Building a custom robotic arm

Kamjam21xx

Im looking to build a custom robotic arm. Like kira or something. But i know nothing about the electronics side (i know plenty about electronics, but just average nerd stuff)

I can make all the parts, just curious if anyone could help.

Maybe we can all work together and have robot arms lol. Ill make the drawings.

17 minutes ago, Kamjam21xx said:

But i know nothing about the electronics side

Maybe start learning then... building a robot arm isn't trivial.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

20 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Maybe start learning then... building a robot arm isn't trivial.

Im just so busy learning other stuff lol.

Would be great for automation for anything repetitive i do.

1 minute ago, Kamjam21xx said:

Would be great for automation for anything repetitive i do.

It's not that easy, you'd end up spending a lot more time programming the arm than doing the repetitive tasks

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

you mean like an assembly line arm or like a prostetic arm? both not rivial. best i can do is this

image.jpeg.7f730b9281fef789ec0b68229c94a466.jpeg

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

1 minute ago, cluelessgenius said:

you mean like an assembly line arm or like a prostetic arm? both not rivial. best i can do is this

image.jpeg.7f730b9281fef789ec0b68229c94a466.jpeg

Basically that, but with bigger motors and arms. Like atleast 1.5hp motors.

but there is interesting stuff out there for you to research if you want 

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

Basically that, but with bigger motors and arms. Like atleast 1.5hp motors.

image.jpeg.a4bd09e6ce682002e3c599933e855a08.jpeg?

I pretty much just want to copy Kira and the other robor arms like it. I guess il probably be on my own then.

Cant imagine its that hard to do.

the fact that you rate the power of an electric motor in horse power shows that you really have no real idea what you are doing.

building a robot arm is very easy, you select motors that fit your needs and possibly already have rotary encoders build and, build the arm according to your needs and then build the control circuit.

the very first thing you want to look at is what exactly is this arm going to do and what kind of motor do you need to achieve this, everything else will then have to be adjusted to that motor and specific action the arm will do.

53 minutes ago, Pixel5 said:

the fact that you rate the power of an electric motor in horse power shows that you really have no real idea what you are doing.

building a robot arm is very easy, you select motors that fit your needs and possibly already have rotary encoders build and, build the arm according to your needs and then build the control circuit.

the very first thing you want to look at is what exactly is this arm going to do and what kind of motor do you need to achieve this, everything else will then have to be adjusted to that motor and specific action the arm will do.

Basically identical to kira or any other one. Just want to make my own. Idc if i have to make my own motors, i will. Definitely cheaper than buying one.

Hp is a measure of work... 

Idc if it cost me $10,000

7 minutes ago, Kamjam21xx said:

Basically identical to kira or any other one. Just want to make my own. Idc if i have to make my own motors, i will. Definitely cheaper than buying one.

Hp is a measure of work... 

no, horsepower measures the rate at which work is done and was introduced to be able to compare the power of steam engines to the ones of a horse because that was the only thing people could compare with.

HP was replaced by watt a long time ago and this is also how you describe the power of a motor today combined with other things like newton meters and many more.

building your own motor is not really an option for what you want to do and since the price is not an issue anyways its better to just buy them.

if you want something like kira then 10000 buck is probably still way too little, also that thing weighs about 2.5tons its not exactly made for home use.

you should probably start very very small and either buy a robotics kit or get a 3d printer and some servos to build your own robot arm, then you will realiez that this arm is totally useless because it doesnt do anything for you that you couldnt do faster on your own.

So you dont really have a use for it and you dont want to build it for the learning experience also because as it seems here you dont want to learn, you want to be told how to do things.

ohh i just googled kira... so you basically want the camera bot from iron man?

Yeah i mean im willing to wind verything, make my own boards, cnc the spindles, print parts, cast pieces, machine stuff, order whatever magnets, etc.

Really the ONLY complicated part to me is the robotics part. The basic engineering is a no brainer.

Im willing to do it, but if nobody wants to help me figure it out thats fine. I got lots of uses for it.

I shall learn, and create.

29 minutes ago, Pixel5 said:

no, horsepower measures the rate at which work is done and was introduced to be able to compare the power of steam engines to the ones of a horse because that was the only thing people could compare with.

HP was replaced by watt a long time ago and this is also how you describe the power of a motor today combined with other things like newton meters and many more.

building your own motor is not really an option for what you want to do and since the price is not an issue anyways its better to just buy them.

if you want something like kira then 10000 buck is probably still way too little, also that thing weighs about 2.5tons its not exactly made for home use.

you should probably start very very small and either buy a robotics kit or get a 3d printer and some servos to build your own robot arm, then you will realiez that this arm is totally useless because it doesnt do anything for you that you couldnt do faster on your own.

So you dont really have a use for it and you dont want to build it for the learning experience also because as it seems here you dont want to learn, you want to be told how to do things.

Ill figure it out on my own. Thanks... i guess?

