Chevy Bolt EVs backordered by up to a year in Canada

17 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

You still have the repeated emissions from the manufacturing of the batteries to consider-batteries that have a rather short useful lifespan of 2-3 years.

WTF are you talking about batteries last much longer than that. Look it up. (As long as you don't use it as a taxi or something)

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

9 hours ago, kokakolia said:

The problem with electric cars is that they haven’t been figured out for a long time. So early EVs have depreciated really fast and have been abandoned for better EVs with more range. 

Further, I would argue that buying a used car is better for the environment than an EV and costs way less. 

Keeping the Petrol car you already have for 9 years rather than 7 years before getting a new car is better too.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

8 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

The Ampere-e is a rebadged Bolt. The Ampere, appears to be a rebadged Volt. Remember, GM owned Opel until 2017 (where it was sold to Groupe PSA (Peugeot)).

GM definitely designed the entire car. Opel/Vauxhall can likely still produce the Ampere/Ampere-e due to license deals made when Groupe PSA purchased Opel, since both the Volt and Bolt were already under production when Opel was sold (thus, the Amepre/Ampere-e were also already under production under the GM ownership).

Anyway, that's neither here nor there though. The Volt and Bolt are most certainly "American" designs.

i pretty sure the ampera is a clone of the volt and not the other way around. Most likely part of the sale deal with GM.

The volt was launched first and the design is clearly american.

PSA only recently launched a division for electric cars:

https://electrek.co/2018/04/09/peugeot-citroen-psa-new-ev-division/

I liked Opel, but since the sale i would never consider a PSA car, they are mostly crap.

edit: the article confirms it.

11 hours ago, Mihle said:

Keeping the Petrol car you already have for 9 years rather than 7 years before getting a new car is better too.

This just makes me sad in the working world. Brand new trucks are driven ~200,000km for ~5 years then sold and replaced. It’s a common company policy in Canada to discard work trucks after 300,000km/10 years. And it’s not like these trucks are built to last either. Trucks kinda fall apart if you don’t always drive them on the highway or smooth roads for a while. They could be much tougher. 

17 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

This just makes me sad in the working world. Brand new trucks are driven ~200,000km for ~5 years then sold and replaced. It’s a common company policy in Canada to discard work trucks after 300,000km/10 years. And it’s not like these trucks are built to last either. Trucks kinda fall apart if you don’t always drive them on the highway or smooth roads for a while. They could be much tougher. 

Every company that I know of that only drives trucks to 200K miles turns around and sells them pretty damn cheap, and often in good condition. It's just that keeping them maintained for constant heavy lifting becomes exponentially costly after a certain point. For consumers and construction workers, they're perfectly capable with regulatory maintenance.

Also, I've yet to seen a Ford, Dodge, Toyota, Navistar International, or Sterling fall apart just from not driving them. After an oil change and purging any bad gas, they run pretty damn well. Abused trucks fall apart, trucks abandoned to the weather fall apart, no different from cars.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

12 hours ago, kokakolia said:

isn't the 5 years more because of leasing?

and the 10 years lets be fair the upkeep probably would be a nightmare, they would cost a lot and you'd have them stopped for more time than ideal. No company wants a car broken on the side of the road, could loose a contract and have the employee sitting on its ass.