Fresh build stuttering/FPS drops

YoungLeiva

Hi, I just build my right 2 days ago (I have my set up in my signature) and I played League of Legends for the first time on it yesterday thinking I could run the settings high and when we are loading and just starting to pick items my FPS is around 220-250 and once the game starts it goes down to 130-180 but the problem is that at times it drops to 80 or so and theres some stuttering as well. I did a benchmark test and this is what I got in case it helps any http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/8848524 . If theres anything else you need to help me out let me know so I can provide the information. Thank you!

Specs:

CPU || Ryzen 2600

Motherboard || Gigabyte x470 Aorus Gaming 5

RAM || PNY Anarchy-X DDR4 16gb 32mhz

GPU || Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1070 Winforce OC

Case || Cougar Panzer Fortress

Storage || Samsung 960 EVO m.2 / WD Blue 2T HDD

PSU || EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1 80+Gold

Cooling || be quiet! BK009 Pure Rock CPU Cooler

Operating System || Windows 10

I'm So sorry no one has replied to your post yet. I will do my best to help. So first things first:

1) Is your BIOS uptodate

2) Have installed the proper drivers for your graphics card from nvidia.

3) If you are using dual module memory (i.e. 2 sticks of ram) check if both your ram sticks are seated properly, are all of them showing up in the bios. Are they both exactly the same that is to say same frequency, same capacity, same CAS latency.

since your processor is a high end processor it won't have onboard graphics so you would to make sure your graphics card drivers are uptodate and that your graphics card is running. 

Also have you overclocked your CPU if you have I would suggest going into the BIOS (by pressing F2 or the delete key multiple times) press F5 to reset back to optimized defaults. Another thing that might help would be to disable XMP memory profile (as it tends to sometimes mess about with the system settings).

Let me know how it goes and also I'm sorry for any spelling mistakes (autocorrect is my bane). 

Motherboard: Asus Z97-Deluxe, Processor: Intel i7-4790K@4.3GHz@1.150Volts, GPU: Asus ROG GTX980 Matrix (with a NZXT G10 bracket and a nzxt x41 AIO liquid cooler), Ram: Kingston HyperX 32GB 1866MHz CL10, PSU: Corsair Hx1200i, Storage: 1TB Seagate SSHD with a Kingston HyperX Fury 240GB SSD, Display: BenQ XL2411Z, Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB, Mouse: Razer Deathadder chroma.  

pc part picker list:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/hu0210/saved/#view=qHK6XL

1) I haven’t updated it, it’s how it came out of the box so I will check when I get home 

2) Yes, the drivers are up to date 

3) Yes the RAM is being read correctly but I will double check.

the cpu was stock when I did the bench mark and I ran Cinebench and was loading really slow. I then clocked it to 3.9 and everything loaded up faster I haven’t jumped in a game to see if that did anything but as soon as I get home I’ll try it out if it’s still doing that I’ll check everything you suggested and hopefully we can get it fixed. I appreciate you replying and helping!

Specs:

CPU || Ryzen 2600

RAM || PNY Anarchy-X DDR4 16gb 32mhz

See that's why, you put in ram for a 486... 32mhz is too slow ;)

Joking aside, hope you got it squared away.

1 hour ago, YoungLeiva said:

1) I haven’t updated it, it’s how it came out of the box so I will check when I get home 

2) Yes, the drivers are up to date 

3) Yes the RAM is being read correctly but I will double check.

the cpu was stock when I did the bench mark and I ran Cinebench and was loading really slow. I then clocked it to 3.9 and everything loaded up faster I haven’t jumped in a game to see if that did anything but as soon as I get home I’ll try it out if it’s still doing that I’ll check everything you suggested and hopefully we can get it fixed. I appreciate you replying and helping!

Okay, so you haven't updated your BIOS (which you need to do in order to fix stability issues). To update your BIOS one thing is are extremely crucial:

There have to be absolutely no power outages or trips in your area or in your house whatsoever. Why? because if there is a power outage and you are in the process of updating your BIOS, what will happen is that your motherboard will most probably be bricked (in other words useless, locked-up, paperweight). That is why it is absolutely "Critical" that there are no power outages or trips in your house whatsoever. 

