Which distro for old laptop?

So i know next to nothing about Linux hence why I'm posting here since i have no idea where to start.

I was cleaning out a few cupboards over the weekend and found my old Toshiba M780 tablet PC. i loved this thing when i got it, however it's a bit too old now and can't really run W10 these days (it came with W7 but it was my test machine before i moved my desktop over to W10). I'm wanting to give it a new lease on life as just a light usage machine, general internet browsing, media consumption etc. I don't need to use it as a server, it's more going to be a client to the rest of my network.

From memory it has 

i3 M 330

3 GB Ram

some shitty HDD which i may end up replacing with an SSD

which Linux distro would you recommend for such old hardware and for someone who has basically no experience with Linux

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Linux Mint or Lubuntu might be a good option.

Maybe something even more light, since it only has 3Gb of RAM...

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

I would start with Mint + Cinnamon or Puppy. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Lubuntu runs ok on just 2gb of ram.. remember lubuntu from a cold boot uses about 300mb.. 

She/Her

mint 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

While Mint with the whole Cinnamon layout is probably the easiest, Lubuntu is made to be lightweight so I'd aim for it first.

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

Xubuntu

Elemental 

Spoiler

Intel i5 6500 @3.8ghz - 8GB HyperX - 600w Apex PSU - GTX 1060 G1 GIGABYTE 6GB - s340 Black - 240gb Toshiba Q300 - Cooler master TX3i - MSI z170-A PRO.

Old Build (sold for 290€)

Spoiler

Intel i3 540 @ 3.9ghz (On stock cooler, Hits 80c max) - 8gb ram - 500w power supply - P7H55-M LE  120gb SSD - Talius Drakko case

Project Frug 50$ Water loop

Laptops

Spoiler

13" Macbook Air - Alienware m14x r2 -  2009 15" Macbook Pro (I was give all of these and would never buy them myself)

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

Lubuntu runs ok on just 2gb of ram.. remember lubuntu from a cold boot uses about 300mb.. 

Never personally used either one, so I was kind of guessing. I know Lubuntu was lightweight, I just didn't know by how much.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Never personally used either one, so I was kind of guessing. I know Lubuntu was lightweight, I just didn't know by how much.

yeah Lubuntu is crazy light. i've ran it on a netbook before and it was fine as long as you adjusted your expectations a little bit.. i mean that laptop was about half the speed of a decent pentium 4 cpu.. 

She/Her

I dont personally know much about Lubuntu but I have used Xubuntu on laptops with 1gb of ram no problem, Honestly whatever the OP prefers since they seem to be similar OS's

Elemental 

Spoiler

Intel i5 6500 @3.8ghz - 8GB HyperX - 600w Apex PSU - GTX 1060 G1 GIGABYTE 6GB - s340 Black - 240gb Toshiba Q300 - Cooler master TX3i - MSI z170-A PRO.

Old Build (sold for 290€)

Spoiler

Intel i3 540 @ 3.9ghz (On stock cooler, Hits 80c max) - 8gb ram - 500w power supply - P7H55-M LE  120gb SSD - Talius Drakko case

Project Frug 50$ Water loop

Laptops

Spoiler

13" Macbook Air - Alienware m14x r2 -  2009 15" Macbook Pro (I was give all of these and would never buy them myself)

10 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I would start with Mint + Cinnamon or Puppy. 

8 minutes ago, LtStaffel said:

While Mint with the whole Cinnamon layout is probably the easiest, Lubuntu is made to be lightweight so I'd aim for it first.

wait...what? Mint WITH Cinnamon? there's subdistro's within the existing distros? goddamn. im guessing it's just a direct download from here

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3457

instead of having to download them seperately and somehow merge them?

I might start with Mint and depending on how well it runs ill either keep it, or drop back to Lubuntu if it struggles

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

3 minutes ago, Sierra Fox said:

wait...what? Mint WITH Cinnamon? there's subdistro's within the existing distros? goddamn. im guessing it's just a direct download from here

https://linuxmint.com/download.php

Here's the page. 

image.png.036af19e9008432d3df72d11e3ae2ad5.png

Spoiler

I hope no one clicks on the picture thinking it's an actual download link. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

And yes, it's LINUX-CEPTION! 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

28 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Linux Mint or Lubuntu might be a good option.

There isn't much that is lighter than lubuntu unless you go for a pure window manager, either way 3gb are plenty for it.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

wait...what? Mint WITH Cinnamon? there's subdistro's within the existing distros?

Mint is the distro, Cinnamon is the desktop environment. Cinnamon is more windows-like than some of the others; it's easy to get used to if you're already comfortable with windows. Others options include Mate, Xfce, KDE etc.

Feel free to experiment. Linux is free after all. If an installation goes wrong or you just don't like the distro, you haven't lost any money if you decide to start again and try something else. As long as you have a backup of anything you want to keep before you start you're good to go.

45 minutes ago, Sierra Fox said:

So i know next to nothing about Linux hence why I'm posting here since i have no idea where to start.

I was cleaning out a few cupboards over the weekend and found my old Toshiba M780 tablet PC. i loved this thing when i got it, however it's a bit too old now and can't really run W10 these days (it came with W7 but it was my test machine before i moved my desktop over to W10). I'm wanting to give it a new lease on life as just a light usage machine, general internet browsing, media consumption etc. I don't need to use it as a server, it's more going to be a client to the rest of my network.

From memory it has 

i3 M 330

3 GB Ram

some shitty HDD which i may end up replacing with an SSD

which Linux distro would you recommend for such old hardware and for someone who has basically no experience with Linux

I have direct experience with this.

