Python or C++

Maikiki
16 hours ago, Railgun said:

TL;DR for most of the above, but you sound like someone who knows nothing about programming (no offense). In this case, don't even bother with C++. You won't have a use for it and it is far too advanced to attempt.

Stick with something simple and extremely useful in a wide variety of situations. Python is good, but I would honestly start off with Javascript. I recommend a website called codecademy for learning Javascript.

EDIT: Javascript is useful from web design all the way to game design in the Unity engine. Perfect language for a beginner IMO

Except Javascript is a disgusting awful language that should probably die, but won't.

Nowadays you often use Ecmascript 6 instead of "classic" JS. And that's combined with a framework like Ember.js, Angular and other.

If you are hoping to learn your first language, I will prefer C++ to start with. Mainly because you would be touching some low level concepts relatively to Python. It WILL be hard at beginning but your work will pay off. You would not only become experience in procedure orientated programming but also object orientated programming. Switching to any other language would seem a piece of cake to you.

On 5/29/2018 at 10:47 AM, Atalia Chez said:

If you are hoping to learn your first language, I will prefer C++ to start with. Mainly because you would be touching some low level concepts relatively to Python. It WILL be hard at beginning but your work will pay off. You would not only become experience in procedure orientated programming but also object orientated programming. Switching to any other language would seem a piece of cake to you.

This is like telling everyone to just go to harvard or MIT. Sure, they will be at the top of their game IF they pass but that is not a wise recommendation for beginners.

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

On 5/28/2018 at 4:59 AM, geo3 said:

Except Javascript is a disgusting awful language that should probably die, but won't.

What's wrong with JS? I don't really use it so it makes sense that I wouldn't know, but I thought it was pretty good?

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

On 5/28/2018 at 5:59 AM, geo3 said:

Even if you aren't a fan of it, that is a pretty ridiculous statement. It is easy enough for almost anyone to use at a basic level, is incredibly extensible, and is efficient and complete enough that it runs most of the commercial web (at least on front end - and its growing on back end.)

Some of its features like falsyness, duck typing, and global scope are double edged swords that cause weird errors and library collisions - but every language has trade offs (though I'll admit that "0 == false" causes headaches). It is the rare language that can be used to throw together a simple script or tool in a few minutes to something that can power massive web applications.

If you struggled with it then spend some time to learn about its architecture (it has different underlying assumptions from the C family languages.) If your complaint is bad code - inexperienced coders do that in every language.

Most of all, don't judge languages that aren't your schtick based on how much easier you find your languages.

Web Developer and Java contractor

I prefer C++ but python's easier if you're just starting off and honestly the language doesn't matter. It's the underlying concepts that are important and those are pretty much universal.

On 5/31/2018 at 7:53 AM, Railgun said:

This is like telling everyone to just go to harvard or MIT. Sure, they will be at the top of their game IF they pass but that is not a wise recommendation for beginners.

I started learning programming using C++. It is not that much hard as people tell.

On 31/05/2018 at 3:56 AM, programmer said:

Some of its features like falsyness, duck typing, and global scope are double edged swords that cause weird errors and library collisions - but every language has trade offs (though I'll admit that "0 == false" causes headaches).

Dcb5rbZVMAAJgCh.jpeg

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

this video is obligatory whenever JS quirks are discussed: https://www.destroyallsoftware.com/talks/wat

Gaming build:

CPU: i7-7700k (5.0ghz, 1.312v)

GPU(s): Asus Strix 1080ti OC (~2063mhz)

Memory: 32GB (4x8) DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3000mhz

Motherboard: Asus Prime z270-AR

PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W

Cooler: Custom water loop (420mm rad + 360mm rad)

Case: Be quiet! Dark base pro 900 (silver)
Primary storage: Samsung 960 evo m.2 SSD (500gb)

Secondary storage: Samsung 850 evo SSD (250gb)

Server build:

OS: Ubuntu server 16.04 LTS (though will probably upgrade to 17.04 for better ryzen support)

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700x

Memory: Ballistix Sport LT 16GB

Motherboard: Asrock B350 m4 pro

PSU: Corsair CX550M

Cooler: Cooler master hyper 212 evo

Storage: 2TB WD Red x1, 128gb OCZ SSD for OS

Case: HAF 932 adv

13 hours ago, Atalia Chez said:

I started learning programming using C++. It is not that much hard as people tell.