It happened to me I was in the process of updating BIOS and my house's fusebox breaker tripped I lost a brand new Asus Z97Pro motherboard that day. However, you need to do this in order to fix stability issues.  

to update your BIOS you need to go to your motherboard's manufacturer website and find your motherboard model (https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/X470-AORUS-GAMING-5-WIFI-rev-10#support-dl-bios) where you'll download the latest version (i.e 2018/05/10 click on America to download). Once done, you grab any 8GB USB drive insert it, and format it (leave everything as default when formatting). After you've formatted the USB drive you extract the zip folder (which you've just downloaded) to your thumb drive and try to follow this video as closely as possible:

Before updating your BIOS, please load optimized defaults (which will reset your existing BIOS back to it's factory default settings) having an overclock and trying to update your BIOS will brick your motherboard.   

Once done it's normal for your computer to power on and off a couple of times (do not switch off or reset your computer during this) after which your computer should boot normally into Windows. Please be very calm and careful when updating your BIOS. If you are afraid (it's okay to be, it's better than losing a $300+ motherboard like I did) or this first time updating the BIOS you can take the pc to a reputable local shop and pay them around $10 or so to update your BIOS. With all of this being said I wish you good luck and hope that your issue gets resolved easily.

Motherboard: Asus Z97-Deluxe, Processor: Intel i7-4790K@4.3GHz@1.150Volts, GPU: Asus ROG GTX980 Matrix (with a NZXT G10 bracket and a nzxt x41 AIO liquid cooler), Ram: Kingston HyperX 32GB 1866MHz CL10, PSU: Corsair Hx1200i, Storage: 1TB Seagate SSHD with a Kingston HyperX Fury 240GB SSD, Display: BenQ XL2411Z, Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB, Mouse: Razer Deathadder chroma.  

pc part picker list:

Also before trying to update your BIOS, I would recommend that you backup your data do a clean install of Windows and load optimized defaults. As much as possible I would try to leave updating the BIOS as the last and final step. 

pc part picker list:

Okay so I updated the bios and I still get FPS drops in game, checked about the ram and it’s being read 3200mhz, drivers are up to date as well.

Specs:

CPU || Ryzen 2600

Okay so I updated the bios and I still get FPS drops in game, checked about the ram and it’s being read 3200mhz, drivers are up to date as well.

Check the cable (what cable are you using?) and monitor because what I found out was that when I switched from a dvi-d cable to an HDMI cable I noticed some tearing on my monitor I realised my monitor had a refresh rate of only 60Hz with the HDMI cable (something weird but it happens).

And check your CPU usage in task manager (control+alt+delete) it should be around 2% to 8% not more if it is download malwarebytes and do a scan.

If all of this still doesn't work and everything is connected properly then the only other thing I can think of is to try a clean installation of windows and check your graphics card if it causes stutters in an another system (If available) that works perfectly fine.

One thing which I have never done before is update the BIOS of the graphics card (because I'm not sure how to). I'm really sorry I'm asking a lot, it's because I'm really out of my depth over here. 

pc part picker list:

No problem dude I appreciate you helping, I was thinking of doing a fresh window install since after I installed bios it said that a kernel was missing and after I restarted it 3 times or so it started up no problem so I’ll prob do that after work and I’ll check the CPU usage after that. And for the connection I am using a dvi-d Cable. Also I noticed after the bios update my mouse stays on (idle not fully on but orange led on) and my keyboard turns on if I press a key when the computer is shut off. Is that a power settings imma have to change in the BIOS regarding that? You think Overclocking the GPU would do anything?