Bear this in mind: A lot of current distros really struggle with on-screen keyboards. Which is a real bitch when you turn on the tablet, try to run it in pure slate mode, and find the on-screen keyboard will not auto-load, so you can't log in to the machine. So you have to flip it back around, use the real keyboard to log in, then flip it back around into slate mode to use it.

There is a lot I love about linux, but there is a lot of work left to do on the small details like this.

I solved the issue with peppermint linux, but it wasn't my 1st choice of distros to run.

Of course you can have the system auto login for you, but it kinda bypasses part of the security that is linux.

Just something to be aware of

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

I have direct experience with this.

Bear this in mind: A lot of current distros really struggle with on-screen keyboards. Which is a real bitch when you turn on the tablet, try to run it in pure slate mode, and find the on-screen keyboard will not auto-load, so you can't log in to the machine. So you have to flip it back around, use the real keyboard to log in, then flip it back around into slate mode to use it.

oh, i wont use the "tablet" part of it, just as a laptop. It's a tablet in the way of pen input only, not touch :)

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

oh, i wont use the "tablet" part of it, just as a laptop. It's a tablet in the way of pen input only, not touch :)

Then feel free to ignore everything I said.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

2 hours ago, Sierra Fox said:

I might start with Mint and depending on how well it runs ill either keep it, or drop back to Lubuntu if it struggles

did I make a mistake? I thought cinnamon was a desktop environment that came by default on mint

Edit: No, I was right. Cinnamon is just a desktop environment that runs on Mint by default

See here:

Spoiler

78TVeip.png

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

5 minutes ago, LtStaffel said:

did I make a mistake? I thought cinnamon was a desktop environment that came by default on mint

Edit: No, I was right. Cinnamon is just a desktop environment that runs on Mint by default

yeah, it seems to just be a different version of mint, which i wasn't expecting, you can blame me for that haha.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 hour ago, BigGreenThing said:

Mint is the distro, Cinnamon is the desktop environment. Cinnamon is more windows-like than some of the others; it's easy to get used to if you're already comfortable with windows. Others options include Mate, Xfce, KDE etc.

Feel free to experiment. Linux is free after all. If an installation goes wrong or you just don't like the distro, you haven't lost any money if you decide to start again and try something else. As long as you have a backup of anything you want to keep before you start you're good to go.

I am a new Linux user. I have tried many distros with different desktop environments. It’s frustrating! Really. There are a lot of hyped up distros that just fall short on performance and polish (by that I mean aesthetics and bugs). Ubuntu Mate is just that. So far, Linux Mint Cinnamon 9.0 BETA is the only thing that cuts it. Although Ubuntu 18.04 isn’t so bad. I haven’t tried Manjaro or KDE Neon yet but I am just tired of reinstalling my OS. I just need something to run Firefox for crying out loud! 

And yet...Linux Mint Cinnamon just looks bad aesthetically. I don’t like the grey on grey theme with skinny task bars, small text and skinny window controls. It just makes using the thing harder than it needs to be. A more high contrast and “flat” aesthetic would go a long way.

I personally don’t like XFCE because it’s a text overload. The launch menu could be beautifully simple, but the folks making XFCE think otherwise: “MOAR TEXT!” they scream. Every single app icon is mirrored with a block of text vaguely describing something. It’s insulting! Everyone knows what the apps do if they’ve used them once or twice. And it drives me nuts because I am reading this useless text every time I use the launcher. Further, Mint XFCE used 900mb of RAM with no apps open (it’s the same story with all distros). And it seemed sluggish compared to Linux Mint Cinnamon (9.0 because 9.0 > 8.3), or even Windows 7. The other annoying thing about XFCE are the numerous vague customization apps that don’t seem to do anything. The panel app is the most infuriating because it just lacks a lot of functionality and you’re left with a blank panel and you can’t even drag your favourite apps onto it. 

I really just HATE XFCE for being a weird clunky mess. It’s built by Linux power users who use the terminal 90% of the time no doubt. 

On 6/18/2018 at 4:08 AM, Sauron said:

There isn't much that is lighter than lubuntu unless you go for a pure window manager, either way 3gb are plenty for it.

Actualy i have tried many linux distros including lubuntu on low end hardware and lubuntu still used more resources then for example arch with xfce. I know arch is hard to install but you can install Manjaro xfce and i think it will be close to arch + xfce. It will consume ~400 MB RAM, so 3 GB is plenty for that setup.

I myself use arch + i3-gaps and it's using 190 MB RAM on fresh start :D

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

On 6/21/2018 at 11:08 AM, mate_mate91 said:

Actualy i have tried many linux distros including lubuntu on low end hardware and lubuntu still used more resources then for example arch with xfce. I know arch is hard to install but you can install Manjaro xfce and i think it will be close to arch + xfce. It will consume ~400 MB RAM, so 3 GB is plenty for that setup.

I myself use arch + i3-gaps and it's using 190 MB RAM on fresh start :D

Arch with XFCE is only lighter if you ignore the many applets and background services you often need to actually use it. Of course you can custom tailor your Arch system depending on what the system will be used for, but if it's supposed to be used as a normal desktop the memory usage goes up pretty quickly.

I use i3-gaps too on my laptop, but with nm, mpd, telegram and a couple other services I need it easily eats about 650MB.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

You can also try Solus. Solus is also lightweight, looks good and you can actually use it without even opening the terminal. Spotify etc. they are all in their software center.