Silicon lottery delidding services

So this I just discovered- Silcon Lottery offers a delidding service. They will delid your cpu for the actually really surprising cost of $50. 

https://siliconlottery.com/collections/sl/products/delid?variant=47761802636

Considering a good delid tool can be $40 or more, this really isn't a bad deal when you consider they offer a guarantee (though whether they'd respect it I'm not sure).

Thoughts?

it's time

Seems like an okay deal. If you get insurance from it, then I would recommend it because if you break your chip, your gone.

hi.

7 minutes ago, RollTime said:

So this I just discovered- Silcon Lottery offers a delidding service. They will delid your cpu for the actually really surprising cost of $50. 

Considering a good delid tool can be $40 or more, this really isn't a bad deal when you consider they offer a guarantee (though whether they'd respect it I'm not sure).

Thoughts?

I wish there was a canadian company providing this service, they don't do international shipping.. But yes 100% support this idea. Btw Silicon lottery has been around for awhile I think they're pretty safe. 

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

That's pretty good.

Delidding tool + conductonaut + glue will cost more than what they charge.

Also using the best liquid metal :)

Buying the stuff yourself will be better if you're going to be delidding more CPUs in the long run though.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Let's see, at least on Amazon;

• Der8uer delid tool $47.99
  • Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut Thermal Grease Paste - 1.0 Gram $15.49
  • Permatex 82180 Ultra Black Maximum Oil Resistance RTV Silicone Gasket Maker, 3.35 oz. Tube $5.98

subtotal: $69.46 (+tax or shipping if you don't use prime)

So a guaranteed service sounds like a deal. Unless you are doing more processors, as @Enderman said

NeXTcube 12400 Z690M ITX 64GB SN770 6600XT Sugo16 12.5

NeXTserver 9400 H310N ITX 32GB SN350 5500XT Fara R1 12.5

NeXTstation 9900K Z390 ITX 32GB SN750 6800XT Enthoo 12.5

I paid exactly $0 for my delidding tool but I also have access to multiple 3D printers. I'm more of a hands on guy though so I like to do it myself. If you're not into that, sure use their service.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

56 minutes ago, Enderman said:

That's pretty good.

Delidding tool + conductonaut + glue will cost more than what they charge.

Also using the best liquid metal :)

Buying the stuff yourself will be better if you're going to be delidding more CPUs in the long run though.

I'm not. So yeah, for me this is a great deal.

44 minutes ago, Hashiba said:

Let's see, at least on Amazon;

• Der8uer delid tool $47.99
  • Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut Thermal Grease Paste - 1.0 Gram $15.49
  • Permatex 82180 Ultra Black Maximum Oil Resistance RTV Silicone Gasket Maker, 3.35 oz. Tube $5.98

subtotal: $69.46 (+tax or shipping if you don't use prime)

So a guaranteed service sounds like a deal. Unless you are doing more processors, as @Enderman said

Yeah, I'm actually really surprised that they can offer it this cheap. Makes me wonder-

What if they bin all the CPUs sent to them and send you back crappy ones, while keeping the winners of the silicon lottery and selling them? It's far-fetched, but prices on both their cherry picked CPUs and their delidding services are suspiciously cheap...

it's time

12 minutes ago, RollTime said:

I'm not. So yeah, for me this is a great deal.

Yeah, I'm actually really surprised that they can offer it this cheap. Makes me wonder-

What if they bin all the CPUs sent to them and send you back crappy ones, while keeping the winners of the silicon lottery and selling them? It's far-fetched, but prices on both their cherry picked CPUs and their delidding services are suspiciously cheap...

I know it's annoying af, but technically you could check that your processor is the same if you scan the laser printed matrix and correlate that info with some of the readings from CPUID and such. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000021613/processors/intel-core-processors.html

21613_image-3.jpg.4722b2b5760a00fa54c600ffd8ee422c.jpg21613_image-4.jpg.9b62fc5a9376da9ad2452b779bbb42cf.jpg

16 minutes ago, Hashiba said:

I know it's annoying af, but technically you could check that your processor is the same if you scan the laser printed matrix and correlate that info with some of the readings from CPUID and such. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000021613/processors/intel-core-processors.html

21613_image-3.jpg.4722b2b5760a00fa54c600ffd8ee422c.jpg21613_image-4.jpg.9b62fc5a9376da9ad2452b779bbb42cf.jpg

Ah, see but that's printed on the IHS... What's to prevent them from just swapping out the die under the ihs?

