Chrome takes 100% Cpu on startup for several seconds

DeadlyTitan

So i have a pretty new system with

• i7 8700
  • 32 GB Ram
  • 1080 Ti
  • 512 GB SSD Boot drive 

and chrome takes 100% cpu for several seconds on startup (as in starting the chrome) almost hanging my system in the process. Granted i run over 200+ tabs span across multiple instances of chrome with a dozen plugins/addons. I just wanted to know if its normal and is to be expected? 

Microsoft in there infinite wisdom have decided to impose a VRAM cap for games the that use DX9 o.O. May God Bless them those whoever came up with that idea. :dry:

You're looking for something that does not, has not, will not, might not or must not exist ... ... but you're always welcome to search for it. 

That happens to me as well (I have an i7 6700), but it really doesn't bother me. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Happens with me. I think it’s chrome just inefficiently handling how it opens the last session. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

5 minutes ago, Rasbir Singh said:

That happens to me as well (I have an i7 6700), but it really doesn't bother me. 

Yea it doesn't bother me either, not as long as it loads up all my pages nice and clean. I just wanted to know if its normal.

4 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Happens with me. I think it’s chrome just inefficiently handling how it opens the last session. 

Thnx. I guess it'll take us an another decade to get HW capable enough to handle chrome xD

Microsoft in there infinite wisdom have decided to impose a VRAM cap for games the that use DX9 o.O. May God Bless them those whoever came up with that idea. :dry:

You're looking for something that does not, has not, will not, might not or must not exist ... ... but you're always welcome to search for it. 

12 minutes ago, DeadlyTitan said:

I just wanted to know if its normal and is to be expected? 

I use a fairly clean chrome that doesn't do that on my laptop. Under your usage scenario then it's normal for it to completely crash your PC though.

13 minutes ago, DeadlyTitan said:

So i have a pretty new system with

• i7 8700
  • 32 GB Ram
  • 1080 Ti
  • 512 GB SSD Boot drive 

and chrome takes 100% cpu for several seconds on startup (as in starting the chrome) almost hanging my system in the process. Granted i run over 200+ tabs span across multiple instances of chrome with a dozen plugins/addons. I just wanted to know if its normal and is to be expected? 

Curious to why you got the 8700 Non K variant with the rest of your hardware being top end spectrum.

otherwise Chrome is just a Ram and CPU hog on startup and the more tabs. When you add more ram into your computer and you hear wheezing, its not the computer its chrome.

2 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Curious to why you got the 8700 Non K variant with the rest of your hardware being top end spectrum.

otherwise Chrome is just a Ram and CPU hog on startup and the more tabs. When you add more ram into your computer and you hear wheezing, its not the computer its chrome.

Not an overclocker, just a happy to go lucky man, lives in a hot place so ambient temps are already too high to bother overclocking and temps on non K cpu are easier to control and personally didn't want to invest in additional cooling when the gain is only 10% at best. Just slap in my old and trusted hyper 212x from previous build and its all good to go. No need for stability testing and stress testing. Just install windows, download games and start playing and several other reasons that i forget. 

You just need to be more organized and use organized bookmarks instead of leaving tabs open.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

13 minutes ago, MaxBunny said:

I use a fairly clean chrome that doesn't do that on my laptop. Under your usage scenario then it's normal for it to completely crash your PC though.

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

You just need to be more organized and use organized bookmarks instead of leaving tabs open.

Well my work requires me to do a lot of strenuous research which does not grant me the luxury of having time to organize. I cannot afford to close those tabs only to come back squandering around trying to find the data i needed which happened to be in one of the tabs i have just closed. The work is just random so i cannot say which tab is safe to close and which is not. Its just going to create chaos for me, and the plugins i have are there to help me cut off the extra clutter from the web pages that just waste my time or annoy me with their glaring flashing ads, auto play videos, popup ads, scripts, trackers and all that crap that they put around in web pages nowadays.  

You probably waste more time trying to find something in your 200 tabs than it would take to right click and make a new bookmarks folder......

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

You said "Just install windows, download games and start playing" but you also said "Well my work requires me to do a lot of strenuous research which does not grant me the luxury of having time to organize.  Something tells me that if you have time to download games and play, you also should have time to organize.  And with 200 plus tabs in Chrome I can understand why your system would belch every now and then.  Like the previous poster said, you probably spend more time looking thru the tabs for something than you do actually doing any work.  Just my humble opinion.....

Good Luck.

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

You probably waste more time trying to find something in your 200 tabs than it would take to right click and make a new bookmarks folder......

Not really though, its easy for me to pinpoint the exact tab i want and i usually open them in multiple instances with each instance holding its own tabs that belong to certain tasks. The tabs are big enough to identify them from their thumbnails/icons or whatever you call it and if i ever get lost, all i have to do is just hover my mouse around the tabs and read the names. Also i have a deeply organized bookmarks so its probably harder for me to bookmark on the go and then retrieve them. I usually have them in folders and sub folders like for example Games > game name > all the stuff belonging to that game, Articles > science/health/tech yada yada. 

You can't even see the thumbnails with 200 tabs.

Spoiler

Why are most of you trying to tell @DeadlyTitan how to use their pc?

Let the OP use chrome how they want to...

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

4 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

You said "Just install windows, download games and start playing" but you also said "Well my work requires me to do a lot of strenuous research which does not grant me the luxury of having time to organize.  Something tells me that if you have time to download games and play, you also should have time to organize.  And with 200 plus tabs in Chrome I can understand why your system would belch every now and then.  Like the previous poster said, you probably spend more time looking thru the tabs for something than you do actually doing any work.  Just my humble opinion.....

Good Luck.

I play on the weekends is there a problem? I am already pretty worn out by work so i hate to do all the tweaking to the CPU settings which is reason I've gave him for going to a non K CPU. I dont like to waste my time on weekends, just boot up my system and play some games. 

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

You can't even see the thumbnails with 200 tabs.

Really now? dude do you even read and comprehend? Only an idiot would run all the tabs in single chrome window. also its pretty readable in 4k, thnx by the way. 

Playing is fine, no matter when it is, I'm just pointing out that you said you didn't have time to organize but you have time to play.  Nothing more, nothing less.  But, do you keep Chrome open with the 200 tabs while you're playing?  If so, then I would recommend that you close Chrome while playing.

1 minute ago, kb5zue said:

Playing is fine, no matter when it is, I'm just pointing out that you said you didn't have time to organize but you have time to play.  Nothing more, nothing less.  But, do you keep Chrome open with the 200 tabs while you're playing?  If so, then I would recommend that you close Chrome while playing.

Yes sorry if i sounded a little rude, i do take time to organize once a month when i bring my sorry ass to sort out the stuff that i am done with and no longer needed, which i have to do eventually. I hate it, its such a pain but i do eventually and slowly lol. Yes i do have chrome open all the time, even when am playing games and it doesn't really effect the performance once its done loading all it wants. Its the reason i went for 32 Gb ram, if only ram prices were not super high i would have gone for 64 GB. 

4 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Normal. You can try an extension that provides lazy loading that will prevent tabs from (re)loading unless you click them, like this one: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/lazy-tabs/aabgbgciohhaogajcnacpgilhmacdahc

Well, here it goes, an another plugin for my chrome. Thanks a lot.