Specs:

CPU || Ryzen 2600

3 hours ago, YoungLeiva said:

No problem dude I appreciate you helping, I was thinking of doing a fresh window install since after I installed bios it said that a kernel was missing and after I restarted it 3 times or so it started up no problem so I’ll prob do that after work and I’ll check the CPU usage after that. And for the connection I am using a dvi-d Cable. Also I noticed after the bios update my mouse stays on (idle not fully on but orange led on) and my keyboard turns on if I press a key when the computer is shut off. Is that a power settings imma have to change in the BIOS regarding that? You think Overclocking the GPU would do anything?

Your keyboard and mouse LED lights which stay on even after the computer is powered off is normal I have the same thing on my computer it's completely normal. 

DVI-D connector is perfect I got the highest refresh rate (144Hz) on my Asus monitor using a DVI-D cable.

If you do want to change any power settings then you'll find the options in Windows in power and sleep settings.

I don't think overclocking the GPU will do much because even a base GTX1060 is capable of pulling 170fps in League Of Legends.

Looking at your benchmark test it points out that there are three main issues with your system:

1)The processor which could be overheating, or using too much CPU power in the background.

2)The RAM which could be either incompatible or XMP profile is not enabled or you need to press the MemOK (if your motherboard has it) button on your motherboard.

3) last but not least is your Samsung SSD which is performing below expectations which I find really interesting because you said your computer restarted 3 times and it mentioned kernel was missing. From what I understand the kernel sits in between the software (e.g. operating system) and the hardware (e.g. example given RAM, GPU, Processor).

Thank you for the update and all the info, with all of this being said I would suggest you focus on doing a clean install of Windows on a good old fashioned hard drive which you know works (hopefully it'll fix the issue) and then moving on to troubleshooting the RAM and the Processor. 

I heard that you have to change settings in the BIOS in boot settings in order to make an M.2 SSD work so I never really bought an M.2 SSD. I just stuck to Seagate barracuda 7200rpm hard drives.

Please not that the pictures I am showing are from my z97 motherboard manual yours will be different. The link to your motherboard manual is here (https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X470-AORUS-GAMING-5-WIFI-rev-10#support-dl)

IMG_20180522_115216.jpg

IMG_20180522_130906.jpg

IMG_20180522_130837.jpg

pc part picker list:

Okay so about the benchmark when I did it the first time for some reason after that result I opened up Ryzen master and noticed only 3 of the 6 cores were showing that were working so I restarted the computer and ever since all 6 work I did a bench mark at 3.9 and it worked good got my percentage up to 93 instead of 60 something. It showed the cpu usage at 2% one time then one at 13% then I ran it again and it was at 5%.

i just checked the ram compatibility on the site and I don’t see mine in sight and also noticed that the highest was 2933 supported you think that itself can be the issue?

also the m.2 is said to be supported on the list you think might just have to do some changes in the bios on that? Also if I put the ram lower will that change anything or not really since it not on the list? Will enabling XMP do anything?

I will do a clean install when I get home and do a benchmark as is, then I’ll install the newest drivers and do another after so you can see the results on that. 

and about the CPU over heating I don’t think it’s that as it shows that it’s at 30ish most of the time and when I had OC at 3.9 and ran the test that comes with Ryzen Master the highest temp it’s gotten to is 67.

Specs:

CPU || Ryzen 2600

Okay so about the benchmark when I did it the first time for some reason after that result I opened up Ryzen master and noticed only 3 of the 6 cores were showing that were working so I restarted the computer and ever since all 6 work I did a bench mark at 3.9 and it worked good got my percentage up to 93 instead of 60 something. It showed the cpu usage at 2% one time then one at 13% then I ran it again and it was at 5%.

i just checked the ram compatibility on the site and I don’t see mine in sight and also noticed that the highest was 2933 supported you think that itself can be the issue?

also the m.2 is said to be supported on the list you think might just have to do some changes in the bios on that? Also if I put the ram lower will that change anything or not really since it not on the list? Will enabling XMP do anything?

I will do a clean install when I get home and do a benchmark as is, then I’ll install the newest drivers and do another after so you can see the results on that. 

and about the CPU over heating I don’t think it’s that as it shows that it’s at 30ish most of the time and when I had OC at 3.9 and ran the test that comes with Ryzen Master the highest temp it’s gotten to is 67.

