Are cheep Chinese Graphics cards any good

with the prices of Graphics cards so high at the moment is it worth it to by unbranded?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. with the prices of Graphics cards so high at the moment is it worth it to by unbranded?

There is always a risk to buying non-brand products from sources who's reputation you cannot verify.

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

1 minute ago, Horatio said:

flashed?

They modify them so the brand new 1080ti you think you bought for $120 is actually a 560ti, but when plugged in it says all the right things...but doesn't perform right.

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

3 minutes ago, Horatio said:

flashed?

normally these are cheap gpus' that have been flased. Known scam. Don't buy them.

I mean... Yeston gpus arent a scam And are Good right?

My main rig  Shardsedge

☟ INFO & SPECS 

• Information:

This build is made for video editing, Gaming and livestreaming.

probably 65% of this build has been bought used.

• Specifications:

CPU  AMD Ryzen 7 1700

GPU  Sapphire RX 580 PULSE 4GB

SSD ✦ Toshiba TR200 240GB

HDD ✦ WD Black 160GB 2.5" + WD BLUE 1TB

PSU ✦ Corsair RM750X

RAM ✦ Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4 (8GB) 3000Mhz

CASE ✦ Corsair Crystal 460X

MOBO MSI X370 SLI Plus

My old pc build  Smoke

☟ INFO & SPECS 

• Information:

This build was made for gaming especially, it was my second build.

i had some struggles livestreaming on it because the CPU just wasn't good enough for that.

(I do not have this build anymore)

• Specifications:

CPU ✦ Intel i5 6500

GPU  Sapphire NITRO+ Radeon RX 470 4G D5

SSD ✦ Kingston SSDNow v300 120GB

HDD ✦ WD Blue 1TB

PSU ✦ Corsair CX450M

RAM ✦ Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4 (8GB) 2400Mhz

CASE ✦ Sharkoon S25-V

MOBO ✦ MSI H110M ECO

As long as I know it's not a scam I don't really care what the brand is.

What is actually supposed to go here? Some people put their specs, others put random comments or remarks about themselves or others, and there are a few who put cryptic statements.

• 2 years later...
On 5/27/2018 at 6:53 PM, Horatio said:

Personally, I would steer clear of GPUs bought from China. At least for the time being. My rationale is that China relies on the U.S. for semi-conductors, primarily. This is because the our country, U.S. controls roughly 48% of the market share and 8 of the largest semiconductor firms in the world. Initiated during the former President Trump administration and then maintained (thus far) by also the new President Biden administration, we have been tightening licensing policies to Chinese factories in an effort to help our U.S. semi conductor firms to stay ahead of China as the 2nd world leader in semiconductor technology. This means that Chinese rely on us and Taiwan for roughly 90% of semi conductor technology. Right now, due to the massive surge in data center building, machine learning advancement and various other things that rely on semiconductors, plus on a world-wide scale, we're experiencing a world-wide semiconductor shortage. COVID-19 whether it's real or not,has impacted production capabilities as well. China also relies on Taiwain for semi conductors yet due to constant friction between the two countries, and also by effect(what is done to Taiwan that violates our foreign policy standard will trigger a response from the U.S. ) - by extension will interfere with a reliable supply of semiconductors from Taiwan to China. At the moment and perhaps for the next 10 years at least, China will be fumbling around trying to improve their own localized semiconductor production capabilities. It's also worth noting that China has not invented their own method of semi conductor technology so they rely on purchasing special licenses that are tightly controlled by our U.S. semi conductor firms from the United States. Couple that factor with any on/off trade restrictions of the exportation of semi-conductors to China(Due to military illegal actions and so forth), China has a massively weak means of acquiring, more less dedicating semiconductors to the production of quality GPUs. MY POINT OF CAUTION: This part is merely speculation but- having extensive experience having commercial equipment custom manufactured from within China, and witnessing the alarming number of dishonest factories and their agents(Not all, but most that I've worked with), I need to caution anyone from doing so right now because the current situation suggests that factories would have a strong (MOTIVE) for finding ways to cut corners to make up for the lack of semi conductors. The risk to buy from them right now is pretty high. That is my advice. I realize that I'm commenting on an old post but I believe the original poster's question is still relevant and particularly during this current time and within the context of my purpose for writing this. I personally cannot wait for the GPU prices to go back down. I have mining ambitions to achieve. :(

Just weighing in, these cards are usually old overstocked/repurposed chips, or laptop chips. They have typically been flashed to report as a modern GTX card but are in fact much weaker older chips. However if you temper your expectations and do a bit of research before buying, they can sometimes work out okay. It's likely though that a GT1030 with a slight bump to memory/core clock will run rings around these cards.

Platform agnostic software engineer & small business owner. 

-= Locked =-

Please do not revive topics that have not been active for over 2 years.

Additionally, the OP has not visited since the topic was created.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER