Can I connect any LED strip through a CM RGB Splitter Cable?

Go to solution Solved by W-L,
On 6/15/2018 at 10:47 PM, blackd51th said:
-SNIP-

The cooler master strips follow the standard 12V 4 pin RGB operation as per the header on the motherboard so you can use different brands of lights. I would recommend if you are cutting and wanting to wire up LED's yourself to grab a roll of RGB led's online and to do it yourself as it will be cheaper and more customizable. 

Hi Everyone,

I have a CM Mastercase 6 Pro and I want to change the front blue accent LED strip into an RGB one so that I can use Asus Aura control the colors. I'm also thinking of doing some interior case lighting as well. For this I'm getting a CM Universal RGB LED Strip (http://www.coolermaster.com/case/case-accessories/unive...) which I will be connecting to the Mobo RGB header using a CM 1to3 RGB Splitter cable(http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/cooling-rgb-accesso...).

As for the front LED strip, I need a LED strip that can be cut to size(12cm), aura compatible and I was wondering if I can connect LED strips from brands other than CM to the splitter cable and connect to the Mobo.

Any help is appreciated. :) 

On 6/15/2018 at 10:47 PM, blackd51th said:
-SNIP-

The cooler master strips follow the standard 12V 4 pin RGB operation as per the header on the motherboard so you can use different brands of lights. I would recommend if you are cutting and wanting to wire up LED's yourself to grab a roll of RGB led's online and to do it yourself as it will be cheaper and more customizable. 

On 6/17/2018 at 11:08 AM, W-L said:

Thanks W-L for the reply. I'm thinking of using the CableMod Widebeams for the front accent light. But can you recommend any off brand LED strips that are more cheaper?

4 hours ago, blackd51th said:

Thanks W-L for the reply. I'm thinking of using the CableMod Widebeams for the front accent light. But can you recommend any off brand LED strips that are more cheaper?

You can get ones like these just make sure you don’t put too many lights on the header to overload it.

https://www.amazon.com/SUPERNIGHT-Waterproof-300LEDs-Changing-Flexible/dp/B00DTOAWZ2?keywords=rgb+led+strip&qid=1529339000&sr=8-6&ref=mp_s_a_1_6

12 hours ago, W-L said:

You can get ones like these just make sure you don’t put too many lights on the header to overload it.

https://www.amazon.com/SUPERNIGHT-Waterproof-300LEDs-Changing-Flexible/dp/B00DTOAWZ2?keywords=rgb+led+strip&qid=1529339000&sr=8-6&ref=mp_s_a_1_6

Speaking of overloading, I'll be connecting the CM Universal RGB LED strip and the a LED strip that is 12 cm long(see my original post) to the only RGB header on my Mobo. I'm hoping that the load will be ok for the header??

Speaking of overloading, I'll be connecting the CM Universal RGB LED strip and the a LED strip that is 12 cm long(see my original post) to the only RGB header on my Mobo. I'm hoping that the load will be ok for the header??

You need to check the rate amperage of the header and how much power the LED strip will draw as it can vary. Most RGB headers are rated for 2 amps.

1 hour ago, W-L said:

You need to check the rate amperage of the header and how much power the LED strip will draw as it can vary. Most RGB headers are rated for 2 amps.

Well I'm going to use the CableMod Widebeam LED Strips but they have not mentioned how much power the strip will draw.

https://store.cablemod.com/product/cablemod-widebeam-magnetic-rgb-led-strip/

* The Aura RGB-strip header supports 5050 RGB LED strips with a max power rating of 3A (12V). For maximum brightness, strip length should not exceed 3m.

and that is what my motherboard specification page says.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-Z370-A/overview/

8 hours ago, blackd51th said:

Well I'm going to use the CableMod Widebeam LED Strips but they have not mentioned how much power the strip will draw.

https://store.cablemod.com/product/cablemod-widebeam-magnetic-rgb-led-strip/

* The Aura RGB-strip header supports 5050 RGB LED strips with a max power rating of 3A (12V). For maximum brightness, strip length should not exceed 3m.

and that is what my motherboard specification page says.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-Z370-A/overview/

A standard SMD5050 RGB LED chip draws around 0.24W, there are 30 chips in a 60cm LED strip so your total wattage would be:

30 chips X 0.24W = 7.2W. 