6 hours ago, Kamjam21xx said:

Ill figure it out on my own. Thanks... i guess?

Well you're basically saying I want to learn X, but I don't want to do the work myself so tell me everything I need and need to know.

Take a look at the InMoov project if you are interested in human-like robotics and have access to a 3D printer: http://inmoov.fr/

Otherwise, the simple robotic arm isn't that hard to make mechanically, it's more the programming to make everything work together.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

4 hours ago, tikker said:

Well you're basically saying I want to learn X, but I don't want to do the work myself so tell me everything I need and need to know.

Take a look at the InMoov project if you are interested in human-like robotics and have access to a 3D printer: http://inmoov.fr/

Otherwise, the simple robotic arm isn't that hard to make mechanically, it's more the programming to make everything work together.

No i dont want anything inbetween. Im making a full on arm like Kira. It cant take that much to make it work. 

I just have A LOT of projects. 

4 hours ago, Pangea2017 said:

Buy a ABB and programm it. There is now way you can get close to this within a few year if you don't have any experience and pls don't kill or hurt your self with these robots. Normaly humans are not allowed near them. 

I get told i cant do things a lot, so far i havent proven anyone right lol. 

Thanks, ill look into it.

2 hours ago, Kamjam21xx said:

I get told i cant do things a lot, so far i havent proven anyone right lol. 

Thanks, ill look into it.

im not really surprised people tell you you cant do things, you come here to ask for help, get valid answers with follow up questions that completely reasonably question the viability of what you want to do.

you ask for details on the robotics part which is the absolute easiest part compared to everything else you want to do here and as already stated what exactly you need to control this depends entirely on what kind of motors you are using and the power requirements you have so before this is not planned to the smallest detail you will not know what control circuits you will need.

Also you contradict yourself here by first saying you want to do EVERYTHING on you own to save costs and then basically say the price doesnt matter and even over 10k would be no problem.

Instead of simply telling us how you want to solve the problems that were already brought up you throw a tantrum and think everyone here works against you, go read your own comments again and think if this is an answer that makes sense for the replies you got.

Even if you would manage to get something like this done, which is highly doubt the cost will exceed 10k easily, even 2.5 tons of raw aluminium already costs 10k let alone the machines you need to build this robot arm, if you want to do it the right way and with proper precision you will need a giant multi axis CNC mill to machine the parts, a mill that size, power and precision easily costs a few hundred k.

5 minutes ago, Pixel5 said:

im not really surprised people tell you you cant do things, you come here to ask for help, get valid answers with follow up questions that completely reasonably question the viability of what you want to do.

you ask for details on the robotics part which is the absolute easiest part compared to everything else you want to do here and as already stated what exactly you need to control this depends entirely on what kind of motors you are using and the power requirements you have so before this is not planned to the smallest detail you will not know what control circuits you will need.

Also you contradict yourself here by first saying you want to do EVERYTHING on you own to save costs and then basically say the price doesnt matter and even over 10k would be no problem.

Instead of simply telling us how you want to solve the problems that were already brought up you throw a tantrum and think everyone here works against you, go read your own comments again and think if this is an answer that makes sense for the replies you got.

Even if you would manage to get something like this done, which is highly doubt the cost will exceed 10k easily, even 2.5 tons of raw aluminium already costs 10k let alone the machines you need to build this robot arm, if you want to do it the right way and with proper precision you will need a giant multi axis CNC mill to machine the parts, a mill that size, power and precision easily costs a few hundred k.

Im a doer not a donter. Itll get done, i just gotta learn some stuff.

Its fine i dont need help. I just thought the forum would be more helpful than this, it usually is.

17 hours ago, Kamjam21xx said:

No i dont want anything inbetween. Im making a full on arm like Kira. It cant take that much to make it work. 

I just have A LOT of projects. 

Then get stuff done before you start something new. Simple. There's no point in having tons of unfinished business and it will only make you loose interest faster in my experience since you cannot put the time necessary in any of the projects to make it worthwile.

On 22/05/2018 at 2:16 PM, Kamjam21xx said:

<snip>

On 22/05/2018 at 12:52 PM, Kamjam21xx said:

Cant imagine its that hard to do.

9 hours ago, Kamjam21xx said:

Im a doer not a donter.

So why haven't you figured it out yet then? Go out there and get it done! :D  I know that's a stupid answer, but the thing is that, while the mechanics are straightforward, the programming is less so. It takes a lot of calibration and just overall fiddling around and fine tuning, which no one can help you with, but you. All we can do is offer assistance, but we're not going to design your robot for you.

Figure out what it needs to do, select the appropriate materials and components (as in material strength, correct power motors etc.) and then we can help. Asking about how to integrate component X into a project will get you loads of help I'd assume, but saying "build me a robot" won't ;) 

Here's something that may get you started:

https://www.electronicshub.org/robotic-arm/

It's small and simple, but will probably give you a decent footing to scale it up. It will require work on your end.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB