Gaming room setup

Posco

hello guys

i need help in setting up a gaming PC for a game room. i want to have one PC with the ability to play different high end games simultaneously.

i want it to display to 6-8 different monitors

to display 8 monitors for example, you rgonna need lots of gpu power, get a ryzen 7 1800X with an asus prime b350 plus, along with 2 gtx 1080s or if you have the money 2 titan Xs

get 32Gb of ram to go with that and your good in terms of running the displays

If my Response helped you, Please click the Check under my reply, to mark it as The Solution!

9 minutes ago, Posco said:

hello guys

i need help in setting up a gaming PC for a game room. i want to have one PC with the ability to play different high end games simultaneously.

i want it to display to 6-8 different monitors

Don't bother with all of that, what's your budget?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

4 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Indeed. Grab a couple of 1440p or 4K ultrawides instead. A battlestation is a lot more flexible than a whole room.

If you are going with multiple games at once you might consider going with some virtualization with probably a threadripper or a threadripper 2 (if you can wait for it). Then have the number of GPUs for the number of games you plan to play simultatiusly. 

Realisticly that not you want to do.

11 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

i currently have no fixed budget but i was in the process of comparing between getting this PC or maybe getting multiple play stations

5 minutes ago, Posco said:

i currently have no fixed budget but i was in the process of comparing between getting this PC or maybe getting multiple play stations

What are you planning? Because it sound so niche you might awell pour the money into a tripple ultrawide monitor battlestation. 

4 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

What are you planning

a simple gaming room for me and my palls. but am hoping we can be able to play different games separately or when need be play the same game but being displayed on the separate monitors. something that will allow each game to be controlled separately

10 minutes ago, Posco said:

Just get a bunch of APU PCs and you should be fine if your goal is esports type games, can even get them with 1080p 75hz free-symc displays

maybe get an SSD instead if you have a higher budget

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pFV78Y
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pFV78Y/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($94.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($74.39 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Patriot - Viper 4 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($43.90 @ OutletPC)
Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($45.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Cooler Master - MasterWatt 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($53.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor: Acer - KG221Q 21.5" 1920x1080 75Hz Monitor  ($117.79 @ B&H)
Total: $521.03
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-12 04:04 EDT-0400

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

Just now, Posco said:

a simple gaming room for me and my palls. but am hoping we can be able to play different games separately or when need be play the same game but being displayed on the separate monitors

All i can say is roughly 2-4 rx 580s depending on the mumber of pals. 

Grab a threadripper 1950x to use for virtualization. 

But really @Streetguru suggestion is a lot more sensible

Ahh... yes. The rare but all commonly "Needs the best of the best for you and your family or friends"

A Budget will help, it always does ;)

In this use case a i7-8700k is called "trash" yet, it has the 2nd best Single core other than to that of the gods. i7-8086k. (I'm joking ok, you thought)

The recommend CPU is a i9-7980XE. "your pals might want a good experience." $1799 I found some good deals. make sure to OC.

A 1440p monitor sounds good. let's say 8 people. I think they would all be expecting a above average experience. try getting 27in or less, to help pixel density. don't expect balls to the walls frames, for everyone, try for 60hz to 75hz most have both. expect $240 each, don't go to crazy, money has a purpose.

Ahh yes, RAM. Considering you "WILL" Overclock the PC, pick up some 64GB 3000MHz Dominator Platinums. OC that to 3800 if can. Looking for a 40% increase is very expected in performance. that runs like $700 I to think. But well worth it, considering 32GB will be all used up if you even think about playing GTAV x8 in people ;) more bandwith is better, don't exceed quad channel, cause latency is key here.

Motherboards, ahh yes. I have no freaking clue or much knowledge about this. I'm more of a CPU, GPU freak. Get the best of the best, and I'm openly willing to learn here as well. I'm fully wiling to be as of helpfully helpful as I can helpfully be. expect a expensive purchase exceeding $450 here. I have decent OC experience with one motherboard, so, yeah. :P (ASUS Rampage Extreme is the best info I can give you if any)

GPU. If you can wait. wait wait wait. Get quad SLI 1180's. or yeah just get some quad SLI 1080Tis I think you need a key tho. I recommend water cooling, but I wouldn't expect that if you just want to have fun, so just get some good airflow and you will be a ok. expect $800 per card. unless you wait. ASUS and MSI have a good place in my heart. I have experience with those, and that's what I'll recommend. $2700 give or take.

