Intel 4790k vs 8700K

On 18/6/2018 at 4:01 AM, Snipergod87 said:

and a complete re-install of Windows

With previous generations of windows (and intel hardware) i managed to pull a complete motherboard + cpu swap without reinstalling.

Is that no more the case?

On 6/27/2018 at 5:04 AM, Col. Sandurz said:

With previous generations of windows (and intel hardware) i managed to pull a complete motherboard + cpu swap without reinstalling.

Is that no more the case?

I reinstalled since I'm switching the boot drive from the Hyperx m.2 to the EvO 970

On 6/26/2018 at 10:42 PM, r34lj4k3 said:

This will be fine, but the bottleneck is the rate the TIM under the IHS can transfer heat to the cooling solution, not your cooler itself. I thought you should know, in case the numbers you're seeing aren't what you expected, it's not your cooler's fault.

I leave the pump on performance and the fans on silent. 

Well i posted on another thread but now I'm playing rainbow6, path of exile and any game that it croses my vision at 165hz 1440p with a 1070 and a 4790k @ 4,6 , allways gpu at 99-98% (cooler nhd15)

IMG-20180623-WA0015.jpg

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 11:30 PM, O9B0666 said:

No you don't. 

Reveal hidden contents

A Storage drive with an activated copy of Windows 10 cant be switched from one completely different build and put in another without needing a new activation code

30 minutes ago, SomeTeenThatLovesComputers said:

A Storage drive with an activated copy of Windows 10 cant be switched from one completely different build and put in another without needing a new activation code

Yes it can I've done it before several times. 

Firestrike 
i7-8700k @5.0GHz w/ 1.30v, Corsair h100iv2, Gigabye Aorus gaming 7, 16GB(8x2) 2666MHz ddr4, Dual RX470's OC'd to 1390mhz(atm) in corssfire - liguid cooled with corsair h60's, 3.25 TB in Samsung SSD's, anidees white crystal cube case 

Retired:
i5-4440k @3.2GHz, gigabyte ga-z87x-ud5h z87, 24GB DDR3, 3x1TB Seagate Baracuda HDD.

5 minutes ago, O9B0666 said:

Yes it can I've done it before several times. 

How long ago? Because currently Microsoft only allows one Activation code per computer. Change your build drastically (a new mobo and processor) and Windows identifies it as a new computer and requires you to purchase a new code. I know they used to allow it. But now in an effort to make more money and prevent people from using it for multiple builds to sell, they have enacted the 1 code per computer rule.

35 minutes ago, SomeTeenThatLovesComputers said:

How long ago? Because currently Microsoft only allows one Activation code per computer. Change your build drastically (a new mobo and processor) and Windows identifies it as a new computer and requires you to purchase a new code. I know they used to allow it. But now in an effort to make more money and prevent people from using it for multiple builds to sell, they have enacted the 1 code per computer rule.

No sir I switched from a dell board to a z97 gigabyte board two years ago kept the i5-4440. Windows worked fine. This past may took my gaming 7 mobo 8700k new ram and plugged in hdd and windows fired up fine. Of coarse I did reinstall shortly after. Also what do you think Linus or gamers nexus does for their test benches? They build a new build hoping for it to post and bam windows with games and benchmarks set to go. Ideally it's not great but it works. 

Firestrike 
i7-8700k @5.0GHz w/ 1.30v, Corsair h100iv2, Gigabye Aorus gaming 7, 16GB(8x2) 2666MHz ddr4, Dual RX470's OC'd to 1390mhz(atm) in corssfire - liguid cooled with corsair h60's, 3.25 TB in Samsung SSD's, anidees white crystal cube case 

Retired:
i5-4440k @3.2GHz, gigabyte ga-z87x-ud5h z87, 24GB DDR3, 3x1TB Seagate Baracuda HDD.

3 hours ago, O9B0666 said:

No sir I switched from a dell board to a z97 gigabyte board two years ago kept the i5-4440. Windows worked fine. This past may took my gaming 7 mobo 8700k new ram and plugged in hdd and windows fired up fine. Of coarse I did reinstall shortly after. Also what do you think Linus or gamers nexus does for their test benches? They build a new build hoping for it to post and bam windows with games and benchmarks set to go. Ideally it's not great but it works. 

….what? When you plug in an OS from a completely different mobo and processor you are attempting to plug in an already registered (to a different system) Windows 10 copy. The activation code you receive with the Windows 10 flash drive is one use only. You cannot use it again. You will get the "Activate Windows" transparent Pop-up in the bottom right corner. You will have to purchase a new code ($120). You can use the flash drive to install Windows 10 again, yes, but you'll have to get a new code. Either you are using an older version of Windows and not going online with it or you don't understand what im trying to say. I don't know how to explain it better without making a video. 

30 minutes ago, SomeTeenThatLovesComputers said:

….what? When you plug in an OS from a completely different mobo and processor you are attempting to plug in an already registered (to a different system) Windows 10 copy. The activation code you receive with the Windows 10 flash drive is one use only. You cannot use it again. You will get the "Activate Windows" transparent Pop-up in the bottom right corner. You will have to purchase a new code ($120). You can use the flash drive to install Windows 10 again, yes, but you'll have to get a new code. Either you are using an older version of Windows and not going online with it or you don't understand what im trying to say. I don't know how to explain it better without making a video. 

