount of money if I don't have to. It comes down to the fact that I figure the pc I currently have is actually not a bad build by anyone's standards. Maybe it can be upgraded?

Here's what I currently have:

PCPartPicker part list

CPU: Intel - Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core OEM/Tray Processor  ($228.44 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: Enermax - ETS-N30R-HE 55.4 CFM CPU Cooler  ($24.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME Z270-K ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($168.30 @ Newegg Marketplace) 
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($89.18 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($56.59 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Dual Video Card  ($329.79 @ OutletPC) 
Case: Thermaltake - Versa N21 Snow ATX Mid Tower Case  ($51.46 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Thermaltake - Smart 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($35.39 @ SuperBiiz) 
Optical Drive: LG - GH24NSC0B DVD/CD Writer  ($16.19 @ OutletPC) 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($99.89 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $1100.22

I am running on two 27" Acer HA270 screens, an additional $320 combined. There are also about $30 worth of Corsair 120mm LED fans.

So I put the rig up for sale for $800 - +$100 for windows + $250 for both screens. I actually got some hits, and one commitment to buy the whole set up for $1150 if I hold it for him for another week. I said sure - and took the ads down.

I think my price was fair - about $300 less than what I paid for everything, and it's practically new - in mint condition. And if the buyer doesn't follow through then I can keep it or relist it.

BUT - what would I upgrade to? I'd be happier with a mobo with bluetooth and wifi - but nothing an adapter can't fix. Do I need to get the i7-8700k or i7-8086k? Is it even worth going down the i9x & x299 route? Just for more cores and threads when mine is faster speed-wise? I don't think I absolutely need more cores & threads, do I?

Aesthetically I would like a new case for sure the phanteks p400s tge or evolv x when it comes out in August, and better gaming monitors. I would like to have my hand at water cooling. Is it silly to do all that and spend another $2500 when the only thing that would be better / faster would be a 1080ti GPU and the newer gaming monitors to hopefully game at 4k. 

I don't know - what would you do? If you weren't rich but you had the money? Would you sell and rebuild or just upgrade? My fear is that I do it and then it becomes obsolete by next year. The upgrade option includes upgrading and waiting for the next gen of nvidia gpu's and intel cpus but who knows when that will even be?

What would you rebuild or upgrade to? 

Share your thoughts and if you want to post a full build then keep it about $2,500 or less and make sure 2 or 3 quality monitors are included.

pc side dark.jpg

pc side.jpg

CPU: Intel i5-9600k | MoBo: Gigabyte Aorus Elite z390 | RAM: 16gb (4 x 4gb) Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2400

GPU: Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme 1080ti | Storage: 500gb Samsung 860 vNand SSD x2 & 1tb WD Caviar Blue HDD

Chassis: NZXT h700i White w/ RGB LED | Cooling: Corsair H100i Pro RGB AIO & 6x Corsair AF120 fans White LED

Screens: 2x 27" Acer HA270 Ultra Slim LED | Peripherals: MSI Interceptor RGB DS4200 Key & D200 Mouse

<sarcasm>

The 7th gen system is useless now that the 8th gen is out. Just ship that whole system to me for disposal and start over.

</sarcasm>

14 minutes ago, hazeyez said:

So I built my pc about 9 months ago mainly for work with the idea of keeping room for upgrades. I upgraded with a GPU about 1 month ago, a 6gb GTX 1060. Initially I was using it for a light work load, mostly web & office docs. Now I do some light gaming on it - nothing too heavy.

I've gotten the modding bug and I am just obsessed with keeping up with hardware trends, and having the best. I want to build a new PC - but when it came down to it, I thought "Do I really even NEED a new pc?"

Budget is not really a concern, although I don't want to spend a huge amount of money if I don't have to. It comes down to the fact that I figure the pc I currently have is actually not a bad build by anyone's standards. Maybe it can be upgraded?

Here's what I currently have:

I am running on two 27" Acer HA270 screens, an additional $320 combined. There are also about $30 worth of Corsair 120mm LED fans.

So I put the rig up for sale for $800 - +$100 for windows + $250 for both screens. I actually got some hits, and one commitment to buy the whole set up for $1150 if I hold it for him for another week. I said sure - and took the ads down.

I think my price was fair - about $300 less than what I paid for everything, and it's practically new - in mint condition. And if the buyer doesn't follow through then I can keep it or relist it.

BUT - what would I upgrade to? I'd be happier with a mobo with bluetooth and wifi - but nothing an adapter can't fix. Do I need to get the i7-8700k or i7-8086k? Is it even worth going down the i9x & x299 route? Just for more cores and threads when mine is faster speed-wise? I don't think I absolutely need more cores & threads, do I?