PSU. Yes where the blind hell are you going to be getting this power from?! a 1600W EVGA maybe (P.S. I have no experience with other brands, yes I would recommend Corsair PSUs, but I don't want to go out of what I know, that's who I am, and now you know.) If you need help for PSU's I'd be fine taking a hour or more to learn. I'm not a brick. a Overclocked i9-7980XE ATM might be alot for you, try 4.0GHz.

Cooling. Don't want to cook you and your friends alive, do you? Make sure to have Mnt Dew, plenty of cooling also, I think the best AIO, is the Corsair H150i.... ? Pls please pls don't quote me on this, I don't even think this is worth it, if any thing you do need some sort of custom loop. Airflow I recommend Bequiet and Noctua.

Ok, so some chairs, a big ole table and what else? Yes, a PC case.

Storage. SSD's. Lots of of Samsung EVO 860's they are good, relevant, reliable (just like a Note 7) jk*, but yes. They are very good and I recommend a 500GB 970Pro M.2 for the OS. and like, 4x 860 Evo 1TB, I mean you need some drives if one fails ever, a nice 4TB WD Black HDD for all that storage of random guy stuff, or movies, pictures, of the family!

PC Case. your going to need some thing big, huge man. I know the Panzer Max might fit, but go to the case pros. I'm only familiar with what I have. Don't want to ruin it for ya.

Last but not least, some keyboards and mice. get some Corsair Void Pro RGB headphones to spare, I see many people recommending those, so I will to. I only own G430s which are good enough for me.

I hope you like what I came with, just want to be of some assistance to you. I did help a guy a month ago make a purchase of a Titan V and a nice CPU. So I'm here to help.

One more thing, if you think I'm a AMD hater, I'm not. I've never owned AMD, in my life, not yet. But I may soon after I'm done with the ole i7-7700k. I will recoommed the nifty fifty X if you have some good reason. I'm just not very familiar with AMD. Enjoy. Please change this to your liking if you do go the "One CPU route" gn now, at 5am lol.

CPU i7-7700k 5.5GHz Delidded GPU MSI 1060 6GB ARMOR OCV1 +335/+1000 RAM 16GB 2x8 Corsair Vengeance WLED 2400/3000 C14 COOLER Corsair H100i v1 BOARD MSI Z270 SLI SSD Samsung 960 Evo 250G, x3 2T Samsung 860 Evo HDD WDB 4T, WDB 1T PSU EVGA 650GQ80+M CASE Cougar PanzerS                                                                           

CPU i7-10700k GPU MSI RTX 2080 Duke POS RAM 32GB 2x16 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 3200/3600 CL14 COOLER CM MasterLiquid ML360R RGB Push/Pull BOARD MSI MEG Z490 Ace SSD 980 Pro 500G, 860 Evo 1T PSU EVGA 1000P2 CASE Phanteks Enthoo Luxe TG Black

CPU Pentium G4600 GPU MSI GTX 1080 Armor OCV1 +100/+400 RAM 8GB 2x4 G.SKILL Aegis 2133/3000 CL16 COOLER Corsair H100i v1 BOARD MSI H110M Pro-VD-Plus SSD 860 Evo 1T HDD WDB 500G, WDB 1T PSU EVGA 430W Bronze CASE Deepcool Tesseract/ VIVO

SERVERS i5-3470, i5-3470, i5-4590 GPUS MSI 750Ti 4GB, BFG GTS 250 1GB, GTX 690 RAMS 3x 16GB 2x8 1866 C8 PSUS 2x EVGA 1000T2 COOLERS Stock, Stock, Custom Loop BOARDS Intel, Intel, EVGA Classified SSD x3 860 250G HDDS I don't care to list CASES Optiplex, Optiplex, 2000s Water Case

560HP/607TQ E85 198MPH2000 Audi S4 2.7Bi-Turbo with K04/RS6 Inlets SRM -  DAZ Tune - 2.8L N/A DOHC Heads  -APB Block - Mahle Pistions - JHM Racing H-beam Rods - TheTuner Manifolds - 3.5in to 3in Exhaust with Magnaflow Dual Box - Dual Titanium Exhaust Tips - SAI CNC Delete - S4 Modified Airbox - 85MM Maf- RS4 Intake Manifold p&p RS4 Y-pipe - RS4 Bi-pipes - RS4 Fuel Rail - A8 TTB - Billet Divertervalves - Silicone Hose Everything - SRMv4 Intercoolers - Clutch Fan Delete/Block off - Power Steering Light Pully - FluidAmper - Billet Cam gears - V8 Cam Bolts - ABS Relocate - VW Diesel Oil Pump

3 minutes ago, Mio85 said:

Yeah it will also be better than a R7 240 with a threadripper 1950x. What's your point here exactly?

