Chevy Bolt EVs backordered by up to a year in Canada

Source: https://electrek.co/2018/05/18/chevy-bolt-ev-backordered-canada/

In Canada there is a significant demand and limited availability of the Chevy Bolt that it has created a backlog of up to a year.

“There is currently a waiting list for the Bolt EV in Canada. This is not uncommon with launch products, particularly such unique game changers like the Bolt EV. We have also seen an increase in demand for the popular Volt,”

So. A lot of those in Canada want to stop air pollution from cars and move it to direct environmental pollution.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

4 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

So. A lot of those in Canada want to stop air pollution from cars and move it to direct environmental pollution.

Hmmmmm. That statement doesn't make much sense. Most of our power generation is hydro, wind, and a little bit of coal/oil/natural gas, with some nuclear in one province. If your talking about the cost of to make the batteries then it makes more sense. still though you CAN recycle a lot of the components from dead batteries as well. We push that a lot here :) 

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

I wonder if they are suffering battery supply problems?

Or are there average pollution targets across manufactures in the US? If they are making a loss on each Bolt sold, which doesn't seem implausible given the cost of batteries, they may want to make just enough to hit a CO2 target.

1 hour ago, Dabombinable said:

there are other things at play. If there weren't any more petrol cars there wouldn't be so much pollution in the streets especially in the cities, it's really bad to your health.

Even if i agree you're just shifting the problem elsewhere. 

seems expensive for what looks like a small car on the photo, but the range seems perfectly fine to me.

1 hour ago, 8uhbbhu8 said:

Hmmmmm. That statement doesn't make much sense. Most of our power generation is hydro, wind, and a little bit of coal/oil/natural gas, with some nuclear in one province. If your talking about the cost of to make the batteries then it makes more sense. still though you CAN recycle a lot of the components from dead batteries as well. We push that a lot here :) 

As in pollution from the process of manufacturing the components & mining the minerals required.

PMSL

51 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

As in pollution from the process of manufacturing the components & mining the minerals required.

Can we please stop propagating this myth 

https://science.howstuffworks.com/science-vs-myth/everyday-myths/does-hybrid-car-production-waste-offset-hybrid-benefits1.htm

https://cleantechnica.com/2017/10/22/10-myths-electric-cars-explored-exploded/

Overall and after usage, hybrids and Evs are still better than ICE cars.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

2 hours ago, Castdeath97 said:

to be fair they make good and bad points, you can't debunk myths creating another myths like this for example:

"Electric car batteries are largely recyclable (~95% of the materials in them can be recycled) and there is little chance they will simply be discarded in landfills at the end of their useful life"

this is not true, it may become true, but it isn't true.

4 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Electrical cars do still pollute less than petrol cars over it lifetime as long as you aren't trowning away after the first years. Including both construction, recycling and usage pollution.

Look it up.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

59 minutes ago, Mihle said:

Electrical cars do still pollute less than petrol cars over it lifetime as long as you aren't trowning away after the first years. Including both construction, recycling and usage pollution.

Look it up.

You still have the repeated emissions from the manufacturing of the batteries to consider-batteries that have a rather short useful lifespan of 2-3 years.

PMSL

19 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

You still have the repeated emissions from the manufacturing of the batteries to consider-batteries that have a rather short useful lifespan of 2-3 years.

batteries in electric cars last a lot longer than that for a normal use

2 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

2-3 years? That’s insane and blatantly false.

See myth #7 from the second article. A Nissan Leaf still has 80% battery capacity (and therefore range) after 120,000 miles (just shy of 200,000 km). Tesla’s still have 90% capacity after 200,000 miles (around 320,000 km). 

If you’re driving 67,000 km per year (that’s 200,000 km over 3 years), that’s insane and not typical of the vast majority of car drivers.

And in an ICE, you’re gonn run that thing into the ground just as fast at that rate (and your upkeep maintenance is going to be huge - we’re talking like 8+ oil changes per year using regular cheap engine oil. Or between 4.5 and 7 oil changes for synthetic - for reference, I have about 1.5 oil changes per year for my car with synthetic oil, and I drive a decent amount). 

So let’s not kid ourselves. Running a modern electric is not terrible anymore. Even if your electricity comes from say coal, it’s still about 25% less emissions compared to an ICE. That percentage only grows as you use cleaner energy. 

And Canada uses predominantly clean and/or renewable energy sources (hydro and nuclear being the biggest sources, with wind and solar taking up a decent chunk too). 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just chiming in, a leaf battery isn't quite that good.  Maybe in somewhere that doesn't freeze but not here where we get actual winter. 

Source: my coworker owns a leaf

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Hey Canada, there's always the E-Golf. It's everything you love about the standard Golf, except, it's electric. I just hate those qwerky looking egg shaped electric cars other manufacturers are making. Just make it look like a regular car dammit. 

