Random restarts when gaming

GuiGeek
Go to solution Solved by GuiGeek,

To people that read this later on:

A faulty cable on my PSU was the issue.

Hello everyone,

I really need your help, I get random restarts when I game. Not for games like League of Legends, but any FPS or Game that requires more power it restarts randomly.
I stress tested my CPU with aida64 all night long and it did not restart, temperatures from any component never goes above 75degrees Celsius (on load).
Which makes me believe it could be my GPU then?

Here are my specs:

• i5-7600k : Link
  • GTX1060 3gb Asus : Link
  • Z-270P motherboard : Link
  • 2 intake front fans corsair AF120 Quiet : Link
  • 1 exhaust and 1 intake fan (rear and top) FN v2 : Link
  • Arctic freezer i11 CPU cooler : Link

Please let me know of any tips, here are some things I have already done:

• Plug directly to the wall
  • Checked my RAM with windows memory diagnostic

Help would be highly appreciated, what should I do now?

What Power Supply are you using?

Edited by wkdpaul

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

6 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

What Power Supply are you using?

Corsair VS650

1 minute ago, GuiGeek said:

Corsair VS650

This is probably the issue you're having. Your Power supply simply is not adequate to handle your setup.

Corsair VS series is for basic office PCs like Celeron and Pentium builds.

Your CPU and GPU choice probably means you should switch to a Corsair CX Grey label at the bare minimum or move to the RMx lineup which I strongly recommend.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

This is probably the issue you're having. Your Power supply simply is not adequate to handle your setup.

Corsair VS series is for basic office PCs like Celeron and Pentium builds.

Your CPU and GPU choice probably means you should switch to a Corsair CX Grey label at the bare minimum or move to the RMx lineup which I strongly recommend.

But if the choice of PSU was the problem my PC would not have run great for two years and suddenly start to randomly restart I think.
A faulty PSU could be it but the wrong PSU not so sure.

My PC consumption is under 400w according to my calculations.

2 minutes ago, GuiGeek said:

But if the choice of PSU was the problem my PC would not have run great for two years and suddenly start to randomly restart I think.
A faulty PSU could be it but the wrong PSU not so sure.

My PC consumption is under 400w according to my calculations.

Choosing a Power Supply is not all about wattage. And if you've owned this PC for a few years and your CPU is overclocked, it probably uses more voltage (and thus consumes more power) than it did 2 years ago to maintain the same clockspeed it currently does today.

Honestly, I would just replace the PSU with a new Corsair RMx PSU or an equivalent quality PSU from Seasonic or EVGA.

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Choosing a Power Supply is not all about wattage. And if you've owned this PC for a few years and your CPU is overclocked, it probably uses more voltage (and thus consumes more power) than it did 2 years ago to maintain the same clockspeed it currently does today.

Honestly, I would just replace the PSU with a new Corsair RMx PSU or an equivalent quality PSU from Seasonic or EVGA.

Nothing is overclocked anymore inside my build.
It used to be and worked fine but ever since this happened everything is back to safety settings.

I would try it for sure but my worry is that if I spend in a new PSU and it is not the issue it would be a big waste of money.

Update,

The problem is probably from the GPU as CPU stress tests work fine, but FurMark makes my PC crash after 15mns.
Temperatures did not go above 76 degrees however.

Could my GPU be dead?
What should I try?

• 4 months later...

To people that read this later on:

A faulty cable on my PSU was the issue.