AIO or Air Cooler for i7-8700k

Hi all,

So I’m working out what is a good cooler for my CPU on my rig I’m currently planning. I will be using an i7-8700k CPU with a ROG Maximus X Hero Mobo in an NZXT H700i ATX Mid-Tower Case. I don’t plan on overclocking just now, but down the road I may try to hit that 5ghz mark. I have never delidded a CPU before but am considering trying it after reading the forums. Right now, I’m trying to find out primarily what cooler I can run with that CPU that will fit the red/black color scheme, provide top of the line cooling under heavy load, have consistent good performance without hardware failures, and fit in the case. Budget is $300. All suggestions are appreciated .

h100i v2 seems to be a popular choice for water cooling, but the best would be a delid for thermals even with best water cooling / air 5ghz will run hot without it

3 minutes ago, BSula99 said:

-SNIP-

For $300 you have a fair bit of room to work with, if you wanted to get the most performance possible a triple radiator AIO cooler would be one of the best options next to custom watercooling. In terms of air cooler dual tower units like the dark rock pro 4 or Noctua NH-D15 are comparable to 240 and 280mm AIO units. 

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

For $300 you have a fair bit of room to work with, if you wanted to get the most performance possible a triple radiator AIO cooler would be one of the best options next to custom watercooling. In terms of air cooler dual tower units like the dark rock pro 4 or Noctua NH-D15 are comparable to 240 and 280mm AIO units. 

I honestly don’t have the practical experience needed to set up a custom loop (I’ve used gaming laptops most my life, this is first gaming desktop I’ve built). What 360mm AIOs would you suggest?

Just now, BSula99 said:

I honestly don’t have the practical experience needed to set up a custom loop (I’ve used gaming laptops most my life, this is first gaming desktop I’ve built). What 360mm AIOs would you suggest?

There are quite a few options these days, the Kraken X72 an Corsair H150i pro would be some of the best one for large format AIO units. 

I'm using an Corsair H100i V2 for my i7-8700k build I did and it keeps the CPU Temperature on Idle around: 25C and under load around 35-45.

Personal Computer Build:

CPU: i7-4790k | Motherboard: Asus Z97-A | RAM: 16GB G. Skill | Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce Gtx 1070 TI Founders Edition | Case: Corsair 750D | Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB / Western Digital Black 1TB / Western Digital Blue 1TB | Power Supply: EVGA 750watt SuperNova Gold Rated | Displays: 3 VG248QE 24" 144hz, 1MS | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 | Keyboard: Razer Chroma BlackWidow

15 minutes ago, W-L said:

There are quite a few options these days, the Kraken X72 an Corsair H150i pro would be some of the best one for large format AIO units. 

Is there any advantage to going with another AIO that’s not a 360mm? Say the H115i for example?

Just now, BSula99 said:

Is there any advantage to going with another AIO that’s not a 360mm? Say the H115i for example?

It’s mainly for silent performance, if you want to save some costs to put elsewhere in the system a 240-280mm AIO is more than capable of handling the 8700k. 

13 minutes ago, W-L said:

Get one of those. Get a H150i. or EVGA CLC 280.

CPU i7-7700k 5.5GHz Delidded GPU MSI 1060 6GB ARMOR OCV1 +335/+1000 RAM 16GB 2x8 Corsair Vengeance WLED 2400/3000 C14 COOLER Corsair H100i v1 BOARD MSI Z270 SLI SSD Samsung 960 Evo 250G, x3 2T Samsung 860 Evo HDD WDB 4T, WDB 1T PSU EVGA 650GQ80+M CASE Cougar PanzerS                                                                           

CPU i7-10700k GPU MSI RTX 2080 Duke POS RAM 32GB 2x16 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 3200/3600 CL14 COOLER CM MasterLiquid ML360R RGB Push/Pull BOARD MSI MEG Z490 Ace SSD 980 Pro 500G, 860 Evo 1T PSU EVGA 1000P2 CASE Phanteks Enthoo Luxe TG Black

CPU Pentium G4600 GPU MSI GTX 1080 Armor OCV1 +100/+400 RAM 8GB 2x4 G.SKILL Aegis 2133/3000 CL16 COOLER Corsair H100i v1 BOARD MSI H110M Pro-VD-Plus SSD 860 Evo 1T HDD WDB 500G, WDB 1T PSU EVGA 430W Bronze CASE Deepcool Tesseract/ VIVO

SERVERS i5-3470, i5-3470, i5-4590 GPUS MSI 750Ti 4GB, BFG GTS 250 1GB, GTX 690 RAMS 3x 16GB 2x8 1866 C8 PSUS 2x EVGA 1000T2 COOLERS Stock, Stock, Custom Loop BOARDS Intel, Intel, EVGA Classified SSD x3 860 250G HDDS I don't care to list CASES Optiplex, Optiplex, 2000s Water Case

560HP/607TQ E85 198MPH2000 Audi S4 2.7Bi-Turbo with K04/RS6 Inlets SRM -  DAZ Tune - 2.8L N/A DOHC Heads  -APB Block - Mahle Pistions - JHM Racing H-beam Rods - TheTuner Manifolds - 3.5in to 3in Exhaust with Magnaflow Dual Box - Dual Titanium Exhaust Tips - SAI CNC Delete - S4 Modified Airbox - 85MM Maf- RS4 Intake Manifold p&p RS4 Y-pipe - RS4 Bi-pipes - RS4 Fuel Rail - A8 TTB - Billet Divertervalves - Silicone Hose Everything - SRMv4 Intercoolers - Clutch Fan Delete/Block off - Power Steering Light Pully - FluidAmper - Billet Cam gears - V8 Cam Bolts - ABS Relocate - VW Diesel Oil Pump

52 minutes ago, BSula99 said:

Why all of the overpriced parts? what's your budget/country, and what's your monitor resolution/refreshrate? Just gaming?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

1 hour ago, BSula99 said:

From all of the AIO mentioned, I would go for the H115i, just as you've mentioned.

The H115i is pretty capable of keeping your 8700K cool.

However, if you want to overclock, you might benefit by going to a 360 mm radiator when you also value quiet performance.

50 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

From all of the AIO mentioned, I would go for the H115i, just as you've mentioned.

The H115i is pretty capable of keeping your 8700K cool.

However, if you want to overclock, you might benefit by going to a 360 mm radiator when you also value quiet performance.

I’ve heard there’s are some Air Coolers just as capable as 360mm AIOs. Do you know if that’s the case?

41 minutes ago, BSula99 said:

I’ve heard there’s are some Air Coolers just as capable as 360mm AIOs. Do you know if that’s the case?

If you want the best performance possible you can get it with a 280 mm or 360 mm radiator which is usually better than a dual tower heat sink and fan. With a 240 mm, it really just depends on which one, some are worse and some are barely better.