Questions about NVMe drive, Sata SSD and SATA Hard drive on same system

Hi, this might be a bit of a weird / silly question, but I'm very unsure about this since I am basically a complete beginner to building PCs. I'm in the process of building an entirely new computer from my last one which is currently about 9 years old.

For the new build I'm planning on getting the samsung 960 evo nvme drive along with a 2TB hard-drive for general storage..

However, about 1 year or so ago I got myself a samsung 850 evo sata ssd, so I have one of those already. 

Would it be possible to run all of them at the same time on the new build? The motherboard I have is the ASUS Rog Strix X470-F

Also what would be my best option for a use case here, should I get the 960 evo at 250GB to just run windows and maybe programs like photoshop, sony vegas, etc. and then use my 850 evo SATA ssd for games?

Or would it be better to simply invest in a larger size capacity 960 evo and have all the programs and games on that, and then maybe saving the 850 evo for something else?

Thank you for reading through this!

Edited by hanaw
Actually, I think it might be a samsung 850 EVO

You can run an NVMe, SATA SSD, and a HDD on the same system as long as you have all the interfaces available.

However, regarding which drives to get, I recommend getting more space than performance with SSDs. For most users and use cases, SATA SSDs is the cut-off point where returns diminish rapidly.

Yes, you can use all of them no problem. Your X470 mobo can even combine the 850 Evo and 2TB HDD using StoreMI to create one volume with the benefits of both. One drive death would mean RIP data, so that's something to take into consideration as well. 

A 250GB 960 Evo would be a great place to start, assuming your 850 is larger than that but like stated above, the performance difference isn't that perceivable. Might as well get a bigger SSD for your games if your 850 Evo isn't 500GB or larger and just ditch the NVMe idea.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

1 minute ago, NelizMastr said:

Yes, you can use all of them no problem. Your X470 mobo can even combine the 850 Evo and 2TB HDD using StoreMI to create one volume with the benefits of both. One drive death would mean RIP data, so that's something to take into consideration as well. 

A 250GB 960 Evo would be a great place to start, assuming your 850 is larger than that but like stated above, the performance difference isn't that perceivable. Might as well get a bigger SSD for your games if your 850 Evo isn't 500GB or larger and just ditch the NVMe idea.

My 850 EVO is 250GB, so I feel like it would be more of an "hey here's some extra storage" idea, unfortunately

6 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

You can run an NVMe, SATA SSD, and a HDD on the same system as long as you have all the interfaces available.

However, regarding which drives to get, I recommend getting more space than performance with SSDs. For most users and use cases, SATA SSDs is the cut-off point where returns diminish rapidly.

I figured I'd invest in an NVMe drive because the rest of my system is pretty decent, and they're currently on a tiny sale on newegg.ca with a 14% off the 250GB version and an 18% off the 500GB version

2 minutes ago, hanaw said:

I figured I'd invest in an NVMe drive because the rest of my system is pretty decent, and they're currently on a tiny sale on newegg.ca with a 14% off the 250GB version and an 18% off the 500GB version

you'll be fine with 250gb NVME and a 250GB 850 EVO, just use the NVME for windows and other programs, and use the 850 EVO for bigger programs if you use any, i don't think it's worth it to fill it with games :) just fill the hard drive with games, hard drives are much faster when windows is not installed on them.

i'm also on the same boat, i'm gonna buy a 250GB NVME and use my 250GB SSD for other big programs, and my hard drive for games.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

3 minutes ago, syn2112 said:

you'll be fine with 250gb NVME and a 250GB 850 EVO, just use the NVME for windows and other programs, and use the 850 EVO for bigger programs if you use any, i don't think it's worth it to fill it with games :) just fill the hard drive with games, hard drives are much faster when windows is not installed on them.

i'm also on the same boat, i'm gonna buy a 250GB NVME and use my 250GB SSD for other big programs, and my hard drive for games.

I don't know about having my games on my hard drive, I've been told by pretty much everyone to avoid that as much as possible