Image result for eGolf

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 hour ago, Yoinkerman said:

Just chiming in, a leaf battery isn't quite that good.  Maybe in somewhere that doesn't freeze but not here where we get actual winter. 

Source: my coworker owns a leaf

Any electric car will see reduced range in the winter. That’s not something unique to the Leaf.

Furthermore the Leaf simply has poor range to begin with, at under 250 km. For comparison, the Bolt should get around 380 km. 

Frankly I just don’t think the Leaf is a very good car unless you’re an urbanite who stays in town. 

Any electric car will lose between 10%-40% maximum range in the winter, depending on many factors. 

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

The problem with electric cars is that they haven’t been figured out for a long time. So early EVs have depreciated really fast and have been abandoned for better EVs with more range. 

Further, I would argue that buying a used car is better for the environment than an EV and costs way less. 

1 minute ago, kokakolia said:

The problem with electric cars is that they haven’t been figured out for a long time. So early EVs have depreciated really fast and have been abandoned for better EVs with more range. 

Further, I would argue that buying a used car is better for the environment than an EV and costs way less. 

Buying an existing car is better than buying a new car, yes. But everyone can't just buy used cars - that's unsustainable. Someone has to buy that new car, so that you can buy it from them used.

So, those who do look at new cars - would you rather they buy yet another ICE? Or would you like them to consider an EV, so that one day they can possibly sell it to you for much cheaper than they paid?

Personally, I need the range of an ICE or Hybrid, since I frequently make trips that could max out the range of an EV. But I would definitely consider getting the Chevy Volt (It's the plug-in Hybrid version of this) - it has something like a 600-700 km range, since it has a 1.5L ICE to extend the range of the battery.

im glad the german car is popular in canada 
(the volt is just a rebadged ampera) 
Bildergebnis für opel ampera

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

1 minute ago, Space Reptile said:

im glad the german car is popular in canada 
(the volt is just a rebadged ampera) 
-snip-

Heh... looks like that might be the other way around:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Bolt

A rebadged European variant is sold as the Opel Ampera-e.

Just now, dalekphalm said:

Heh... looks like that might be the other way around:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Bolt

thats the new one (ampera-e) , the OG volt is a rebadged ampera afaik 
Bildergebnis für chevy volt

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

30 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Buying an existing car is better than buying a new car, yes. But everyone can't just buy used cars - that's unsustainable. Someone has to buy that new car, so that you can buy it from them used.

So, those who do look at new cars - would you rather they buy yet another ICE? Or would you like them to consider an EV, so that one day they can possibly sell it to you for much cheaper than they paid?

Personally, I need the range of an ICE or Hybrid, since I frequently make trips that could max out the range of an EV. But I would definitely consider getting the Chevy Volt (It's the plug-in Hybrid version of this) - it has something like a 600-700 km range, since it has a 1.5L ICE to extend the range of the battery.

That’s very true. I guess I can’t stomach the idea of spending more than $10k on a car. But it’s different for most other people.

My household has two cars, I'm strongly considering an ev once its time to replace our old escape

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

50 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

thats the new one (ampera-e) , the OG volt is a rebadged ampera afaik 
Bildergebnis für chevy volt

The Ampere-e is a rebadged Bolt. The Ampere, appears to be a rebadged Volt. Remember, GM owned Opel until 2017 (where it was sold to Groupe PSA (Peugeot)).

GM definitely designed the entire car. Opel/Vauxhall can likely still produce the Ampere/Ampere-e due to license deals made when Groupe PSA purchased Opel, since both the Volt and Bolt were already under production when Opel was sold (thus, the Amepre/Ampere-e were also already under production under the GM ownership).

Anyway, that's neither here nor there though. The Volt and Bolt are most certainly "American" designs.

32 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

That’s very true. I guess I can’t stomach the idea of spending more than $10k on a car. But it’s different for most other people.

I spent $27,000 on my current car. I bought it brand new because:

1. I was financing, so I wanted a rock solid warranty, and the financing interest rate would have been impossible to match with a used car (0% baby).

2. I needed it for work and was going to be doing a fair bit of driving. Therefore, buying used (let's say 100,00 km) meant that I wouldn't be able to put as much mileage onto the car.

Mine is a 2014 and it's sitting at about 95,000 km already. Certainly not the most km's on a car that old, but it's still a fair bit.

By buying a used car, all it meant was that I would have to buy another used car sooner than I would otherwise.

Definitely not the decision everyone would or should make, but it was the right call for me.

people see the price of gas at the pump go up

driving their full size trucks and suv's

and its hitting their wallet

they do not want to drive the medium cars or small cars

nor do they want to walk, ride bicycle, or take transit

and with their new car every 3 or 4 years because they fear old cheap cars