Honestly this sounds like something you would see on r/humblebrag

21 minutes ago, Railgun said:

Honestly this sounds like something you would see on r/humblebrag

Exactly, I sound like a person who is driven to learn coding and it should not be hard for anyone with 'that' much motivation. I genuinely believe C++ is not the best language to start with but it will help you a lot once you get a hold of it.

1 hour ago, Atalia Chez said:

Exactly, I sound like a person who is driven to learn coding and it should not be hard for anyone with 'that' much motivation. I genuinely believe C++ is not the best language to start with but it will help you a lot once you get a hold of it.

In case you didn't know, that was an insult. r/humblebrag is not somewhere you want to be featured.

EDIT: also this

eKRB3UZ.png

/r/quityourbullshit

5 hours ago, reniat said:

this video is obligatory whenever JS quirks are discussed: https://www.destroyallsoftware.com/talks/wat

Funny, indeed. You could probably make such a video with basically any language though.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

Just now, bowrilla said:

Funny, indeed. You could probably make such a video with basically any language though.

For sure. That wasn't meant as proof of js being bad, i just wanted to share ?

Gaming build:

Server build:

OS: Ubuntu server 16.04 LTS (though will probably upgrade to 17.04 for better ryzen support)

16 hours ago, Atalia Chez said:

1 hour ago, Railgun said:

In case you didn't know, that was an insult. r/humblebrag is not somewhere you want to be featured.

Technically, I started with Visual Basic about 5 years ago (the IT Management major at my school is awfully behind), but when I switched to the Comp Sci major there, they used C++ almost exclusively (save for some specific courses that taught specific languages).

I then took a Python elective and it felt 100x better to work with.

You can't attack someone by saying that they're humble bragging that they learned X language when they started, it comes to user preference.

I have friends at other schools who started with Java and prefer it over anything else, and similar situations with friends who learned Python first.

It came down to preference, as some of those friends ended up liking language X over they language they first learned because of reasons A B C.

1 minute ago, HunterAP said:

Technically, I started with Visual Basic about 5 years ago (the IT Management major at my school is awfully behind), but when I switched to the Comp Sci major there, they used C++ almost exclusively (save for some specific courses that taught specific languages).

I then took a Python elective and it felt 100x better to work with.

You can't attack someone by saying that they're humble bragging that they learned X language when they started, it comes to user preference.

I have friends at other schools who started with Java and prefer it over anything else, and similar situations with friends who learned Python first.

It came down to preference, as some of those friends ended up liking language X over they language they first learned because of reasons A B C.

He's trying to say that everyone should start with C++ and everyone should be capable of doing that without getting discouraged just because he was able to do it. At the same time, he also contradicted himself.

20 hours ago, Railgun said:

EDIT: also this

eKRB3UZ.png

/r/quityourbullshit

I dont understand why you are being mean. Maybe because my views dont match yours? Do you also sniff around and give people subreddit references in your life?

It is time to grow up, fella. 

18 hours ago, Railgun said:

He's trying to say that everyone should start with C++ and everyone should be capable of doing that without getting discouraged just because he was able to do it. At the same time, he also contradicted himself.

Quote me where I said that 'everyone' should start with C++. There is a difference between 'anyone' and 'everyone'. Lets just say that I told 'everyone' to start with C++. See, I am presenting my point of view or in other words I am presenting my 'suggestion'. 

Plus tell me, what is there to fight about computer languages? 

You just 'sound' like a person who has too much time on his hand to argue about useless things on the internet. I hereby quit from the topic and this discussion. I need to invest my time in something else.

22 hours ago, Erik Sieghart said:

Start with a real OOP language. Python let's you cheat too much.

I've seen too much bad python code.

I've seen bad code in all languages. Bad code isn't a symptom of the language, just like a language can't make you write good code.

For learning, all that matters are the fundamentals, and python is perfectly fine in that regard. Obviously if someone has something specific in mind for development they might prefer one language over another, but python is absolutely adequate to get the absolute bare necessities of software development.

When it comes to writing "good software", that comes from learning skills and techniques that are completely language agnostic, and no language will inherently teach you those things. That stuff comes from experience, good mentoring, and from known and trusted resources (books, tech talks, etc.).

Gaming build:

Server build: