RPi 3 B+ Too new?

BrownZeus

Hey all

So I recently got a new RPi 3 B+, and I've been trying to get Ubuntu MATE or Ubuntu Server working on it but can't get it going at all, even after multiple formats and reflashing of several different class 10 cards.

Obviously,  i was sure to use RPi specific versions of these operating systems, but I just can't get them working. Is it possible that its just too new since it was release earlier this year? Or is there a way to update the sd cards without having it in the RPi itself?

I don't wanna get into detail about why I need either one of these OS's running specifically, lets just leave it at that (I apologize if this statement came off rude).

Thanks in Advance!!

How have you been flashing them? What happens when you turn on the pi? Does it work with Raspbian?

I edit my posts a lot.

I have a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ and, while I wasn't trying to get those specific operating systems to work, I did do some other projects and with most of them, I had to download a beta version that was compatible with the 3 B+. That was right after it released, though, so I have found that, for the most part, things are optimized decently well for it. But, it is definitely a possibility, especially if you are working on projects that have a larger user base using different hardware other than a Raspberry Pi. 

Hello! It's me just passing through :) 

Just now, MrDrWho13 said:

How have you been flashing them? What happens when you turn on the pi? Does it work with Raspbian?

I have been using a program called Etcher, I've used both the Linux version (My laptop) and the Windows 10 version (My Desktop Rig).

Etcher Has worked when burnign a Raspian Drive.

The board does boot raspian just fine.

When I boot Ubuntu MATE, the power led blinks, and displays the RGB square with the Yellow Lightning Bolt in the upper right corner.

When attempting Ubuntu Server, the power led remains steady, the RGB square displays, no Yellow Lightning Bolt.

Well, i would try go get NOOBS going with raspbian or something.

Yes that's not what you want BUT at least that way you know the hardware is fine.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 minute ago, Aerdian said:

I have a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ and, while I wasn't trying to get those specific operating systems to work, I did do some other projects and with most of them, I had to download a beta version that was compatible with the 3 B+. That was right after it released, though, so I have found that, for the most part, things are optimized decently well for it. But, it is definitely a possibility, especially if you are working on projects that have a larger user base using different hardware other than a Raspberry Pi. 

Where could I find the beta links? I couldn't find any on the Ubuntu Mate site or the Ubuntu Flavor Maker site

Just now, samcool55 said:

Well, i would try go get NOOBS going with raspbian or something.

Yes that's not what you want BUT at least that way you know the hardware is fine.

Already have done this, Raspian works just fine. Thank you for the suggestion though

Just now, BrownZeus said:

Where could I find the beta links? I couldn't find any on the Ubuntu Mate site or the Ubuntu Flavor Maker site

They may not have any for those, I'm not sure. I found this, but I doubt this is going to be helpful, since it seems to have already released as a stable version: https://ubuntu-mate.org/blog/ubuntu-mate-bionic-beta1/

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Hello! It's me just passing through :) 

21 minutes ago, BrownZeus said:

with the Yellow Lightning Bolt in the upper right corner.

Just a bit of advice, the lightning bolt is telling you that the board isn't getting enough power. It may work, but you might want to get a better power supply (although I don't think that has any relevance to your situation).