Access points?

TomW88

Hello,

I've tried multiple Wi-Fi extenders but because my room has some "strong" walls, I have no idea what the technical terms is it simply limits the Wi-Fi getting in, so extenders simply do not work,

I am trying a wired method, I can easily gain access to ethernet cables but would a access point be better, if so, what do you all recommend?

Thanks,

Tom

drag the ethernet cable in the room, and use a WiFi router there (as mesh network)

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

The ones I have tried just don't seem to work. Which ones are good?

Would an Apple AirPort be a good idea, I have a Mac so for backups etc that would work great but not sure if it is a wi-fi extender.

Positioning of the router makes a difference as well - how high it is in the room, and the angle in which it is pointed (or its antennas).

You don't put an extender where you want coverage, you put it as far as the strong signal goes from the main wireless. If you put it where you need signal - well it is also going to have a weak signal and not be able to relay much. So using a laptop, walk around towards where you need coverage, and as soon as you see it go from strong to medium - stop, backup, and plunk down your extender.

If you have access to a wire in the room then wired is always greater than wireless. 

(Also... it's not really a mesh network if all the APs are wired, it's just simply a wireless network)

I'm using an ubiquiti AP (AC PRO) which covers my whole house currently (even 5G coverage is pretty good).

6 minutes ago, TomW88 said:

The ones I have tried just don't seem to work. Which ones are good?

Would an Apple AirPort be a good idea, I have a Mac so for backups etc that would work great but not sure if it is a wi-fi extender.

Apple has depreciated all of it's AirPort devices, so they are a bad choice even if they perform quite well right now - they wont get any updates in future and that could become a security problem.

If ethernet routing to your pc isn't a logistical nightmare, it's always going to give you the best security/performance versus wifi. Otherwise, I'd recommend an ubiquity ap, and try to route it's own ethernet connection as close to your pc location as possible without it being obnoxious. 

Hey,

So the Wi-Fi is an issue for my phone too so ethernet to my Mac wouldn't fix that part.

I will tkae a look at ubiquiti AP - thanks!

4 hours ago, TomW88 said:

Hello,

I've tried multiple Wi-Fi extenders but because my room has some "strong" walls, I have no idea what the technical terms is it simply limits the Wi-Fi getting in, so extenders simply do not work,

I am trying a wired method, I can easily gain access to ethernet cables but would a access point be better, if so, what do you all recommend?

Thanks,

Tom

1. No, access point will not be better than cabeled. 

If you really want Wifi you can pull a cable to your room and connect a access point inside the room to cover it wirelessly.

12 hours ago, AbsoluteFool said:
  1. No, access point will not be better than cabeled. 

If you really want Wifi you can pull a cable to your room and connect a access point inside the room to cover it wirelessly.

What acess point do you recommend?

I am guessing if you were to buy a £15 one it would be awful, right?

15 hours ago, TomW88 said:

Urm. I'm really not the person to ask about access points. If i where to buy an access point in Norway for 15$ it would be amongst the cheapest shit i could get my hands on. Driving out to the store would probably cost me more.

If i don't misunderstood you, you asked if an access point would be better than a cable. Which resulted in my comment being "No, access point will not the better than cable."

But yeah you can get some quite good access points. Perhaps look into unify? they are very populare now days.

19 hours ago, TomW88 said:

I can recommend Ubiquiti AC-Pros. I have two in my house and they work together well.

22 hours ago, TomW88 said:

An access point from Ubiquiti will be your best bet. You probably don't need the UAP-AC-PRO for residential use, as the UAP-AC-LR or even a couple of the UAP-AC-LITE units will do the trick if installed at both ends of the home, or if you put one on each floor. However, if Ubiquiti's hardware doesn't improve things, then either a) your house is made of lead, or b) whomever designed your house did not do so with wireless internet in mind.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Thanks for the advise everyone!