Aesthetically I would like a new case for sure the phanteks p400s tge or evolv x when it comes out in August, and better gaming monitors. I would like to have my hand at water cooling. Is it silly to do all that and spend another $2500 when the only thing that would be better / faster would be a 1080ti GPU and the newer gaming monitors to hopefully game at 4k. 

I don't know - what would you do? If you weren't rich but you had the money? Would you sell and rebuild or just upgrade? My fear is that I do it and then it becomes obsolete by next year. The upgrade option includes upgrading and waiting for the next gen of nvidia gpu's and intel cpus but who knows when that will even be?

What would you rebuild or upgrade to? 

Share your thoughts and if you want to post a full build then keep it about $2,500 or less and make sure 2 or 3 quality monitors are included.

pc side dark.jpg

pc side.jpg

The system is awesome and would work fine for anyone who wants to play games and do editing. Why waste time in unuseful things?

Main system (Mini itx 80mm)

i5-7500 | Asrock h110m | Noctua L9i | Realan H80 Case | 8GB 2400 Ram ADATA | M600 SSD | 500 GB Seagate

Other System (Laptop)

i7 3632QM | Toshiba | 8GB Corsair VS RAM | Sandisk SSD PLUS | 500GB Toshiba HDD

Ok, sorry, I'll be serious now. There's a lot you can do with that current system if you have the "modding bug." Throw a bitchin watercooling set-up at it. Add some RGB-ness etc.

@RobFRaschke & @rukspuks

So what would you guys upgrade the current rig with to make it cooler / better? 

Anyone else?

CPU: Intel i5-9600k | MoBo: Gigabyte Aorus Elite z390 | RAM: 16gb (4 x 4gb) Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2400

GPU: Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme 1080ti | Storage: 500gb Samsung 860 vNand SSD x2 & 1tb WD Caviar Blue HDD

Chassis: NZXT h700i White w/ RGB LED | Cooling: Corsair H100i Pro RGB AIO & 6x Corsair AF120 fans White LED

Screens: 2x 27" Acer HA270 Ultra Slim LED | Peripherals: MSI Interceptor RGB DS4200 Key & D200 Mouse

11 minutes ago, hazeyez said:

@RobFRaschke & @rukspuks

So what would you guys upgrade the current rig with to make it cooler / better? 

Anyone else?

12 minutes ago, RobFRaschke said:

Ok, sorry, I'll be serious now. There's a lot you can do with that current system if you have the "modding bug." Throw a bitchin watercooling set-up at it. Add some RGB-ness etc.

22 minutes ago, Nizo_GTO said:

Here are a few builds I would suggest at different price points:

$1,500 (Intel): https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sn4ZQZ

$1,500 (AMD): https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ttFmLJ

$2.500 (Intel): https://pcpartpicker.com/list/R77sKB

$2,500 (AMD): https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8zrqdX

@Nizo_GTO I appreciate your input but that $2500 Intel build is improperly done in my opinion. 

You have a $900 CPU and a $700 GPU paired with a 550w PSU, the cheapest RAM possible and only 16gb at that. It will work I suppose but I think $2500 could be utilized better and I don't need 10 cores and 20 threads for $900 ya know? 

45 minutes ago, RobFRaschke said:

Yeah I don't think RGB would be much of an upgrade... LOL I def want to try my hand at building a custom loop but what else? Not sure it's worth it on this rig unless I'm going to OC or do something crazy with it.

If you're not going to overclock, and you don't want to make visual upgrades, what are you wanting to accomplish?

2 hours ago, RobFRaschke said:

If you're not going to overclock, and you don't want to make visual upgrades, what are you wanting to accomplish?

@RobFRaschke I wouldn't mind trying to OC, didn't say I was opposed to it.. especially considering the CPU that I have - I think it's pretty damn good all things considered, no? From what I gather, I don't need more cores or threads for gaming, do I?

Here's what I'm thinking if I go down the upgrade route:

1) (Chassis)  Phanteks Eclipse P400S Tempered Glass [OR I really like the new NZXT H500i that released June 15th]

2) (RAM)      +16gb DDR4 RAM [I can add this to my second channel and keep the 2x4gb that are in the first channel, right?]

3) (PSU)       Corsair 650w Fully Modular w/ braided cables [I don't think a new PSU is 100% necessary but it wouldn't hurt to have a better one to carry over to my next build]

4) (Cables)   Cable Mod full cable kit and maybe some LED's

5) (Cooling)  360mm Rad w/ custom loop OR - do I simply get an AIO and try to add some combination of air flow w/ it?

6) (Storage)  m.2 NVMe 120gb - 256gb SSD for boot, 500gb - 1tb SATA SSD for storage

What do you think? If I were to upgrade the MoBo or GPU then I'm just going to do a completely new build.