Your CPU usage is fine. It'll usually be between 2% and 15% that's normal my PC does the same thing it'll spike a little bit when you open task manager.

M.2 SSD is fine I think a clean installation of Windows will set it just right no issues here.

Your CPU temperatures are amazing in contrast I'm pushing 1.33 volts through my brother's i7-6800k just to get it stable at 4.1GHz and it's temperatures top out at about 79°C. With regards to your overclock your golden.

The issue (I'm almost certain and I'm sorry to say this) is your RAM the reason I say is because the speed is well above what your motherboard can handle. If your speed is not supported it usually means that the timings (of the RAM module) are not supported and if those are not supported it ultimately means the RAM altogether is not supported. 

When you put in RAM that is not supported by the motherboard 2 things will happen either a safety feature will kick in and the computer will refuse to boot altogether or it will lower (in other words detune) the RAM modules to a speed and timing that it can handle. Now the computer won't run at optimal settings but at least it'll run for the time being.

Before going and spending money on new modules that your motherboard supports do one thing just to be sure. Go into your BIOS and press F5 to load optimized defualts (this will reset back to optimal factory defualt settings) this will cause you to lose your overclock settings but at least you can be sure that it is the RAM and not something else. 

IMG_20180522_161007.jpg

pc part picker list:

Ok I will do that I’ll be getting off work soon so I should be able to update you, also I remember the ram being at 2400 and I moved it up to 2933.... also I have a buddy that got some ram when I did he got Corsair (one that is on my list) and is willing to trade for my 3200 his is 3000 and is on the list so that should probably be my move if it is the ram. Do a straight trade with him 

Specs:

CPU || Ryzen 2600

Just got home, this is the benchmark I have now just so you can see the difference "http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/8881050"

and after I set it on default what do I do?

Specs:

CPU || Ryzen 2600

okay so there was something that I just did that I didn't think of, I put the ram next to each other instead of offset I realized when I downloaded cpu-z and it said single instead of dual, now theyre on correctly and this is the new benchmark "http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/8882215"

went waaaay up. I think that might of been the problem! haha

Specs:

CPU || Ryzen 2600

okay so there was something that I just did that I didn't think of, I put the ram next to each other instead of offset I realized when I downloaded cpu-z and it said single instead of dual, now theyre on correctly and this is the new benchmark "http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/8882215"

Nice! What's happening is your ram is running as intended in dual channel mode (which according to my understanding is that the motherboard runs 2 sticks of ram more optimally than a single stick).

After you load optimized defaults in the BIOS all you have to then is just press F10 save and exit it'll restart and you're done.

If you can do a trade with your buddy to get the supported RAM otherwise you're good running your RAM modules in dual channel mode at the max supported speed (which I believe is 2933MHz if I'm not mistaken).

In your benchmark where it says latency is a bit low just ignore it, it's fine. The faster the RAM the lower the CAS latency which is fine because programs benefit more from high speed RAM than from lower CAS latency.

And as for your SSD forget about that too cause you'll fix any issues you have with the SSD when you do a clean install of windows (if you don't have Windows key I can provide you with one).

If you want you could try some other benchmarks (e.g. 3DMark, CPUMark, Cinebench, Unigene Valleybench, etc.).  

Other than that I dont know what else to say besides congratulations your system is running perfectly fine and that I'm glad to hear that it worked out.

pc part picker list:

10 hours ago, YoungLeiva said:

Also to improve performance of your AMD system id recommend following the steps in this video:

pc part picker list:

14 hours ago, Edwardk326 said:

Nice! What's happening is your ram is running as intended in dual channel mode (which according to my understanding is that the motherboard runs 2 sticks of ram more optimally than a single stick).

After you load optimized defaults in the BIOS all you have to then is just press F10 save and exit it'll restart and you're done.

If you can do a trade with your buddy to get the supported RAM otherwise you're good running your RAM modules in dual channel mode at the max supported speed (which I believe is 2933MHz if I'm not mistaken).

