Upgrade FX-8150 to... what?

Hello everyone. :)

I'm thinking of upgrading my processor. I have the following:

AMD FX-8150 8 core

Geforce GTX 1070

8GB DDR3

It runs games quite well (stable 55-60fps for most newer titles after some settings tweaking), which is helped a lot by the fact the native resolutions my monitor/TV are 1680x1050 and 1360x768, respectively. However, I'm aware my CPU is bottlenecking my GPU hard, and that I should really start moving toward more modern hardware, with a 144hz monitor and a computer that's able to take advantage of it being the golden standard which I hope to hit some day. 

The correct choice for me is (probably) to upgrade to a Ryzen 3 2200g (or equivalent Intel), a corresponding ASUS motherboard, and 8-16gb DDR4. However, this would set me back 300-400 euros, which is considerable money in my poor Eastern European country. 

Which is why I'm exploring the option of simply buying a more modern AMD FX processor + maybe another 8 gig of DDR3. Is this worth it in this day and age? Would the difference between my current processor and the new one be noticeable enough to justify the price tag? And what CPU should I get? 

TLDR: What's the best AM3+ slot processor for gaming and is it good enough to be a meaningful upgrade to an FX-8150 for the next couple of years? Or should I really just flip out the old wallet and upgrade the system to DDR4?

Thanks!

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

The best upgrade for an AM3+ that would have any meaningful performance benefits would be one of the insane FX-9000 series processors. But if you get something like a FX-9590, you're now dealing with a 220W TDP processor. This 40W below Threadripper which most people already recommend an AIO to cool it off.

It's best to just save up your money and get an entirely new system. Especially since even the FX-9590 is easily bested by something much more efficient.

There are no better AM3+ CPUs.

It's a dead socket, obsolete, no new CPUs for it.

The FX9000 series is also complete crap, don't even think about wasting your money on that.

Either go with ryzen, or switch to current gen intel.

Either way you're going to have to spend several hundred dollars, so better start saving up now and don't waste any money on AM3+.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

FX's bottleneck is such that even the 9000 series parts really don't bring much to the table.

It's a matter of saving up & waiting for DDR4 to come down in price. 

Darn, I was afraid you guys would say that.

Thanks for the answers. Ryzen upgrade it is!

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

FX series is a bottleneck with the 1070. Sell the platform and move to Ryzen.

hi.

I have the fx 8320 OC'D to 4.2 with 16gb ddr3 and in the same situation as you. I was thinking about getting the ryzen 5 and 16gb ddr4 until I can save some money for the build I want