Got a new SSD, Can't run programs on my HDD

Hello,

I don't know wether I should be posting this here or in the Software thread, but I guess it makes more sense here. 

I've recently got a new SSD for my computer, since it was taking sometimes up to 5 minutes to boot and then another 5 to read everything on start-up. Problem is, once I booted, I soon realised that the process from moving to a HDD to a SSD wasn't that simple. I created a new user, tried to make it as close to the old one as possible, as I didn't know wether you could "import" users into the SSD without taking up all the ssd's space (for example having all my apps and prgrams on my desktop as I used to, without having to put them on the SSD). 

After this I tried to run Ableton Live (a music production program) and it wouldnt let me, and I figured it would be because of all the directory issues that could be happening.

So, I have 2 questions: 

1- Is there anyway of "importing" users to the SSD, assuring the fastest reading speed throughout Windows, but maintaining all my files on the HDD?

2- If not, how can I use apps that were once installed on the HDD (and I suppose they still are) without having to reinstall them on the SSD?

I wondered if I could just create a shortcut on my desktop that would lead me into the installed program, but it shows me "can't run because mfc120u.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program could fix this problem" 

Thank you! 

You could use a drive cloning utility, but otherwise, you will have to reinstall everything.

Maybe something like Macrium Reflect.

5 minutes ago, Karm0Zz said:

1- Is there anyway of "importing" users to the SSD, assuring the fastest reading speed throughout Windows, but maintaining all my files on the HDD?

All of your user data by default lives in C:\Users\[username]. If you can find where the original is, you can usually copy and paste the data as-is without adverse effects. If you only care about application data and settings, then the folders in question to copy over are AppData (this is hidden by default, so you need to enable showing hidden folders) and Documents.

5 minutes ago, Karm0Zz said:

2- If not, how can I use apps that were once installed on the HDD (and I suppose they still are) without having to reinstall them on the SSD?

You just use them. Most apps don't care they were installed or not. If the app required activation or something, then you should reinstall it.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

All of your user data by default lives in C:\Users\[username]. If you can find where the original is, you can usually copy and paste the data as-is without adverse effects.

Yeah, I did that in the beggining but then I noticed that the SSD was almost full already, because I was basically bringing every file I had on the HDD, to the SSD.

7 minutes ago, Prouser123X said:

You could use a drive cloning utility, but otherwise, you will have to reinstall everything.

Maybe something like Macrium Reflect.

I'll look on it, thanks!

Most times it's more problematic trying to get things sorted when cloning... IMO it'd be better to start fresh, and just move stuff you need from the HDD like data/documents you need.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Agreed, if you were trying to switch stuff from the HDD to SSD manually it's just going to end up being a bigger headache than reinstalling the software.

did you change the letter of the drive? if your cloned hdd was D, your ssd should be D now, and change the hdd latter to anything else you would like

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K @4.9 GHz 6-Core Processor CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU CoolerMotherboard: MSI - Z370I GAMING PRO CARBON AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard Memory: PNY - Anarchy 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 @3000 MemoryStorage: 960 evo 500gbVideo Card:place holderCase: Phanteks - Enthoo EVOLV ITX TG (Black) Mini ITX Desktop Case Power Supply:SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 pwm 59.5 CFM  140mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Monitor: Dell - S2716DG 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor Mouse: Place holder Sony H.ear on Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphone, Charcoal Black (MDR100ABN/B)  LEOBOG K26 Wired RGB Mechanical Keyboard,Gaming Keyboard,RGB Color Backlight,104 Key,Anti-Ghosting For Full Key,Blue Switches,Aluminum Chassis,Detachable wrist rest,PC,Computer, Laptop,BLACK (Black)EZDIY-FAB Sleeved Cable - Cable extension for power supply with extra-sleeved 24 PIN 8PIN 6PIN 4+4 PIN With COMBS- Black Grey

pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/resdal42/saved/sCW6XL