The header can output a total of 36W at 12V (3A) so more than enough for the density of LED's. @CableMod May not be a bad idea to add a note of the wattage of each LED strip. 

5 hours ago, W-L said:

A standard SMD5050 RGB LED chip draws around 0.24W, there are 30 chips in a 60cm LED strip so your total wattage would be:

30 chips X 0.24W = 7.2W. 

The header can output a total of 36W at 12V (3A) so more than enough for the density of LED's. @CableMod May not be a bad idea to add a note of the wattage of each LED strip. 

Good thinking @W-L! For the 60cm strips it is 0.542 amperage and 6.536 Kwh (half for the 30cm).

7 hours ago, W-L said:

30 chips X 0.24W = 7.2W. 

2 hours ago, CableMod said:

Good thinking @W-L! For the 60cm strips it is 0.542 amperage and 6.536 Kwh (half for the 30cm).

Thank you both for your replies. @W-L, I'll be only needing 12cm of LEDs for which I'll be buying the 30cm Widebeam LED strip. So I'm guessing my header will be sufficient for that.

On a different note, I'm planning on buying three Corsair LL 140 RGB fans with the Lighting Node Pro. I want to know if I need a Commander Pro with this or the Lighting Node Pro will be enough to control three fans. I don't need to control fan speeds and all. Just need the light show. :):) 

15 hours ago, blackd51th said:

Thank you both for your replies. @W-L, I'll be only needing 12cm of LEDs for which I'll be buying the 30cm Widebeam LED strip. So I'm guessing my header will be sufficient for that.

On a different note, I'm planning on buying three Corsair LL 140 RGB fans with the Lighting Node Pro. I want to know if I need a Commander Pro with this or the Lighting Node Pro will be enough to control three fans. I don't need to control fan speeds and all. Just need the light show. :):) 

The lighting node pro would be sufficient if you just want to control the lighting just note you cannot directly sync the Corsair ecosystem to the motherboard. Also the 3 packs of the LL fans comes with a lighting node pro and the RGB hub require to connect the fans to the lighting node pro. 

Image result for corsair LL fans 3 pack

8 hours ago, W-L said:

The lighting node pro would be sufficient if you just want to control the lighting just note you cannot directly sync the Corsair ecosystem to the motherboard. Also the 3 packs of the LL fans comes with a lighting node pro and the RGB hub require to connect the fans to the lighting node pro.

I noticed that the fans have two cables. One for the RGB hub and another 4-pin PWM cable. Do I need to connect the PWM cable to the Mobo or a fan controller in order for them to work or plugging the fans to the RGB hub is enough for them to work. I know it's a stupid question but all these cables are really confusing me. :D:D 

Thanks.

30 minutes ago, blackd51th said:

I noticed that the fans have two cables. One for the RGB hub and another 4-pin PWM cable. Do I need to connect the PWM cable to the Mobo or a fan controller in order for them to work or plugging the fans to the RGB hub is enough for them to work. I know it's a stupid question but all these cables are really confusing me. :D:D 

Thanks.

Yes both wires need to be plugged in the 4 pin PWM goes to either the motherboard or a fan controller of your choice.

Great. So any 4 pin header named 'fan' (or something along that line)on my mobo, I can plug these in right? Because I see six headers on my mobo with different names.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/PRIME_Z370-A/E13271_PRIME_Z370-A_UM_WEB.pdf (page 1-18)

Yes that’s correct, furthermore you can configure the fan curve and the control type, 4pin PWM or 3 pin DC voltage control all within the bios.

Well I guess that solves everything. Thank you very much W-L for all the help. :):)