What I'd do is laser engrave the die (if that's possible) and check that.

it's time

You record the steppings and stuff from CPU-Z before sending it in. Then hope?

3 minutes ago, Pip313 said:

You record the steppings and stuff from CPU-Z before sending it in. Then hope?

I totally thought that you could extract the manufacturing date from CPUID/CPU-Z, I must be drunk sorry

11 hours ago, Hashiba said:

I totally thought that you could extract the manufacturing date from CPUID/CPU-Z, I must be drunk sorry

Lol, that's fine I guess. No need to apologize to... whomever you were apologizing to... 

it's time

1 minute ago, RollTime said:

Lol, that's fine I guess. No need to apologize to... whomever you were apologizing to... 

I'm sorry OP, please accept my apologies 

1 minute ago, Hashiba said:

I'm sorry OP, please accept my apologies 

Apology heartfully accepted... I think...

it's time

16 hours ago, RollTime said:

Thoughts?

I thought about buying from them but their voltages are all over 1.4 volts for daily, as for the delid service if you're really nervouxe about it yes just do it with them but I'd recommend you do it your self if you're comfortable it's alot easier than people say I did my 8600k with a razor blade no vice or tool and there's 0 damage to anything 

Is there anything stopping them from just ripping you off and stealing your CPU? I would love to do this but I mean, it seems pretty sketch 

1 minute ago, useffff said:

Is there anything stopping them from just ripping you off and stealing your CPU? I would love to do this but I mean, it seems pretty sketch 

They've been around for a while. I think they'll send you back a cpu, however we were discussing whether they might be sending you back a crappy one (i.e. one that lost the silicon lottery).

it's time

1 minute ago, RollTime said:

They've been around for a while. I think they'll send you back a cpu, however we were discussing whether they might be sending you back a crappy one (i.e. one that lost the silicon lottery).

Ahh, if you do end up doing it, and somehow find a way to see if they switched it or not, let us know

1 minute ago, useffff said:

Ahh, if you do end up doing it, and somehow find a way to see if they switched it or not, let us know

I will.

it's time

i'd rather pay a little more, get the stuff to do a couple, incase i do another then go with out my cpu for a week or so.

Firestrike 
i7-8700k @5.0GHz w/ 1.30v, Corsair h100iv2, Gigabye Aorus gaming 7, 16GB(8x2) 2666MHz ddr4, Dual RX470's OC'd to 1390mhz(atm) in corssfire - liguid cooled with corsair h60's, 3.25 TB in Samsung SSD's, anidees white crystal cube case 

Retired:
i5-4440k @3.2GHz, gigabyte ga-z87x-ud5h z87, 24GB DDR3, 3x1TB Seagate Baracuda HDD.

If they got caught just once sending back a cpu  with a different revision than sent they’d tank their business. 

I don’t know many people that would buy “stolen” cpu’s even if they overclock well.

Honestly I just think that stock intel Tim is so bad that a delid and liquid metal treatment is practically guaranteed to return a large return. 

2 hours ago, O9B0666 said:

i'd rather pay a little more, get the stuff to do a couple, incase i do another then go with out my cpu for a week or so.

Makes sense.

it's time

15 minutes ago, Pip313 said:

If they got caught just once sending back a cpu  with a different revision than sent they’d tank their business. 

I don’t know many people that would buy “stolen” cpu’s even if they overclock well.

Honestly I just think that stock intel Tim is so bad that a delid and liquid metal treatment is practically guaranteed to return a large return. 

I'm fairly sure they're not doing it, but it is fun to speculate.

And I don't mean a different CPU, I mean the same model but one that lost the silicon lottery.

it's time

22 hours ago, RollTime said:

Thoughts?

I sent in my 7700k like 2 days before the Texas hurricane and they still got it back to me in a week. It was the same cpu (according to cpu-z) and it ran a hell of a lot cooler and pushed to 5.0ghz easily. When I sent it in 4.8 was hitting 95c on my h100i v2

42 minutes ago, rijzen said:

I sent in my 7700k like 2 days before the Texas hurricane and they still got it back to me in a week. It was the same cpu (according to cpu-z) and it ran a hell of a lot cooler and pushed to 5.0ghz easily. When I sent it in 4.8 was hitting 95c on my h100i v2

Thanks for providing that info. Also it says your location is Erie PA, why would the Texas hurricane affect you?

it's time