I understand you maybe it's a older version but I do not have to reinstall. I'll pop my wife's hdd and swap w mine tomorrow and show you in a video 

Firestrike 

Retired:

On 6/25/2018 at 1:37 PM, Holmes2468 said:

Would $65usd be worth having them to remove the OEM thermal paste and install a better product if I don't plan on overclocking?

yes intel paste suck, even without oc it will get warm with medium load after a year

On 7/7/2018 at 11:31 PM, SomeTeenThatLovesComputers said:

you swap the board go under setting, activation click the blue text, swapped motherboard, done, you need a Microsoft account linked, but do unistall all conflicting driver software first, windows will do it in its own but some times it fails, like it you use uxtheme

CPU Name: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor @4.25

Motherboard: Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING

RAM: G.Skill Flare X @3200Mhz 14-14-14-34-48-1 (tCAS-tRC-tRP-tRAS-tCS-tCR)

On 7/7/2018 at 6:59 PM, SomeTeenThatLovesComputers said:

I did exactly that 2 weeks ago and I had zero problems

On 7/7/2018 at 10:05 PM, O9B0666 said:

Op don't listen to this guy here's proof theirs gains he said 0fps here's proof. Go to YouTube and search too many bozos here. 

Do you know what your talking about? Here's just one clip showing the 8700k gets more fps I can find way more... Quit feeding bs info man. 

$600 of better though? For that money you can buy a 1080ti and get better FPS anyway :P. Anyway, OP already got the chip. I wouldn't do it personally but whatever 

That's an F in the profile pic

On 8/7/2018 at 10:13 AM, spider623 said:

you swap the board go under setting, activation click the blue text, swapped motherboard, done, you need a Microsoft account linked, but do unistall all conflicting driver software first, windows will do it in its own but some times it fails, like it you use uxtheme

I think retail and OEM versions of W10 behave differently.

AFAIK OEM needs the account to allow the swap, while retail does not.

I may be wrong though.

1 hour ago, Col. Sandurz said:

I may be wrong though.

well i guess Microsoft itself doesnt have any real guidelines how it works.

I have upgraded from a

i7 2600k

Asrock z68 extreme3

G.skill DDR3-1333

TO 

I7 8700k

Asus ROG Maximus X Formula

G.skill DDR4-3600

Had an expansive Retail Version of Win10 PRO, couldnt activate it. Made a Microsoft account on the old machine bound the OS to the Account, removed the old hardware info from the account and deactivated the key on the old machine, still couldnt activate it on the new rig. Called Microsoft Service Center they denied to activate. There is no rule its just completely random bullshit, sometimes your windows can be activated sometimes it cant. I googled the shit out of this topic. They SAY you can, but in reality... welp, 50/50.. 

Ive learned from that, i wont ever buy a windows key for Retail price again, just bought a key from a freaking china store for a windows 10 pro OEM after that for just 18€. Wont ever pay hundreds of euros just for a freaking windows that will or will not deny activation randomly. And tbh who is opening a Lawsuite for such small things? Im certain i could have but its not worth my time.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

7 hours ago, DarkSmith2 said:

well i guess Microsoft itself doesnt have any real guidelines how it works.

I have upgraded from a

i7 2600k

Asrock z68 extreme3

G.skill DDR3-1333

TO 

I7 8700k

Asus ROG Maximus X Formula

G.skill DDR4-3600

Had an expansive Retail Version of Win10 PRO, couldnt activate it. Made a Microsoft account on the old machine bound the OS to the Account, removed the old hardware info from the account and deactivated the key on the old machine, still couldnt activate it on the new rig. Called Microsoft Service Center they denied to activate. There is no rule its just completely random bullshit, sometimes your windows can be activated sometimes it cant. I googled the shit out of this topic. They SAY you can, but in reality... welp, 50/50.. 

Ive learned from that, i wont ever buy a windows key for Retail price again, just bought a key from a freaking china store for a windows 10 pro OEM after that for just 18€. Wont ever pay hundreds of euros just for a freaking windows that will or will not deny activation randomly. And tbh who is opening a Lawsuite for such small things? Im certain i could have but its not worth my time.

I pay for the USB retail win 10. It's easier to swap boards and upgrade drives with a retail version of Windows. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/7/2018 at 11:18 AM, Col. Sandurz said:

I may be wrong though.

I was wrong indeed.

On 9/7/2018 at 12:02 PM, DarkSmith2 said:

I had an expensive 8.1 retail version that i later upgraded to Win10

The motherboard died on me (i had no microsoft account) and had to upgrade to more recent hardware.

Now i find myself non activated. I still have to sort it out.

Roadmap:

1) Try to call Microsoft and see what they say

2) If i don't succeed buy an identical motherboard to see if i manage to at least create the account and help me migrate

3) If i don't succeed buy a cheap china OEM key.

We'll see.

On 3/9/2018 at 4:08 PM, Col. Sandurz said:

I was wrong indeed.

I was not.

Entering the product key again was enough to re-activate the lincense.