Dont overspend on the CPU when you are loosing out in terms of performance with the GPU.

8 minutes ago, Crazycatman said:

Money to the OP is what you forgotten. Did you forget he doesn't have budget? It's nice to not disrespect his non-existent budget "wall" but if he says that, you should never mention a "8400" or "Productive CPU" this is all about best of the best.

If he is getting a build for each person in the room im going tl stay conservative when choosing what components.

In terms of best of the best Nvidia + Intel is the best. But you are paying for that performance. I think you would agree on that.

I will always mention productivy. Its often a big part in choosing components. But i understand what you are pointing to, Im not dumb

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

Even 8 cheap APU rigs would run around $4500, I need to find someone who likes his friends that much.

It's going to get 100fps in most games and be perfectly fine.

Why APU?. Explain. Why spend money on a CPU with "GPU literally" in it, if you just going to upgrade it?? Why even bother? If the OP is looking for a permanent solution. This is not enough.

If I was to do what the OP is doing, but not one PC but multiple. I would do a 1080 this are darn near MSRP no denying either, and a i7-7700k.

Why you ask? Why, not be cheap? Let's say money is a huge factor here. Ok well, this is a good choice. This CPU is cheaper than the i7-8700k. Well, then the argument about this and a i7-8700 Sparks. Then he core count and thread Sparks. It's basically politics, so inevitable.

The OP needs to comment his opinion on this. All of this.

CPU i7-7700k 5.5GHz Delidded GPU MSI 1060 6GB ARMOR OCV1 +335/+1000 RAM 16GB 2x8 Corsair Vengeance WLED 2400/3000 C14 COOLER Corsair H100i v1 BOARD MSI Z270 SLI SSD Samsung 960 Evo 250G, x3 2T Samsung 860 Evo HDD WDB 4T, WDB 1T PSU EVGA 650GQ80+M CASE Cougar PanzerS                                                                           

CPU i7-10700k GPU MSI RTX 2080 Duke POS RAM 32GB 2x16 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 3200/3600 CL14 COOLER CM MasterLiquid ML360R RGB Push/Pull BOARD MSI MEG Z490 Ace SSD 980 Pro 500G, 860 Evo 1T PSU EVGA 1000P2 CASE Phanteks Enthoo Luxe TG Black

CPU Pentium G4600 GPU MSI GTX 1080 Armor OCV1 +100/+400 RAM 8GB 2x4 G.SKILL Aegis 2133/3000 CL16 COOLER Corsair H100i v1 BOARD MSI H110M Pro-VD-Plus SSD 860 Evo 1T HDD WDB 500G, WDB 1T PSU EVGA 430W Bronze CASE Deepcool Tesseract/ VIVO

SERVERS i5-3470, i5-3470, i5-4590 GPUS MSI 750Ti 4GB, BFG GTS 250 1GB, GTX 690 RAMS 3x 16GB 2x8 1866 C8 PSUS 2x EVGA 1000T2 COOLERS Stock, Stock, Custom Loop BOARDS Intel, Intel, EVGA Classified SSD x3 860 250G HDDS I don't care to list CASES Optiplex, Optiplex, 2000s Water Case

560HP/607TQ E85 198MPH2000 Audi S4 2.7Bi-Turbo with K04/RS6 Inlets SRM -  DAZ Tune - 2.8L N/A DOHC Heads  -APB Block - Mahle Pistions - JHM Racing H-beam Rods - TheTuner Manifolds - 3.5in to 3in Exhaust with Magnaflow Dual Box - Dual Titanium Exhaust Tips - SAI CNC Delete - S4 Modified Airbox - 85MM Maf- RS4 Intake Manifold p&p RS4 Y-pipe - RS4 Bi-pipes - RS4 Fuel Rail - A8 TTB - Billet Divertervalves - Silicone Hose Everything - SRMv4 Intercoolers - Clutch Fan Delete/Block off - Power Steering Light Pully - FluidAmper - Billet Cam gears - V8 Cam Bolts - ABS Relocate - VW Diesel Oil Pump

2 minutes ago, Crazycatman said:

Why APU?. Explain. Why spend money on a CPU with "GPU literally" in it, if you just going to upgrade it?? Why even bother? If the OP is looking for a permanent solution. This is not enough.