In your benchmark where it says latency is a bit low just ignore it, it's fine. The faster the RAM the lower the CAS latency which is fine because programs benefit more from high speed RAM than from lower CAS latency.

And as for your SSD forget about that too cause you'll fix any issues you have with the SSD when you do a clean install of windows (if you don't have Windows key I can provide you with one).

If you want you could try some other benchmarks (e.g. 3DMark, CPUMark, Cinebench, Unigene Valleybench, etc.).  

Other than that I dont know what else to say besides congratulations your system is running perfectly fine and that I'm glad to hear that it worked out.

Yeah that was the last thing on my mind that I had put the ram wrong haha I’m glad it was something simple as just putting it in the correct slot. I’m going to end up keeping it since it’s working fine and yeah the max is 2933 and it’s running fine. 

I was trying to do a clean install of windows yesterday, downloaded the imagine creating tool from windows and tried to put it on my USB but kept giving me an error. After like 5 tries it wouldn’t even start would just stay at 0% so I don’t know how to go about it and if you would be able to give me a key that would be great! Been having that watermark on the right hand side haha. Also another thing I noticed with the m.2 is that when I was looking at all 3 drives it had a little exclamation mark and when I went to it it said it wasn’t optimized and it gave me the option to do it and was thinking of doing it after the windows installation. I’m hoping doing that would fix the m.2 problem.

and will do about the video I was actually watching that one last night while I was trying to make the usb to install windows lol.

Specs:

CPU || Ryzen 2600

3 hours ago, YoungLeiva said:

Yeah that was the last thing on my mind that I had put the ram wrong haha I’m glad it was something simple as just putting it in the correct slot. I’m going to end up keeping it since it’s working fine and yeah the max is 2933 and it’s running fine. 

I was trying to do a clean install of windows yesterday, downloaded the imagine creating tool from windows and tried to put it on my USB but kept giving me an error. After like 5 tries it wouldn’t even start would just stay at 0% so I don’t know how to go about it and if you would be able to give me a key that would be great! Been having that watermark on the right hand side haha. Also another thing I noticed with the m.2 is that when I was looking at all 3 drives it had a little exclamation mark and when I went to it it said it wasn’t optimized and it gave me the option to do it and was thinking of doing it after the windows installation. I’m hoping doing that would fix the m.2 problem.

and will do about the video I was actually watching that one last night while I was trying to make the usb to install windows lol.

Normally if there isn't an operating system installed, your computer would automatically boot from from wherever is the installation media (USB or CD drive). Undoubtedly you already know where to download windows 10 from here (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO)  and the installation tool you can get it from here (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=56485).

if the Windows media installation tool is giving you errors,you can try using Rufus media installation tool (https://rufus.akeo.ie/). I generally never encountered an error when using Rufus below is a link showing how to do this

during the windows installation you'd want to choose custom installation and you'd want to delete all existing partitions and format all the drives you have.

and lastly I'd recommend loading the optimized defualts in the BIOS before doing a clean installation of windows.

I'll try to look for the CD key for Windows 8.1 meanwhile checkout SCDKey they have windows 10 keys for around $14 and they're legit here is the link (https://www.scdkey.com/microsoft-windows-10-pro-oem-cd-key-global_1227-20.html).

Selection_001.png

Selection_002.png

Selection_003.png

pc part picker list:

Will do, gonna watch the video and do a clean install, and if you can find the key great let me know if not same let me know so I can buy one. Thanks you much appreciated!

Specs:

CPU || Ryzen 2600

the latest benchmark "http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/8898878"

after doing a fresh install and installing all the drivers. :]

Specs:

CPU || Ryzen 2600

5 hours ago, YoungLeiva said:

the latest benchmark "http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/8898878"

after doing a fresh install and installing all the drivers. :]

Congratulations man your PC is running optimally at a 100% efficiency without any issues. Now all is remaining is to start gaming or if it is is a workstation start developing whichever you like, good luck man :)

pc part picker list: