What's Best For Battery Life?

neoxid501

Title:

Charging Over Night,

Leaving it On and Charging in the Morning,

Just Turning it Off and On Again in the Morning?

I wouldn’t charge it overnight because that will shorten the battery’s capacity and life span. Once it reaches 100% take it out.

I charge it my laptop all the time and never take it out because I always have it plugged and never take it anywhere so I don’t care about battery life. 

There are a couple practical approaches here. First, you can charge all night, with the caveat that batteries don't like being in a high state of charge for overly long.

Second, you can fast charge in the morning (to around 70%-80%) as you're getting ready for the day. So long as heat is under control, this is probably the best option for longevity.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

3 hours ago, neoxid501 said:

Title:

I think Linus' latest video on the topic covers this pretty well. According to that, the best state for batteries is at 50%. So if you would were to keep it at 40-60%, that would be best.
However in the real world, that's not possible. So what I do is I charge it to 60-70% before going to sleep, in the morning I plug it in, and bring it up to 90-100%. So the phone is around 50-75% most of the time.

My R2700XT build:  r7 2700 @4.1 Ghz max 65C - Sapphire Pulse rx 5700xt @1625Mhz 955mV 1300rpm fans, max 82C - Asrock B450 gaming k4 - Gskill Ripjaws 2x8GB @3200mhz CL16 - Be Quiet Straight Power E11 650w - Fractal Meshify C - EK-Kit S240 - NB eLoop 120mm PWM - Be Quiet Shadow Wings 140mm 1000rpm - Bitfenix Spectre LED PWM 120mm - Samsung 250GB 860 Evo - Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Peripherals:  Acer XF270HBbmiiprzx 144hz 1080p TN - CM Storm Quickfire TK - Coolermaster MK750 - CM Storm Reaper - Logitech G303 - Logitech G502 - Logitech G603

Audio:  Hyperx Cloud Stinger - Samson SR850 - Trust Screamer - Creative Gigaworks T20 II

Doesn't matter kinda.

Letting the Plug in at 100% does NOT harm the battery AT ALL.

The Charge elctronics will stop the charge once it reaches 100%, and only let a tiny little bit through, to keep it at 100% (or the Phone itself takes the power directly from the Plug, and battery will neither charge, nor discharge).

44 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

For rooted Android phones, use the app Battery Charge Limit and set it to 95%/90%

And then you can safely let it charge overnight. Don't charge to 100% because at high % it is harder on the battery to approach full charge.

The second value of 90% means the app will prevent charging until it drops below 90%

Allowing the battery to naturally discharge that 5% effectively prevents trickle charging which is a culprit of battery deterioration.

The app works and I use it on all my phones. I use old unwanted phones as smart wifi adapters which meant they are plugged in all the time. Before I used this app they would eventually have their battery bloat to the point of failure. Doesn't happen any more since the app prevents trickle charging.

Unfortunately there is no alternative that does not require root or for Apple devices.

Kind of crappy that Android doesn't expose this functionality itself. I was hoping to avoid root, though I probably won't have much of a choice pretty soon as my phone sees regular hotspot use.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

13 hours ago, 00RaZoR11 said:

I think Linus' latest video on the topic covers this pretty well. According to that, the best state for batteries is at 50%. So if you would were to keep it at 40-60%, that would be best.
However in the real world, that's not possible. So what I do is I charge it to 60-70% before going to sleep, in the morning I plug it in, and bring it up to 90-100%. So the phone is around 50-75% most of the time.

This makes sense, but does turning it off overnight help? I know it still discharges a bit but my logic is that if the battery being off outweighs the damage done by turning it back on?

14 hours ago, neoxid501 said:

but does turning it off overnight help?

As long as you turn it off at 40-60% charge, it's great.

My R2700XT build:  r7 2700 @4.1 Ghz max 65C - Sapphire Pulse rx 5700xt @1625Mhz 955mV 1300rpm fans, max 82C - Asrock B450 gaming k4 - Gskill Ripjaws 2x8GB @3200mhz CL16 - Be Quiet Straight Power E11 650w - Fractal Meshify C - EK-Kit S240 - NB eLoop 120mm PWM - Be Quiet Shadow Wings 140mm 1000rpm - Bitfenix Spectre LED PWM 120mm - Samsung 250GB 860 Evo - Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Peripherals:  Acer XF270HBbmiiprzx 144hz 1080p TN - CM Storm Quickfire TK - Coolermaster MK750 - CM Storm Reaper - Logitech G303 - Logitech G502 - Logitech G603

Audio:  Hyperx Cloud Stinger - Samson SR850 - Trust Screamer - Creative Gigaworks T20 II