Because he wants to buy like 8 machines? and with the APU you can run games fine, and have a pretty low power set up as well.

and should GPU prices ever come down, or miners start dumping GPUs, you cangrab like 8 RX 580s/1060 6GBs for cheap and just toss them in.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Crazycatman said:

How much is a R5 1600 vs the G2200 what ever Chip APU you said?

About $400 for an APU build without a display

$600 for an i3 8100 + GTX 1050ti

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pFV78Y
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pFV78Y/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($94.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($74.39 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Patriot - Viper 4 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($43.90 @ OutletPC)
Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($45.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Cooler Master - MasterWatt 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($53.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor: Acer - KG221Q 21.5" 1920x1080 75Hz Monitor  ($117.79 @ B&H)
Total: $521.03 -$117

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ywy2xG
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ywy2xG/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i3-8100 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($118.69 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - B360M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($70.99 @ Newegg Business)
Memory: ADATA - XPG GAMMIX D10 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB SC GAMING ACX 2.0 Video Card  ($179.99 @ B&H)
Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($36.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $589.54

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

-snip-

Then add a 70$ Crucial mx500 250GB for faster boot speed and a game or two on that SSD

* thread cleaned *

Please keep it on-topic (helping the OP with build suggestions) and also clean : insults are against the CS and bickering isn't helping.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Methinks Linus did a video on a multi-player gaming rig. For something like this, be prepared to take out a second mortgage and hock your present and/or future children.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

Check Linus' multi pc in one video.  He used unraid as the host OS which allowed GPU passthrough to all the VMs.  Note that this required one video card per VM.  This will not be cheap if you want all the VMs to handle high graphics settings in modern games.  You'll need a cpu with many cores and a bunch of ram.  

If budget starts to be a concern, I'd probably just link up a bunch of consoles instead.

I played around a bit with Unraid myself on one of my spare PCs that supported CPU and GPU passthrough.  I discovered that extra configuration was required to get Nvidia GPUs to passthrough properly (I think Nvidia locks this down).  My gtx 780 had major issues running in passthrough but my old 6870 passed through perfectly.

2 hours ago, Majinhoju said:

Check Linus' multi pc in one video.  He used unraid as the host OS which allowed GPU passthrough to all the VMs.  Note that this required one video card per VM.  This will not be cheap if you want all the VMs to handle high graphics settings in modern games.  You'll need a cpu with many cores and a bunch of ram.  

If budget starts to be a concern, I'd probably just link up a bunch of consoles instead.

I played around a bit with Unraid myself on one of my spare PCs that supported CPU and GPU passthrough.  I discovered that extra configuration was required to get Nvidia GPUs to passthrough properly (I think Nvidia locks this down).  My gtx 780 had major issues running in passthrough but my old 6870 passed through perfectly.

So it just depends on the GPU? What do you think about 4x 1080Ti, and i9-7980XE that's what I recommend him? Do you think that would work, or if there are 8 people would the GPU being doing (each GPU) 2 games at once O_O

4 minutes ago, Crazycatman said:

So it just depends on the GPU? What do you think about 4x 1080Ti, and i9-7980XE that's what I recommend him? Do you think that would work, or if there are 8 people would the GPU being doing (each GPU) 2 games at once O_O

That CPU should be good.  If he can keep it down to 6 players then everyone gets 3 cpu cores each.

The video cards will be tricky.  You need 1 GPU per VM.  If you go 1080TI, those are double slot cards and would fill up a motherboard fast (you'd maybe get 4 max).  I believe Linus used a single slot AMD card for his demonostration.  And you'd need a beefy power supply to power it too.  

Not advizable but... Really difficult. Here's someone doing 16 monitors:

Spoiler

Why don't you just get really big monitors? Presuming you're aiming for a setup as in the video above. 

If you're displaying the same screen to like 8~ monitors, I think any graphics card good enough for the resolution you're playing at is fine. Just daisy chain Display ports throughout. 

On 6/12/2018 at 4:20 PM, fpo said:

Not advizable but... Really difficult. Here's someone doing 16 monitors:

Reveal hidden contents

Why don't you just get really big monitors? Presuming you're aiming for a setup as in the video above. 

If you're displaying the same screen to like 8~ monitors, I think any graphics card good enough for the resolution you're playing at is fine. Just daisy chain Display ports throughout. 

That someone is Linus. Also it's not smaw screen to 8 monitors. 8 Different people playing the same or different game. won't work like like that. a 1080Ti can not do 8 ports to monitors. Not been possible. cause

Not enough Ports

Can't deliver the power.

Max dispaly is 7680x#### something. Not a chance.